Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfbug77            10-11-2004, 11:20 PM Reply   
I am a complete newbie and just started reading past posts. I surf and my fiance wakeboards and has a Crownline 26ft 266CR boat. What type of boat do we need to try wakesurfing? We are considering trading/selling our current boat and buying something else. Will our boat create a wake that's rideable and how do we weight it? What are the best boats for wakeboarding and wakesurfing?
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-11-2004, 11:49 PM Reply   
I would never surf behind an IO.

Bigger and wider boats make better surf wakes.

Smaller and more narrow boats make better wakeboard wakes.

Any BU or Tige or Supra v-drive will make a nice surf wake with the proper weighting.

IMO, the BU 21' v-drive is a great choice for wakeboarding and wakesurfing.

Here's my buddy JR at Shasta with my VLX doing all the work.

Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-12-2004, 8:09 AM Reply   
malibu LSV or VLX

Old     (lksamm)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-12-2004, 9:43 AM Reply   
I surf behind a Centurion ENZO. It throws a great wake and it has SideSwipe exhaust (you can hit a button and send all the exhaust to the side of the boat you aren't surfing). It was designed specifically for wake surfing. Centurion is the first boat company to really take wake surfing seriously.

Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-12-2004, 9:55 AM Reply   
Dang, thats a clean and long wake! Whats the weight configuration on it? That guy or girl is way back there.
Old    anabanana            10-12-2004, 10:39 AM Reply   
Mark, Give Debbie Page, the surfer, some credit! :-)
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-12-2004, 12:20 PM Reply   
I have a Tige 20v and it puts out a great wakesurfing wake without needing a ton of weight. Here's some pics...

Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-12-2004, 12:31 PM Reply   
Bill, does your tige have the "cupped" rails that Tige adopted a couple of years ago?

I was thinking that such a design would really help make a clean big surf wake when the rail is dug into the water.
Old     (lksamm)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-12-2004, 2:20 PM Reply   
I have about 500lb of lead plus a fat sac in the left rear locker. I also fill up the 250lb ballast on both sides. We have people on both sides of the boat. It tends to take the lip off the wake. Debbie's actually finishing a turn. She started about 8 to 10ft back from where she is. There are more pics a www.inlandsurfer.com
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-12-2004, 10:04 PM Reply   
GD my boat is a 2002 so, uh, maybe. I'm not sure what you mean by cupped, but the rails do turn down a little at the outside edge. Whatever shape they are, the wake is very nice.
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-13-2004, 8:16 AM Reply   
Kim - It sounds like he isn't ready to give up wakeboarding to completely wakesurf, so I would suggest getting an 2000-2005 V-Drive malibu, centurion, supra, or Calabria. I have surfed behind all of them and they all are great wakes when weighted properly.

I would guess even a Nauti would work nicely, although I haven't surfed behind one. Nice wakeboarding wake though. Top of the line boats, just don't have any experience with surfing behind them.

I have a 2002 Cal-Air Pro-V and after a couple of days of playing with the wake, we got a pretty good big long wakesurfing wake. And it was easy to switch around the weight for wakeboarding (just moved one 600lb fat sac to the other side and away we went for wakeboarding).

Timmy