Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-20-2011, 9:18 PM Reply   
I need a little board advice. A good friend of mine recently got into wakeboarding and is looking for a board. He's a bigger guy - about 6'1'' and 220 pounds. Right now, he can cross the wakes heelside and toeside, but can't do much else. He's an athletic guy with absolutely no fear (as an aside, his lack of fear resulted in me pushing him around in a wheelchair for 2 months in junior high school after he broke both of his ankes riding motocross) so I fully expect him to be going wake to wake next season, and to be trying some base inverts within the next year or so. I know there are a lot of guys in here who work with beginners frequently, and I'd really appreciate some board suggestions. Basically, I'm looking for something for him that'll be forgiving but will also allow him to get to the next level without having to buy another board. I've heard that the franchise is a good, versatile board, but know there must be others. So let me know your thoughts! And have a great Thanksgiving!
Old     (Wakeska89)      Join Date: Jan 2011       11-20-2011, 10:35 PM Reply   
Check out the lf witness. great board for everything
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-20-2011, 11:41 PM Reply   
Trip 146 - no doubt
Old     (supra_21v)      Join Date: Apr 2008       11-21-2011, 5:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexair View Post
Trip 146 - no doubt
LF Trip has my vote as well. Good all around board for sure!
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       11-21-2011, 6:07 AM Reply   
L.F. Trip 146 x3
Old     (skippabcool)      Join Date: Mar 2011       11-21-2011, 6:12 AM Reply   
LF Trip 146 x4

That is what I started on last year and I am about the same as your buddy. Great board.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-21-2011, 7:30 AM Reply   
Lets make it 5x. Trip 146
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-21-2011, 7:31 AM Reply   
...just put the smaller fins on it though.
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       11-21-2011, 8:26 AM Reply   
I know I'll take some heat. O'brien 142 Clutch. Easy on the wallet, and a nice board to progress on.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-21-2011, 9:23 AM Reply   
CWB Faction 144

Good smooth ride with good pop. Faction package is a good deal as well.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       11-21-2011, 4:34 PM Reply   
Franchise 142 would be an awesome choice
Old     (steezin4noreason)      Join Date: Mar 2009       12-01-2011, 7:24 AM Reply   
Trip 146
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-03-2011, 12:36 AM Reply   
I'm 6'02" 195-225 depending on the years. I started wakeboarding about 13 years ago. I bought my first board 11 years ago and it was a LF trip 143. That board allowed me to progress and get better, took a beating through the years, and I held onto it until last year. I learned to go wake to wake on that board, and then do a few grabs and stuff. I love that board and what it did for me. The Trip isn't a beginner board. It is an all around intermediate board that you can learn to pop up and ride on to.

Plus whatever we are on now. LF Trip.
Old     (cuppy)      Join Date: Feb 2011       12-03-2011, 4:52 AM Reply   
Ronix one 146......Im 6"2" 205 and i wouldn't ride anything under a 146. its a good all around board.142's and 143's when you cut hard the front fin catches. To get a 220 lb dude wake to wake he has to cut hard.

Last edited by cuppy; 12-03-2011 at 4:56 AM. Reason: messed up
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-03-2011, 10:22 AM Reply   
Cuppy...

I'm 6'6" 215 and I ride a 142 and while I sometimes wish I had a bigger board, it's actually a good size. I was 230 when i rode all last summer, didn't have to cut hard at all. It's all about learning proper technique. I don't cut harder than any of my smaller friends, unless i intend to charge into the flats.

No one has suggested this, but have it check out the Watson Classic. It can be a little wily at first with it's sometimes abrupt pop, but I've been riding it since way back when I was about 250. It sticks when you want it to, but is real easy to break loose and slide around on. Plus I've had a few toeside 180s go horribly wrong and wind up being toeside 90s that I was able to slide along on and get the board back under me without catching an edge.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-03-2011, 1:23 PM Reply   
The Ronix Viva seems to have always been a good, fast, consistant board that is good for beginners and pro level riders alike. They make a 144 that should work.
http://ronixwake.com/default_mens.as...ivaModelloEdtn

My number one choice for a beginner though would be the the Ronix Vault It is specifally designed for beginners and to help them gain confidence and get them in the correct position for toe side airs. It actually has different features on the toeside and the heelside of the board. They make a 144 in this board as well.
http://ronixwake.com/default_mens.as...keboards/Vault

Pair either with Ronix District or Divide open toe boots and you got a great setup.
Old     (rmotoxxx711)      Join Date: Oct 2008       12-03-2011, 2:28 PM Reply   
This guy sounds like he's gonna be pushin himself so he's gonna need something that will carry a lot of speed if ^he wants it to but be controllable and track well at the same time. Being a heavier/bigger dude he is obviously going to force the board to ride deeper in the water which will slow down the realease off the wake, so in turn he will want a board that rides higher on the water and has really good pop but is at the same time predictable pop... The Hyperlite 144 B side would do everything for this guy that I just mentioned while being easy to ride but will in no way hold him back and allow him to progress is far as possible. He can remove the optional fin and make it looser and cut a little harder and allows it to release off the wake sooner for tricks as he progresses.

The trip was a bad @$$ board in it's day but for the way you describe your buddy it's just not enough board for him, too mellow of a rocker and just out dated of a board in my opinion. The swing weight on the b side (which is the reason I personally switched from last years Marek to the Bside) is amazing. I can confidently say if he was to get a Bside there's not a doubt in my mind he'd love it
Old     (Delt725)      Join Date: Mar 2011       12-04-2011, 12:11 PM Reply   
Hyperlite B Side is a good choice but the smaller molded fins may prove a bit difficult to manage at first. The Ronix Vault is a great board too. Very beginner friendly but I've watched my buddies jump on it and crush it as well. A great all around board to always have on the boat for a user-friendly board.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-05-2011, 7:37 AM Reply   
The Trip has been upgraded from the original design. Its very stable, has great speed and the pop is big, smooth and predictable. Its all technique. Dont buy into all the hype of new shapes.