Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-15-2006, 9:01 AM Reply   
Saw this billboard on my way to work and immediately took notice.

"20 Deaths and still counting"
http://www.skiboatdeaths.com/

I had to see what it was pertaining to so, I went to the web page to have a look. It's regarding the death of this person's son from CO while teak surfing and tring to make some changes to the ski boat industry and informing the public.

First off, I have to state that it's a terrible thing to loose any loved ones and I totally feel for this person.

However, I have a couple of issues.

Reading through the web page, couple of things I didn't like about what this person has and is doing. He has won a wrongful death suit against Calabria for his son's death. Not Calabria's fault in my mind. Who would think that breathing exhaust fumes would be good for you? Also, there is no mention of his son wearing a lifevest. Almost sounds like if he was, he'd be suing the lifevest company.

Second, this person is proposing that skiboat companies put catalytic converters on ski boats to "fix" the problem. I can understand creating an anti teaksurf law but, catalytic converters are surely not going to elimate the CO problem. If you hang out back there when the engine is running you're going to be exposed to CO no matter what you do. Side exhaust will help the problem but, you're still be exposed to some levels of CO. This really not a solution.

What really needs to be done is educating the public. Forcing boaters to take safety courses in both driving a boat and safe operation.

Chris
Get the Grip you Deserve
www.wakejunky.com