Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-22-2012, 5:03 PM Reply   
I am finally stepping into the world of digital camcorders but have no idea where to start. I would like to spend less than $300 and would prefer HD to at least 720p. Also, I don't know if this technology exists, but it would be cool if I could get it to wirelessly transmit to a nearby tv in real time. Can you guys throw me some suggestions? Waterproof isn't a must, but ease of shooting is.
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-22-2012, 6:12 PM Reply   
I'm not a camera guy, but I think you are a bit late to the party. Why buy a $300 camcorder when cell phones like the iPhone shoot HD, are about the same price and do so much more. You can even edit, text, email or post the video on the net without a computer.

My wife wanted one of those little handheld camcorders against my advise and we never use it.

If you want a camcorder, spend the extra cash and get a nice digital camera that does quality video or just stick with a smart phone.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-22-2012, 8:15 PM Reply   
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-...p_ob_p_title_1

you will be VERY happy with this camera as a camcorder (I have last year's model, the FZ35, and it beats my canon vixia HD camcorder hands down) not to mention that it takes really nice pics too. It has a real lens with a real zoom, which is an absolute must if you are shooting behind the boat.

Comparing this camera's HD video to an iphone or flip isn't a fair comparison at all.
Old    bigdtx            01-23-2012, 9:54 AM Reply   
I have a Toshiba X100 - it works great for me.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003DZ1224/...SIN=B003DZ1224
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-23-2012, 10:17 AM Reply   
BigD-

What are you using for a memory card? How long of recording time does that give you? How is the battery life? This will be used indoors mostly so zoom isn't a concern.
Old    bigdtx            01-23-2012, 10:38 AM Reply   
Hi Mark -

I use class 10 32GB sd cards. You need class 10 if you want to record in 1080 - otherwise the video will be choppy - I saw this when using a class 4 card for testing. Luckily they are pretty cheap now. I thing you can use a 64GB card in this camera but not needed for me.

The specs for a 32GB card are as follows (from the GoPro website - but they are standard across all cameras):

Recording time will vary according to the resolution setting used and the card capacity.
Here are the average recording storage times for a 32GB SD card:
1080p (30 fps): 4h 21m
960p (30 fps): 5h 26m
720p (60 fps): 4h 21
720p (30 fps): 8h 09m
WVGA (60 fps): 8h 09m

I've never hit close to 4hrs so can't comment personally - I've never run out of space on a 32GB card.
Battery has been fine for me. I generally shoot 720p - it looks good enough and uses a lot less space.