Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (ogopogo)      Join Date: May 2005       07-25-2006, 12:16 PM Reply   
I won't get into how my buddies boat got flooded (it's a mystery) but there was water over the floorboards when he went to head out one morning.

He has dried the boat completely out for the past 3 days in 95/35 to 102/39 hot dry weather.

Just wondering if the starter and alt have had enough time to dry out before cranking it over?
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-25-2006, 12:19 PM Reply   
starters dont like getting wet at all......

sand all the connections to take off the corrosion and cross your fingers.
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-25-2006, 12:19 PM Reply   
I had water cover my starter as well. It took about 1 year before it rusted shut. I would say to replace it as soon as you can to avoid being stuck were you don't want to be.
Old    bigrich            07-25-2006, 12:20 PM Reply   
They are probably dry but if submerged there life span has been cut very short. electrical stuff does not like to be submerged for any time at all.
Also would be a good time to lube/replace steering cable if it was under as well. They will seize up after getting water in them.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-25-2006, 12:37 PM Reply   
like everyone else said....it cut the life span considerably. You coudl try spraying it first with WD-40 to try and displace any water still left, then spray with corrosion x. West marine carries it (it's great at preventing rust in saltwater environments)
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-25-2006, 12:38 PM Reply   
and carry a larger scrwedriver with you or something similar...if the starter starts to stick you can sometimes knock it loose by lightly tapping it.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-25-2006, 1:55 PM Reply   
Every time I've seen this happen the starter goes out a few mos later. If you take the starter apart, you can usually dump out about a cup of rusty water.

Take the starter off the motor ASAP. They're usually fairly easy to pull the end caps off by removing 3 or 4 tie-rod bolts. Clean the rotor & stator, blow out with compressed air, and let them dry separately. Soak everything in WD40, wipe off the excess, and put it back together. This should extend the life as much as possible.

The alternator really doesn't hold water inside AFAIK, so as long as you didn't run the boat while it's wet, it will probably be OK. Let it dry and apply some WD40 love as well.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-26-2006, 12:43 PM Reply   
Yep, just like others have said. I submerged my starter and it died later that season.

I would say run it until the starter begins to act up. Mine gave me plenty of warning. You know, turn the key, a click then nothing, turn the key again and it starts.

Are you sure the alternator got wet? They are pretty high on the engine! The alternator might be okay though is they have "slip rings" instead of a commutator. If anything it will be the bearings that fail, so if you start hearing a new squeal from the engine then you better change the alternator out ASAP.

If the water was high enough to cover the alternator then I would also be concerned about water getting into the oil. If the water level was above the top of the dipstick tube then I would just change the oil right off. Either way, check the oil frequently the next time you go out. If the oil starts to look like chocolate milk then it is a clear sign that there is water in there and it needs to be changed immediatly.
Old     (ogopogo)      Join Date: May 2005       07-26-2006, 1:07 PM Reply   
Thanks guys, he checked the oil and tranny fluid, both okay. took all the corrosion of the terminals. After drying it out for 3 days it started fine, ran fine, and started fine...........again and again. Fingers crossed that the starter lasts until the winter.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-26-2006, 1:45 PM Reply   
Some alts like mine are down about the level of the starter.

I've dumped rusty, scaley water out of probably ten starters now, two of my own and several friends'. If I get my starter wet again, I'm going to do what I recommended above rather than just let it go a few mos until it quits working. By then, it's probably too late to save. If you dry it out and WD40 it now, it might never fail due to being wet. It would be a quick job, less than an hour.
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       07-26-2006, 3:22 PM Reply   
all i know is the starter on my boat takes about an hour to get off do to its location, so in my opinion starter removal is an easy task just its location makes it a beotch on a dd boat