Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-26-2004, 6:51 PM Reply   
Ok, so far this year I have learned tantrums, backrolls, raleys, scarecrows, hs fs 3, wrap 3, and most of my 180s grabbed. Anyone have any suggestions for a new trick. My 360s are very inconsistent and is something I would like to make consistent. But I also want to learn some newer tricks. I was thinking TS 3 or TS 5 since my ts is very weak. Also I should learn a ts frontoll which is probably easy with a scarecrow on my list. Also TS backroll. Please any help on what I should learn and some instruction on how to do it.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-26-2004, 7:30 PM Reply   
TS 3 is easy, just go off the wake do a 180 and the way up and another 180 on the way down and land it wrapped. that is the way that i learned how to do them, after those then learn to pass it earlier to learn the 5
Old                07-26-2004, 7:31 PM Reply   
I think you thinking on the right track. You just need to pick one and go for it. Since you have the scarecrow, the front roll should be an easy addition to your quiver. Also, once you get ts backrolls, ts backroll 2 revert is pretty easy to add. you just have to try them. on your heelside you could go for krypts, hoochie glides, fronts, wrapped kgb. These are all tricks that don't require handle passes. so I think you are free to choose. another good ts trick is a half cab roll: pretty easy.

I suggest you work on a couple at a time. Thats what I like to do so that I don't get in a learning rut. I suggest trying each trick six or seven times and if you aren't progressing comeback to it. right now I'm working on crow mobes and tootsie rolls. I am currently in a rut. I can land on the board with the rope, I just can't put on the finishing touches.

Another thing I would suggest is only doing a couple of warm up tricks and saving your strength for learning your new tricks.

if you want to pick a couple of tricks off this list i'll give you some detailed help. what works even better is if you try it first and comeback with what went wrong or right.

Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-26-2004, 7:51 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. Special thanks to Biwwy. I really want some solid spinning and a ts 3 and 5 would really help that. Plus I hear the ts 5 is the easiest off axis rotation. I went for a hoochie and landed it krypt and fell, so I think that isnt very far away if I go for them more. Also a TS backroll sounds like another good adition. You are right though, I should try a bunch of tricks and stick with the closest ones (for example, I started scarecrows 4 weeks ago and couldnt land for I go for a raley two weeks ago and land one on my 4th attempt. I wanted the scarecrow more, but I will take any tricks that come easier). I have gone for like 3 ts 5's, but I should probably learn a 3 first.
Old                07-27-2004, 9:11 AM Reply   
I would recommend learning the 3 with a handle pass right off the bat. You might as well get good at them because if you want to take your riding to the next level it is necessary to be good at handle passing.

for spinning, you need to make sure you leave the wake first before you try and spin. make sure you keep your head up and concentrate on the handle pass. don't try and spinthe board. the spinning will be accomplished by pulling the rope and looking with your head. once you get the 3, it only takes a harder pull on the rope for the 5. sorry, I can't help with the off axis. one final tip is that if when you are falling you are seeing any part of your board, you probably putting your head down.

ts backroll: think about the form you use on your hs br. stand nice and tall, ride all the way up the wake before you throw the trick. make sure you keep the handle nice and tight to your hip throughout. about midway through the rotation let go with your back hand and make sure the rope ends up near where your back pocket would be. if you are skidding out on your butt, you are probably throwing the trick too hard and early. you just have to work on the timing and slow down the rotation.

scarecrow: the three biggest mistakes i see people make are they don't stand up tall enough at the wake(when they land they are usually egding to hard away from the boat to hold on), they let there arms out away from there body(slows rotation and the boat has its way), and then they don't move the rope to there other hip(results in a failed frontroll usually skidding on the butt).

krypt: after the peak of your raley when you are coming down, snap the handle to your trailing hip. for the landing, keep your head up and look towards the horizon you are headed. this will keep your chest moving forward so you don't land on your heels and skid out.

hoochie: if you went to krypt you probably tried to grab a raley. this trick is kind of tricky when yoou have the raley on the mind. shorten up your cut and concentrate grabbing the board before you extend your arm fully. this will keep your body from trying to twist in half.

ts br2revert: once you get the ts br this one is a cakewalk. all you need to do is take the same approach as the ts br but at the midpoint of your inversion you look over your trailing shoulder. keep 2 hands on the rope the whole time and when you look with your head you also move the rope to your other hip. MAKE SURE YOU POP OFF THE WAKE BEFORE YOU THROW THE TRICK.

Hope this helps.

Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-27-2004, 10:06 AM Reply   
Biwwwy, I started landing my crow mobes this year and have since landed at least 1 everytime I go out. The hint that really helped me start landing this trick is that if you are regular, when the boat starts to turn right cut in hard and do a crow mobe. It loosens line tension and throws you around easier. now I can do big crow mobes without the boat turning. It may feel awckward but trust me if you havn't landed one yet this will REALLY help you. I know it sounds strange but I stumbled upon it by accident just don't get used to them this way or you wont be able to do them normal. now I can do grabbed mobes and they are SSOOOOOOOOO fun to do. Leo, I do my tsbacks one handed just hold on tight bc 1/2 way round the rope will yank. i learned ts 3's and 5's before any hs spins except backside 180's. I reccomend hs/bs 180's (when I rode with Cobe I threw all my raleys and flips and nothing made him stand up and yell until I did a big smooth backside 180, sometimes technical tricks are worth more credit than big raleys). I highley reccomend backside 180's. they took me soooooo long to learn but if you stick with it it is one of the most fun tricks off the dub. drifting backwards blind 10-15 feet up is such an incredibly smooth yet scary move. also learn to do your tricks grabbed. that was such a huge mistake for me. I had to come back and learn grabbed scarecrows in order to get my mobe looking tight. don't learn your 3's with a wrapped landing. pass it early in order to form good habits. learn krypts they are not very hard at all.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-27-2004, 5:28 PM Reply   
great advice guys...im going to TSR this weekend so I wont be able to try any of these tricks for 2 weeks. BIwwy, i already know how to scarecrow, sorry for the miscomunication.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-27-2004, 6:34 PM Reply   
by the way ringo, a lot of people use that technique to go while the boat is turning when learning ts tricks. I heard that is how kyle schmidt teaches ts 720s.
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-28-2004, 8:59 AM Reply   
ahhhh good to know you learn somethin new everyday!