Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (STRmascot)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-06-2010, 11:37 AM Reply   
so this is a picture of JD Webb with the new binding system and maybe next years b-side?
From what I've herd for some inside sources is that this system wont be coming out next year.
Thoughts? Comments?
Attached Images

Old    Chaserwaser            08-06-2010, 11:44 AM Reply   
Idk I feel so weird looking at that now cause its like ... sick this isnt snowboarding hahaha but there is gonig to be one benefit to it and thats winching and or cable parks but even at the cable I would rather walk bare feet and to be honest by the time you hook all those straps up and stuff its going to be the time it would take for you just to slip in and out of your boots... I dont think ill ever be interested in these... not to mention I will not feel safe at all compared to just having the boots already mounted on the board I feel those would snap and break so easily
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-06-2010, 11:47 AM Reply   
^^^^^^agree. I'm thinking after walking around in those bindings in 90+ degree heat they are going to start to smell pretty ripe too! What about swimming with those boots on after you crash at the cable park?

Last edited by chaser; 08-06-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old     (STRmascot)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-06-2010, 1:45 PM Reply   
yea. they were saying that straps do break. ill stick to my audios.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-06-2010, 2:23 PM Reply   
^^^ I can see your point in some ways but on the other hand snowboards have been like this for years so I don't understand why you would think they would be so many issues. I bet you I can do up my snowboard bindings faster then you can get in your wakeboard boots too.
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-06-2010, 2:38 PM Reply   
I just got this e-mail as I was reading this thread. Looks similar to the photo.
Attached Images

Old     (STRmascot)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-06-2010, 3:42 PM Reply   
interesting. the difference between snowboarding and wakeboarding... is... well everything. with snowboarding you get to the bottom of the hill you have to go back up. why take your feet out? they will get cold. its snow. with wakeboarding. your swimming in water. i dont want those things dragging me down. yea maybe they float but still. it just seems stupid.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-06-2010, 4:04 PM Reply   
Dave, you are right. I can get in and out of my snowboard bindings a lot faster than my wakeboard bindings. Be interesting to see how this system is received by the general wakeboard community.
Old     (stu929)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-06-2010, 4:08 PM Reply   
I think another thing to think about is how do these react in a crash? Would they release like skis to help limit injury?

That said I agree with the comment about swimming in boots.....
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-06-2010, 4:13 PM Reply   
Ok, Does that mean wake skaters are getting dragged down wearing shoes?

Again, I get your points and I don't see why I would ever need a system like this either but I ride boat only....no cable around.

I think this would allow for more board flex due to less area on the deck over a traditional plate.

can crank or loosen your boots as bindings usually have a ratchet type strap.

As mentioned in the add. This should also help with ripping boots off the plates.

I dunno, don't really see what is so wrong with it.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-06-2010, 4:14 PM Reply   
Snowboard bindings don't release either so I'm gonna say no they don't
Old     (spinner_x)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-06-2010, 4:17 PM Reply   
This is going to incline people to take more than one set at a time. No one is going to want to have to take off their boots and their bindings after just one set, it'll be a big hassle. It seems like it could be more marketed towards cable riding since you are doing a lot more riding in a small amount of time.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-06-2010, 4:17 PM Reply   
Ok I just don't get it. Wakeboarding is not snowboarding, so why are earth are these companies trying to make it like snowboarding.

If you ask me, it's just something else to have to buy, and something else that can break.

No not only do you have to strap into your boot, then you have to strap into the bindings as well.

Wakeboarding is wakeboarding.....quit trying to turn it into something that it's not.
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-06-2010, 4:18 PM Reply   
It's cool how they make them blurry. Wonder what the advantages of blurry bindings are...

Seriously, though, I want a feature that ejects me upon catching an edge.
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-06-2010, 4:20 PM Reply   
In closing, I'd like to say that any form of innovation is a major drag. We should all go back to riding directional boards with straps.

Last edited by ak4life; 08-06-2010 at 4:27 PM. Reason: just cause I can
Old     (spinner_x)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-06-2010, 4:22 PM Reply   
Also I'm sure they will have new bindings that aren't like these Snowboarding ones. So if you want them you can buy them, if you don't then you don't have to. It's as simple as that.
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       08-06-2010, 6:43 PM Reply   
They are coming out for 2011 and wakeboardingmag has pictures of them now too. For years wakeboarding boots have tried to make the pressure on the foot as even as possible and now they want to introduce pressure points. Not good. I love my wakeboard bindings, but have never been able to get used to snowboard bindings. They always make my feet fall asleep and still have heal or toe lift. When I talked to Rusty, he loved them and will never go back. I guess I will just have to try them myself.
Old     (ilboarder12)      Join Date: May 2009       08-06-2010, 7:10 PM Reply   
since coming from a snowboarding background i think its a great idea, prob would use snowboard bindings instead of the hyperlite due to the many more years of r&d and experience, but def interested in the boots. to all the ppl hating on it, the new binding system is just another option stick to your standard binders if you don't like it
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-06-2010, 7:33 PM Reply   
Snowboarding is miles ahead, technology wise, than wakeboarding. They've been trying to follow for years now, and it's nice to see that they are getting finally starting to see the light. Love this idea. They will be no harder to get in and out of than wakeboard bindings, and my snowboard boots and bindings are tons more comfortable than my wakeboard ones.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-06-2010, 7:33 PM Reply   
People bitched about closed toed bindings the same when they came out
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-06-2010, 8:16 PM Reply   
Didnt mean to make it sound lime i was hatin on them. I'd wear them if there was benefit, just trying to figure them out. Time will tell I guess.
Old     (STRmascot)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-06-2010, 9:40 PM Reply   
it just seems like so much to do to wakeboard. i mean. i can be in the water in less than two minutes with my setup. that just make me feel like its going to take ten. and yea maybe you dont have to take the boats off. but come on. its not -3 degrees out side. there going to get hot. and dont forget about walking down to the docks in your. oh-so stylish boots. it just seems silly.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-07-2010, 7:05 AM Reply   
It takes me far less time to get in my snowboard boots and bindings than it does sliming my way into my wakeboard. Looks like they have the via system, so count 30 secs to get in the boots, and probably 30- 45 to get in the bindings and get ratcheted in
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-07-2010, 9:15 AM Reply   
Think about it in the boat. You finish your set, you release from your board, and get in the boat. Your buddy, that was putting on his boots as you were finishing up your set, then attaches to his board in about 20 to 30 seconds, in the water, and is ready for his run. When you are back in the boat, you can then take your boots off.

I applaud HL for going outside the (wake) box.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-07-2010, 11:11 AM Reply   
I think that violates the no shoes in my boat rule lol
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-07-2010, 2:37 PM Reply   
anything that provides good support to the foot and releases in a crash is ok in my books. I was thinking about a similar ski boot style that clicks in and release on a crash
Old     (bogartsomeday)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-07-2010, 2:41 PM Reply   
When i heard a few months ago that hyperlite was comin out with this tech, i thought it was prob the biggest step backwards in the technology of the sport. This system pretty much limits your flexibility even more with bindings. I dont care what anyone says, having a separate binding and boot system completely limits flexibility which is kinda what is needed in wakeboard bindings. It ads weight to your setup. Who the hell is gonna wanna wear boots on the boat??? It summertime and people wear sandals over regular shoes, so why whould someone go to the lake, and wear BOOTS with their shorts? People wanna wear less clothes during the summer, why would anyone wear boots. I just dont get it. HL just keeps comin out with funky designs for their boots. What happens when you catch an edge or whatever and u need to get ejects but ur stuck? Looks like u'd have to take a harder fall. The sales pitch on "no longer having a plastic plate in the sole of your boot reduces weight and ads comfort.." is not really that valid. Ya you are taking away that plastic in the sole but adding a whole Sh.. load all around your foot and ankle. My two cents: stupid design.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-07-2010, 3:08 PM Reply   
"What happens when you catch an edge or whatever and u need to get ejects but ur stuck?"

I don't eject from my Cell bindings. A lot of people thought it was a stupid design when they came out with twin tip boards, closed toe bindings, and flex boards. If you don't like them, don't buy them, but I don't think it is appropriate to knock something without trying it first.
Old     (STRmascot)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-07-2010, 3:24 PM Reply   
jeremy has a point. would like to try them. but, codi threw a little bit more than two cents. good argument in my book. thing is. theres little ejection. i would go into to detail about how they ride but im not sure if i am aloud to say it.
Old     (OneCent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-07-2010, 3:56 PM Reply   
Hmm, maybe that stuff is nice for a cable. I mean, i would not let the people on my boat with the boots.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-07-2010, 4:01 PM Reply   
Codi, how do you knowing will add weight, have you tried them? My binding set up on my snowboard is lighter than my bindings on my wakeboard. How do you know they limit flex? Looks like they have cut them lower on the back of the calf, which makes me think they had flex in mind. I think your speculating without trying them. Do you snowboard?
Old     (STRmascot)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-07-2010, 6:03 PM Reply   
i think winching and cable is perfect for this. becuase your walking on land. you would. your not walking aound on the lake. and if you get out of the boat your most likely going to have flippy flops.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-07-2010, 10:49 PM Reply   
This thread reminds me of Amazon where people with nothing better to do get on there and rate products that they did not buy and have never used.
But it's a discussion, and we can't be on the water all the time, so alright...
The no ejection factor seems like a valid point, but as pointed out above, this is America, so nobody will force you to ride them if you don't want.
The usefulness for cable parks is obvious, and cable park riding appears to be a rapidly growing market share worldwide.
But for those of us who ride behind a boat, I think Jeremy came up with a really good point that this has the potential to reduce the transition time between riders dramatically, and if you are on dawn patrol or racing sunset, that can be extremely valuable.
I also am struck by the fact that this system could allow different riders to swap and share boards easily while each rider keeps his/her same boots. I like trying lots of boards, but I'm super particular about boots and I don't like to ride other people's boots, because ill fit often leads to injuries, or at least sloppy board control. Also, I'm glad to loan out my board, but I don't want anybody else's feet in my boots for multiple reasons. With this new system, seems everything would be both faster and also more cross-compatible.
And to folks arguing that this all will take so much time, it would seem to me that you must not have much experience with snowboarding.
But what do I know, anyway?
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-08-2010, 7:29 AM Reply   
i look forward to trying them out
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-08-2010, 10:44 AM Reply   
I would love to try these out, I just dont want to pay 500 for the binding set up. I know if I lived near a cable I would buy these as soon as they were available, walking around the lake in grass, sand, mud, poop, and dirt stinks, especially when it gets inside your bindings.
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-08-2010, 4:23 PM Reply   
It would have benefits if it became the norm.. if all the boots would fit in a standard binding. That way you could always own your boots and try whatever other board, etc. I have no problem people trying my board but I don't want other sized feet streching out my bindings. But I highly doubt that would happen... every company will probably be different.

Might be cool also to change the camber of your boot in the bindings like snowboarding - increase the angle against the back of your calf in order to give you more heel edge.

The point about making it faster inbetween sets is mute.. I highly doubt boat owners would want people stepping from the swim grid to the seats with their boots walking all over the back sunpad/seats, with hard plastic edges & whatnot. you would still end up putting on your boots on the swim platform then strapping into the board.
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-08-2010, 5:49 PM Reply   
you know hyperlite tried making snowboards back in the day too... they didn't last long
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-08-2010, 5:57 PM Reply   
i bet some people will love them and some will hate them. seems to be a lot like life....
Old     (clarkduh)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-08-2010, 7:20 PM Reply   
if they are lighter, stronger, and easy to put on and take off. wheres the problem?
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-09-2010, 4:33 AM Reply   
Im going to avoid making a snap judgement, innovation is cool and I definitely want to try this style of setup. I just hope its easy to get in/out of. Personally I DONT want to swim around with the boots or walk in them, but maybe its easy enough to leave it ratcheted in and you can still just take your feet out. But then it does kind of beg the question, whats the point of it all!
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       08-09-2010, 4:58 AM Reply   
I agree with alafia. Quit hating. Hypes got a good thing here. They are going to be on point. If it solves the heel/toe seesaw action that have plauged their boots for 5 seasons....who cares.
Old     (cccbuilders)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-09-2010, 8:54 AM Reply   
This new binding and boot line is "in addition to" the line of HL boots so if you want to buy ,well its your choice.................They are a great idea and i look forward to riding them, your foot will be directly on the board with no lift, and yes you are strapped in and there is no ejection system.
They have redone the HL 2011 line of boots also......
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-09-2010, 9:16 AM Reply   
This may see like a stupid observation, but looking at the construction of The System binding, with a rigid back and a large strap coming over the lower ankle/ankle/upper foot region, how would one poke, and tweak a grab? This seems like it would severely hamper ones mobility in the boot when it comes to tricks that require a degree of flex to grab/complete.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-09-2010, 9:17 AM Reply   
So who lets people wear shoes in their boats? I know there are people out there, but I'm not one of them.
Don't care what anybody says.....you can't wear shoes in my boat, def not gonna let you wear boots either. So for my boat....you're gonna have to put on boots, then put on bindings.....sorry fellas
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-09-2010, 9:18 AM Reply   
i would think the back and strap does move with the boot.. we shall soon see...
Old     (ThatGuy)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-09-2010, 9:31 AM Reply   
Why do people keep saying that this system is soooo much easier to put on???? You still have to put on boots, then you have to strap into your bindings now, how does this make this any easier? I can get my feet in my Ronix boots without even using my hands, then its a quick pull on the laces and done. I don'y get why being easier to put on is even something that is being brought up. This isn't 2001 where you need soap and a whole lot of work to get into you boots. This just adds a step.
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-09-2010, 10:28 AM Reply   
Is it going to be like snow board boots where it is a separate price for the boot and binding? Will the combination be equal to the price of a set of bindings? If the boots alone are cheaper than a new set of bindings (current setup style bindings), then when you wear out the boots it is cheaper on the wallet for an upgrade. I doubt that is going to be the case but that is the only advantage I can see.
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-09-2010, 11:12 AM Reply   
I'm waiting for something like this...
Name:  flow.jpg
Views: 5973
Size:  13.4 KB
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-09-2010, 11:34 AM Reply   
Jesus Christ. Didn't we already try this? I believe it actually was CWB that tried a system like this in the late 90's and they were horrible! Ruthless on your feet.

Industry: Stop this kind of bulls**t and work on pressure-release bindings, please! Ok???

Barf.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-09-2010, 11:45 AM Reply   
i can see it now.
binding racks for your tower....
Old     (wakecis)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-09-2010, 12:11 PM Reply   
the truth....funny you point that out, b/c i believe guys in australia (abbott) had converted snowboard bindings to their wakeboards, a good 10 yrs before CWB....it's like bell bottoms, unforutnately if you wait long enough it comes back in style.

and i also remember a murray snowboard back in the day, and saw one on the mountain. the green board before the bug, same graphics as the wakeboard.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-09-2010, 1:49 PM Reply   
In a very old WBM Murray did a trip to Oz and was riding the Port Hacking River with the locals. One of the guys was making boards (he named it after a soda or something) that were similar to a roam. Since he didn't have inserts sunk into it, he just bolted some snowboard plates on it and used velcro straps to hold his skate shoes on. Not quite what we see here.

The CWB boots of old were a lot different as well. They were just an inner boot with ratchets to tighten things up. The first version was not so good, the second was better. Heck, all those videos we love to watch of Mark Kenney ripping, he is using them. Same with Rob Struharik.

Time will tell, if nothing else Hype managed to light up this message board.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-09-2010, 2:47 PM Reply   
I think people are going to look really funny walking around the cable in their boots carrying their board to the dock. I guess this is a good answer to the smoldering docks at owc during the summer but why strap in twice. The system makes sense for a flex board because the board will allow for maneuverability but for a traditional stiff board, it really seems like you will be locked in and have a really difficult time pressing the tip or tail.
The binding in the photo looks more like a cheap rental binding that doesn't lock your toes in. Personally I like taking my board off and letting my feet breathe after a run. I wouldn't want to be stuck in those things the whole day. Our boards are different from snowboards and so is our weather and riding surface. I wouldn't be stoked getting my $400 plus set of bindings covered in mud on a walk back from a fall at mccormicks nor would i want them to get torn up climbing out of the lime stone rocks at rixen.
KISS- KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID I've been riding the ronix relik reflectos and it is what I consider the perfect binding for cable riding. Two pulls and you are tightened down and just as easy to take off. The one thing I hate is a binding that takes what seems forever to put on and even longer to take off when you are in the water ie The Mareks or even the Soven's where i had to tighten the laces, insert them into the little magnet things, then do the straps. Look at the ultra suctions and how they tested time. As simple of a binding as you could make, but they were supportive and the only thing you had to do was put your damn foot in, or the hyperlite Atlas/3DS line. Those are still in my opinion some of the best/most supportive bindings out there and they took 20 seconds to get on, and they were not coming off.
I used to ride all hyperlite product and for the past two seasons, I haven't considered their stuff. Their bindings are gigantic leg consuming clown boots. No real complaints about their boards but this gimmick throws me over the edge. Are you going to have to pay separately or do they come as one piece?
Old     (bc123)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-09-2010, 3:10 PM Reply   
What is the benefit to coming out of your boots or off your board? Its not like ski's were if your feet stay in your going to be twisting knees opposite ways.... like in snowboarding, it makes sence to stay connected to your board. If you were supposed to come out, and one foot stayed in its going to be MUCH worse for you than just staying locked in. It makes sence that this is the next step.

Anyone snowboard and wakeboard? Ever hear of a brand name Ronix? What about 32? Look at 32 boots, see the lil name on the inside of the line? Intuition?? Wait isnt that what it says on my Ronix boots??

Progression is the name of the game now. And snowboarding and wakeboarding are toooo similar to not take from one another. I wont be surprised when I see snowboarders winching tight(small) areas.

As far as pressure points, the boots are made to get rid of pressure points. I doubt your going to add pressure points by adding bindings. Theres none on my snowboard... cant see why there would be on a similar wakeboard setup.....

There is always going to be an entry level binding, just as there are still click in snowboard bindings. The pros wont use them, but they are still available to the weekend warrior looking for convience rather than the top performer.

Last edited by bc123; 08-09-2010 at 3:12 PM.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-09-2010, 3:13 PM Reply   
I'm just trying to imagine everyone in my crew wearing calf high boots in the boat all day long in 95 degree heat and it is not a pretty or rosey smelling picture, but then again my kids wore a pair of CTs about 8 years ago and they took some ribbing back then but today different story. Swapping decks easily would be cool though. Time will tell.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-09-2010, 6:37 PM Reply   
this is sooo simple. if you dont like them, dont buy them. if you like them, buy them.
Old     (bogartsomeday)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-09-2010, 8:36 PM Reply   
Brian- I snowboard and obviously wakeboard. Being located in the foothills of the sierra nevadas close to tahoe, i am an avid snowboarder in the winter and avid wakeboarder during the summer....a lot of people brought out a great point: if someone doesnt like them, dont buy them. Which is very true. Except its unfortunate that this product will be filling up displays rather than more room for gear id actually buy hahaha. Ya that point isnt very valid, but for the sake of the board sport world, snowboarding and wakeboarding are not "toooo similar". They are actually quite different. The closest thing to snowboarding is probably skating. The way a snowboard rides is completely different than a wakeboard. Riding the steeps is much different than wakeboarding. Wakeboarding you're getting pulled and only approx. the back half of the board sits in the water when riding so stance and control over the board is much different than a snowboard where you use both the nose and tail contact points to control your board. U dont use a handle at all in snowboarding. U spin off the kicker and use momentum to throw your tricks. Wakeboarding, its pretty much all about the handle. Ill say right now, im in love with both sports so in no way am I bashing either of them. But snowboarding you have different steapnesses, different terrain, different forms of snow, and cold weather. U can be riding ice one minute and head to the backside of the mountain and prob find some pow in the trees. Then there's slush. In wakeboarding you need response, but not response like snowboarding. Honestly, the heel lift and toe lift that people on here talk about with wake bindings, idk wtf theyre talking about. Ive ridden quite a few different bindings and brands and have never noticed a lack of response in my toe and heel. People are being too finicky if they notice it and are bothered buy it, just go out and fn ride. That lack of response isnt keeping people from trying tricks and landing them, its the rider that is.

So this system i think clashes with what wake bindings should be engineered to be. Idk how they would work better in cable cause cable is kinda where u'd want more flex isnt it? The only good point of this system i rly saw was the idea of trying friend's boards and not wanting their foot in your boots, which i feel the same way. But idk, like someone else said, i want my feet to air out after a set. Its summertime and I wanna be nearly nude, which would look weird with boots and not rly feel right wearing them in shorts. The only other advantage i can see to this system is winter riding. I would actually possibly consider these for winter riding. But im not a fan of HL (no offense to the HL supporters) so i wont be buying this stuff anytime soon. Others will though.
Old     (wakeyahoo)      Join Date: Dec 2008       08-09-2010, 11:02 PM Reply   
You can remove these boots just as easily as other wake boots and throw on some flip flops (they are not a permanent attachment to your appendages near water), and you could simply rinse in the water if you get some crud on them (not rocket science). Didn't your parents tell you, try it you might like it?
Old     (rawB)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-10-2010, 10:09 AM Reply   
Those mereck boots look pretty bad ass! Do you think they'd work on snow? I'd like to see some better shots of the bindings though, they look kind of flimsy.

I've might try hooking my burton's up to a slingshot/company 4x4 insert board and see how it rides.

I can relate to both sides of this discusion. I think this is a good idea for the heel/toe lift dilema. I've have a few pairs of bindings (ronix frontier, liquidforce 1st generation CT plates, old blindside and double up plates... ) where I was able to feel the heel lifting and chattering as i took off and more so landed. It was distracting and probably limited energy transfer. THough I've had the same problem with snowboard bindings too...

As far as comfort, I've had problems with both snow and wake bindings. Snowboard straps can get tight and create presure points but so can wakebindings.

As far as the wake boots, I think riders would be taking them off after sets, no big deal, maybe more stuff in the boat to work around. I'd like to see the soul of the boot.

I'm also not sure a highback or lowback is nessecary on the water. I'd like to see a more inovative way of conecting the boot to the board. Maybe a flow style binding with a soft back. or something. I know one thing there is nothing worse than a cheap pair a snowboard bindings.

I'd like to see that Merek boot with a traditional plate.
Old     (mikejones)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-10-2010, 10:29 AM Reply   
So disappionted in Hyperlite. Their 2010 lineup was all but a huge let down. I'm still riding the Team boots and i constantly get heel bruises, the soles inside the boots move, the lace clamps rarely hold (have to tighten every fall, and ive got two clamps per lace), and I've busted a lace loop on my first pair of Teams. The 09 murrays were far superior. I suspect Hype knew they were getting left in binding technology by companies like CWB, etc. But I have to say im pretty skeptical about this snowboard style setup for many of the reasons you guys have already mentioned. Wonder if HO is gonna do the same for slalom bindings? I could be wrong, but this all seems like a very silly attempt to get back market share...
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       08-10-2010, 10:53 AM Reply   
My snowboard boots have always been uncomfortable somewhere, either pressure points or the feet fall asleep. I have never had anything but pure comfort since the 2007 Watsons. I am happy that I was recently able to track down some 2009 OT Watsons to hopefully hold me over for a few more years.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-10-2010, 6:33 PM Reply   
sorry MJ , i totally disagree. i tried on a pair of Mareks in June of 09 at NJ Wakefest. I totally hated the feel of the foot bed. i asked the Hyperlite rep if i could try on the Murrays. He told me the footbed was the same. he then asked how badly did i need new bindings. I told him my watsons were in pretty good shape (they did fall apart at the end of the season, but were 1st year watsons). he told me to wait till the 2010 bindings came out. he was right, i totally love the foot bed., the bindings etc. just goes to show not everyone likes the same thing.
Old     (ilboarder12)      Join Date: May 2009       08-10-2010, 7:36 PM Reply   
Robbie Newton, i have mounted my burton mission binders to my slingshot recoil and that was all fine. the problem arose trying to use old snowboard boots. they filled up with water and was super heavy (even after drilling out the boot base). so these boots will fix that problem otherwise the setup was great for winching/cable

do agree the binders look quite flimsy/**** quality, but def want to get a go at the boots.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-10-2010, 8:48 PM Reply   
might work well for wake camps and schools and such. can share boards with different sized feet easier.
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-10-2010, 10:36 PM Reply   
Im surprised this has gone on so long without someone asking "WHY THE HELL IS THERE STILL A BOA?!?!" have not enough BOA equipped wakeboard boots come back for warranty claims for them to figure out that it sucks for wakeboard boots? Funny how Hyperlite was the best there was when Herb and Paul were running the show, now that they've moved on to Ronix, you hear nothing but praise for Ronix Gear. Hopefully Hyperlite can get it back together eventually, but I see them going into the crapper if they continue how they're going now.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       08-11-2010, 3:28 AM Reply   
no the boa system is a good system. it doesnt give the way laces do. granted they did have issues back when the murray close toe were released, but they have handled and addressed them all. also you can fix it your self, pretty easily
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-11-2010, 7:47 AM Reply   
Luke, amen? btw do you guys happen to have any extra watson hybrid 139 fins floating around at performance or any sort of substitute that will fit? they are seriously non existant.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       08-12-2010, 12:58 PM Reply   
Hmmmmmm interesting.
Old     (greg_nelson)      Join Date: May 2009       08-12-2010, 4:42 PM Reply   
I would have posted to this thread earlier but I’m just getting organized again after our Hyperlite Experience event at Seafair. So we are clear, I work at Hyperlite and have been involved in the Wakeboard industry since it began. I’ve also been heavily involved with the testing of our new System Binding and Boots, as has Rusty, JD, Murray, Davies, Jimmy, Langley and others.

I want to say thanks to all who’ve posted on this thread, even the haters, if you weren’t talking about it, the System wouldn’t be as ground breaking as it truly is.

After my first experience riding the System, I compared it to what it was like going from ankle straps to the first high wrap boots back in the day, with respects to the control I felt on the board. Now I’ve ridden the System countless times and I still feel the same way but am even more excited to ride now that I have a set.

When you slip on the boots, either model (JD-Murray-Rusty) the fit is so sleek and comfortable that it feels like an extension of your body, so stepping on the board I’ve never felt closer from a control point of view. Even before you’re up on the water you feel the control while wiggling your ankles waiting for the rope to get tight, it blows me away every time I strap in and jump off the platform. At my level of riding these days, having the control the System provides rules. The second I think about changing my edge, it’s happening, and I simply don’t have to work as hard to achieve the control I’d get out of traditional boots.

I’ll admit it was a bit awkward putting on boots while JD or someone else was riding, but I’m used to it now. One day I wore the boots around the office for an hour, made my way to the lake, slipped my boardies on over the boots and took a set. It was a fun feeling, not that you’d do it every day, but the boots are that comfortable. They are a true piece of footwear that we’ve designed for wakeboarding.

There’s no question this is different. No longer am I cinching my laces down as much as possible, there’s no need. I make the boot comfortable and then ratchet down the ankle and toe strap to my liking and go. For me it’s ideal because I prefer my support to spread over the entire foot and lower ankle. If you prefer support on the upper ankle, great you can cinch down the laces, personally I leave them kind of loose up top.

As for tweaking and poking out grabs, forget about it, the System allows you a freedom like no other boot out there. Traditional boots have hard sidewalls for the boot to be sewn to, these do not. The sidewall of the System Chassis is so minimal you can slam your ankle in any direction as far as you desire.

Wakeboarding has always looked to other action sports for inspiration and now many sports are looking at ours for the same thing. You think surfers would be winching across inlets hitting waves without Wakeboarding & Wakeskating? That being said, the philosophy behind this System binding is like snowboarding, make a comfortable boot and a supportive binding. We’ve done that, but applied it to our sport.

The thought that these drag you down when swimming is funny, they float and your feet go right to the surface. It’s funny when you stand on the platform that’s beneath 6 inches of water, your feet want to float. We’ve joked about the boots qualifying for Coast Guard Approval, but they don’t slow you down. And don’t worry about time to get in your boots and then your bindings, it’s not an issue.

I haven’t ridden cable yet with the System, but I will in a couple weeks after the Worlds. Nick has been out there during development and just being able to get in your boots once is a relief. You fall, you undo your bindings, get right back to the line and then strap back in, no walking barefoot over hot pavement, rocks or whatever.

I’m not a big wincher, but I’d imagine the System will have benefits in that arena as well.

I love the strong opinions from the posters who’ve never tried these, you guys rock. Thanks to those who have an open mind, I think once you ride it you’ll really enjoy the feel as I have.

FYI, our pricing is comparable to the price of any high end boot. Once you buy the System, it’s affordable to simply get new boots when the time is right.

-Greg Nelson
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-12-2010, 4:55 PM Reply   
There you go. Many of the questions are answered.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-12-2010, 5:14 PM Reply   
My questions/observations (based on my experience riding)

Someone needs to FINALLY make a binding that doesnt have heel lift in the baseplate, if this system solves that more power to HL. That's always been my biggest gripe about bindings these days (the old school ones with metal baseplates and rainbow bones held pretty well). So far my bent baseplate hit list includes every manufacturer (except Obrien, only because I have never worn their boots) even the new LF baseplate (all properly mounted WITHOUT extenders). I am personally sad to see the 4 hole bolt pattern not continue on, especially with this system(s) options.

I would also hope the new system incorporates a lot of the versatility that snowboard bindings offer in heel cup rotation, highback rotation, ankle and toe strap placement, etc. If they can do this then I see a lot of potential here in a scaled down version of snowboard boots and binders and would likely look to HL first for my next pair of bindings.

I also like the idea of the strap in the ability to tweak/poke even harder. You can cut out, reach down and loosen up a strap, tweak whatever you want, then tighten right back up with a couple clicks...which is awesome.

I like the idea of the two piece system since it could create more competition in the binding marketplace...pushing product development. It seems like its really expensive to get into the board and boot market now because of the high machine costs. Something like a simply binding could provide enough incentive for private companies seeing an opportunity to step up and make their own bindings to complement the HL boots. In fact my buddies and I were just complaining about each of us going on our 3rd set of boots this season, toying with the notion of bringing back old school bindings with new school designs to combat our biggest pet peeves of today's binders (something geared towards serious riders...not the "average consumer").

I imagine one of the very first things I would look to modding (if I had a pair) would be the toe caps and seeing if they are rocking toe caps (vs toe straps, likely due to potential Copyright issues) and Mod a pair to use a pair of toe caps. Hopefully the boots were designed for this?

My only other main concern is the potential pressure points. Snowboard boots are pretty beefy helping combat the two strap pressure points. I imagine the wake boots are not nearly as robust so I would look at the binding strap padding, boot padding, etc.

Just my .02
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-12-2010, 5:41 PM Reply   
i'm down to check 'em out!

anyone remember these?
Attached Images

Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-12-2010, 9:29 PM Reply   
Umali,

Yeah! Maybe you remember this... one of the best promo posters in the history of the sport: Thomas Horrell on the dock, strapped into those same Subrosas, staring straight into camera while preparing for dock start, teal and white O'neill neo-vest, blond spiky hair, grinning and sticking out his tongue through gap where missing front teeth used to be. I can't believe I lost track of that one, had it hanging up for a long time. Anybody who can post up that pic will truly impress me, which is not easy. Electric Snow? She might have a chance, not sure anybody else could pull it off.

And sweet post from Nelson, one of the most important and influential riders in the sport... ever! Who else can you name that Scott Byerly and Randall Harris both have acknowledged as influencing them in their development as riders?

OK, I'm old.

Last edited by dococ; 08-12-2010 at 9:31 PM. Reason: "front" teeth, not "from" doc dum spellur
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-12-2010, 10:20 PM Reply   
Got to respect HL for pushing in a different direction. That being said I will be watching and waiting to see how this design plays out. I've learned from experience to never buy the first generation of anything tho. Always seems to take a couple to get the bugs worked out...
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-13-2010, 12:34 AM Reply   
wake riding = no thanks, not gonna chill in the boat with bindings on all day. so now i have to put my boats on then my bindings?

cable = maybe, but still think it wont take off. with todays bindings your in and out in seconds, unless your still rockin suction cups!!

winching = i can see it being a hit matched with some durable soles on the boots for hiking on the rocks and mud and branches etc.....or better yet runnin from the cops

to be honest when i first heard about this i was getting the impression of the old k2 clickers. just a step and go thing, maybe a Flow style would be sick idk till i try them.

i can see it now though, every d-bag on the delta will have a set of these, mashing around ski beach with there new hype s--t kickers on, lol, "dude im so gnar with my new wake boots" at least it will be a money maker for the shops, "dude, now that you have this sick x80 you need these super sick wake boots" you know lon will have a set, lol!!!!!!!!
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       08-13-2010, 3:07 AM Reply   
Thats why i love nelson.......always on point
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-13-2010, 7:42 AM Reply   
hopefully this knocks down the price of the "old fashioned" technology bindings
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-13-2010, 10:32 AM Reply   
I must say, Nelson made me less skeptical. Still just seems like a lot of effort
Old     (midwestwake00)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-13-2010, 10:50 AM Reply   
ok this is for all the haters...ya all re-tarded

this is probably one of the most inovative break throughs in wake binding technoloy. I can almost garuntee that more than half of you have torn, broke, or blown out some other traditional binding design regardless of brand in your sooooo loooong extensive "riding experience". im sure "if" (and they won' t) they go wrong we can turn to you for some advice on how to make it better since you are so experienced.

As far as people saying it takes more effort? seriously??? thaaaaat lazy just to pull one or two more strings. man if you are too lazy to that I can't imagine the effort you put into actually riding the damn boots.

And who the hell said that ya had to chill in the boat all damn day with your boots on??? don't be "lazy" and take the damn things off. If you don't you're gonna look way more funny that chilllin in the boat with them on than you would when walking around the cable with them on. And for those of you worried about looking "dumb" or "silly" in them...how about you stop wearing whatever stupid color patterened boardshorts you are rocking and quit complaining.

I know for all of you hating, change is a reeeeally scary thing, but we will hold your hand through it all and still ive to shred another day. Im sure the people hating on the System had all kinds ot s..t to say about closed toes boots.....oh and wait....look what they are riding now...yyaaaa good call ra-tard
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-13-2010, 11:35 AM Reply   
so full of wisdom, irony and hypocrisy. Sad thing is you actually try to sound like that