Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-31-2010, 1:41 PM Reply   
I picked up a pair of Byerly pro bindings last week to throw on my board, it was time to upgrade. But over the weekend i got to try them out for the first time, ( i loved them, but thats besides the point).
after my first set, the top laces on both bindings where already starting to snag and fray a little bit. Second set one of them snapped completely and the other top lace is about to go as well. My local pro shop that i bought them from is defiantly on top of things, and contacted byerly the day after i told him. They are going to get him new laces for me as a replacement which is totally cool. But is the same thing just going to happen again? anyone else have that problem? i really dont want to be changing laces every 2 sets.
the laces on my 08 shanes lasted over a year before then even started to show any wear, and that was only on one lace. that seems very reasonable to me, but 2 sets? quite disappointing. was it just a freak thing that both laces went after 2 sets? or is that just how they are.
Old     (c0l7hy)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-31-2010, 1:57 PM Reply   
I'd like to know as well. Are there any other alternatives than the laces that come with most bindings? maybe in different colors too
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-31-2010, 2:03 PM Reply   
im not to picky on colors, but different colors would be cool! the orange on these bindings doesnt match any of the bright yellow or blue on my board, but they where so comfy, i didnt care! haha. i have some Liquid force laces at home, and i was just going to replace them with those since i know how well they last, but they didnt fit with the hardware that keeps them locked down, and i dont want to be switching bindings again, one of the reasons for getting new bindings, is so i dont have to keep switching between my winch and boat board
Old     (tchs22)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-31-2010, 2:20 PM Reply   
I have a 09 LF Shanes....I put on just regular shoe laces and they hold exceptionally well! They are neon green and neon orange and look tight! here are some pics
Attached Images

Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-31-2010, 3:44 PM Reply   
Would you ever just try tying the laces together instead of just using the locking hardware, a la Robby Jacques and Kaesen Suyderhoud? Quick fix there, I think it looks pretty sick, and then you dont have to worry about them fraying at all.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-31-2010, 4:20 PM Reply   
yes, i have thought about just tieing them, but i like my laces really tight, and i wouldnt be able to get that by tieing them like so.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-31-2010, 5:16 PM Reply   
I ran some Burton boot laces for ages and they never broke.
Old     (AndrewMulkern4)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-31-2010, 9:10 PM Reply   
My friend just used the 2010 byerlys today and same the thing happened,both top laces broke. His issue is that he rides cable so constantly tightening and untightening bindings, sounds like some shoe laces would do the trick, just tie them like shoes.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-31-2010, 10:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMulkern4 View Post
My friend just used the 2010 byerlys today and same the thing happened,both top laces broke. His issue is that he rides cable so constantly tightening and untightening bindings, sounds like some shoe laces would do the trick, just tie them like shoes.
really bummed to hear that. i was hoping it was a freak thing. might be getting some shoe laces and trying to use the clamp. i really dont want to tie them. i leave my bottoms pretty loose and get the tops really tight. i wont be able to do that tieing them. if i knew all of this before hand... i might not have gotten these.
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-31-2010, 10:16 PM Reply   
I don't see why you can't tighten them really tight with laces. Are the laces too slick and the knot slips? Sometimes I get waxed hockey laces for my skates if I can't get my skates tight enough with a regular pair. I don't know where else you can get them, but you for sure can at a hockey pro shop.

You might want to just give it a try with the regular laces and you might be surprised. If not, the waxed laces are an option.
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-01-2010, 1:53 AM Reply   
Try some marine rope, I snapped the laces on my Zeus at Princes cable in London last summer and one of the operators suggested going to a marine store and get thin nylon rope.

CWB hooked me up with a new set of lace locks (great customer support always appriciated) and I have not looked back since, the laces aren't even fraying yet!
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-01-2010, 7:30 AM Reply   
shouldn't some sort of testing told them this was a problem...makes you want to question the whole binding.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-01-2010, 7:34 AM Reply   
my point exactly tim. thats why i was asking if it was a freak thing, but it happened to someone else as well. i would think if the laces break after 2 sets, they would solve the problem. the marine rope is a good idea though, maybe ill pull a few feet of line off my winch and see if that works, i know how strong that stuff is, nothing ike pulling 400 feet of rope at 22 mph against a screw after getting caught under a rail with no damage. ha