Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 10, 2008

Old     (elleduke)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-08-2008, 7:00 PM Reply   
Hey this weekend my optima blue top D34M got so hot it cracked the top and warped the top as well. No wires melted, but it was to hot to touch for about 3-4 minutes. The weird part is that I didn't even have any of my stereo, lights, or other accessories going. Here is a diagram of how I had it hooked up.
Upload
This is the 3rd season with the battery and I have never had an issue before. Curious what others have experienced or what else I should consider. I tested with a multimeter the the factory battery with engine off and on, then the Stinger SR200 isolator with the engine on and off and everything was correct voltage wise. I believe I am still in the 18 month prorated warranty period so I can exchange for a new one...but damn I thought it was going to burn my boat down!

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-08-2008, 7:52 PM Reply   
Get a new one, doesn't matter what happened get that battery off your boat. I don't see anything wrong with your wiring, unless the guage is very undersized. Possibly something fell across your top posts on the battery without you knowing it?

(Message edited by 05mobiuslsv on July 08, 2008)
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-08-2008, 8:10 PM Reply   
Make sure the terminal lugs are tight on the top of the battery. Mine were loose one time and I burnt my hand touching it.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-08-2008, 8:55 PM Reply   
I had that happen years ago. One of my blue tops was so hot it was sizzling. It was also about three seasons old. It was completly covered in a battery box so nothing hit the posts, and the termnals were fine. Just started frying itself.
Old     (elleduke)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-08-2008, 9:06 PM Reply   
That is exactly what happened. I turned off the boat heard it hissing...removed the cover, disconnected it immediately and removed from the boat. If this is common I am thinking of going with a different battery.
Old     (dailyssv)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-09-2008, 5:51 AM Reply   
replace both batteries its bad to use wet cell with gel cell and call optma i use them in truck and boat. they have a good warranty and stand behind their stuff.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-09-2008, 6:39 AM Reply   
It was over charged. I had the very same issue with mine. I had charged it over night and then put it in the boat, and once the alternator kicked in it got real hot! You should ONLY charge Blue Tops on the lowest trickle charge you can.
Old     (elleduke)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-09-2008, 9:22 AM Reply   
Do I need to install a voltage regulator between the batteries, thus preventing overcharging? I have charged it twice this season (because work has been impacting my time on the water) and both times I used a 1.5amp trickle charger.
Old     (loffgren)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-09-2008, 10:24 AM Reply   
"replace both batteries its bad to use wet cell with gel cell "
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-09-2008, 3:40 PM Reply   
The gas leaking out of the battery means that the battery is fried. Get it out of the boat ASAP.

How do you have 3 seasons but still are within the 18 month warranty?
Old     (x45er)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-09-2008, 7:56 PM Reply   
A cell shorted, causing the rest to be overcharged and one cell vented. No big deal. It's common to the Optima battery. I won't go into their manufacturing to explain. If you want the info PM me.

You already have a voltage regulator on your boat and nothing you can install can stop this from happening again......just happens sometimes. One blue top in my new boat lasted a month. I didn't even bother retuning it I just put in a differn't brand as I already new it was a common failure in the Optima.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-09-2008, 7:57 PM Reply   
I've got 5 optima's in my boat going on 3 years no problems at all I think they're fine.