Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Maddog10)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-09-2010, 10:03 AM Reply   
Last week I posted a video of me practicing my W2W's, and at that point I was clearing them on a consistent basis but I wasn't standing tall at the wake therefore I was losing a lot of pop. Well this weekend I went out and really tried to practice my technique. Of course I forgot the recorder in the camper so I don't have any videos, but I could tell I was straightening my legs a lot more and was getting MUCH more air time. I actually felt like I was getting enough time in the air to do some tricks if I was skillful enough. However, with this extra height I lost some distance apparently because I was having trouble actually clearing the wake. I cleared it clean probably six or seven times and the rest I was coming up like a foot or two short and casing the wake hard. Do I just have to find the right balance between height and distance or am I doing something wrong on my end? I know it's hard for you to tell since I don't have a video, but I felt like I was cutting in the same. The only thing I can think of is that maybe I was focusing so much on straightening my legs at the wake that I was flattening the board at the last second and losing the extra foot or two that I need to get over the wake. I probably at least doubled my height from last week, maybe even more than that, but it was frustrating that I couldn't clear the wake consistently, not to mention the brutal landings that came along with it. Also, I slowed the boat down a little bit this weekend so the wake was a little wider but I still should have been able to clear it. I was just wondering what some of the possible causes were as to why I couldn't get over the wake, or maybe just needing some pointers. Thanks a lot.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-09-2010, 10:11 AM Reply   
It sounds like you might have been flattening off right as you are approaching the wake killing a lot of your speed. You have to maintain your edge as you ride up the wake.
Old     (Maddog10)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-09-2010, 12:23 PM Reply   
That's what I was thinking. I mean I felt like I was cutting in the same, and I was getting a lot more pop, I just wasn't getting enough distance.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-09-2010, 1:51 PM Reply   
You've been practicing getting more pop and that's cut down on your horz speed, which is fine. Concentrate on using your arms to pull yourself to the second wake. Landing on the downside of the wake is not as impressive as going to the flats, but it's a lot softer.
Old     (Maddog10)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-09-2010, 2:13 PM Reply   
Ok thanks. Yea I never even thought about being able to pull yourself across. At this point in my wakeboarding career (5-6 weeks) I just want to get to where I can clear the whole wake with enough height to work my way into tricks like 360's, tantrums, etc in the future. I feel like I right now I can either clear the wake with little height, or I can get the height to do these tricks but not clear the wake. It was frustrating yesterday. Like I said, I cleared the way good probably six or seven times and the landing was like butter, but all the times i came up short were brutal. I'm behind a 23 foot Sea Ray with no tower, but still I feel like I should be able to get the height and length needed to be able to do spins and stuff later on when my skills progress???
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-09-2010, 8:56 PM Reply   
BROCK YOU SAID YOU SLOWED THE BOAT DOWN.you may have answered your question. you not only make the wake wider but if you don't change approach speed you don't build as much speed. flattening the board hurts your pressure against the water. that will effect your pop mostly. just go back to old speed and try to focus on edge at wake and standing tall at wake.then let us know what length rope and your speed or post with video.GOOD LUCK.
Old     (Maddog10)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-09-2010, 9:55 PM Reply   
Hahaha, Robert it's funny you say that. Here is a quote you posted on my thread last week, "try slowing down to about 20 or 21mph . that will make wake taller and give you more time to stand tall.by stand tall i mean straighten legs push hips forward and push chest up to sky.".... Lol, I'm not trying to be a dick, I just thought it was funny. Besides, we are kinda talking about a different aspect in this thread. The first was geared more towards technique to get more vertical pop whereas this is more about maintaining that pop and still clearing the wake... Anyways, I realize slowing down makes the wake wider, and it certainly did. Had I been at the same speed as last week I think I would have been making it, but I was riding pretty fast at about 24 last week (65 foot rope length.) This week I was riding about 21 or 22 and still at 65'. I feel like I should be able to make it at this speed though. Like I said, I at least doubled my height and was probably going about the same distance as last week but the wake was wider. Btw, no tower on my boat. I don't know how much of a difference that makes?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-12-2010, 6:21 PM Reply   
brock now you give me all the details . 65 foot rope length 20 or 21 mph that all sounds good. even without tower you should be able to clear that easily. i was teaching a new wakeboarder just today. we used a 65 foot rope because he was having trouble with 70 foot rope. we were going 20 mph no weight in boat except me and my wife a little over 300lbs for both of us.so i went out and showed him the difference between progressive edge and ollie[flat edge] he was doing. i cut out 8' from wake and cleared it easy. just wanted to show him he didn,t have to charge wake just be on powerful edge when standing tall.he then went out and cleared the wake 5 times in a row.next time i will work him at 70 foot and 21 mph.as far as your above post i may not totally understand what you are saying. the 24 mph is extremely fast for that rope length.24 mph is what i usually run for 85 foot rope length.it sounds like you have figured out vertical pop but need a little more speed to the wake. i am saying approach speed not boat speed. if you can post a video i can tell you where you need to change technique.text is read different by different people. it is much easier to help someone face to face. but video is next best way for me to see what you are talking about.if above text doesn't help please post video.GOOD LUCK.
Old     (Maddog10)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-12-2010, 10:45 PM Reply   
Alright thanks a lot man. I'll try to get another video this weekend and get it posted up for you to check out. Thanks again!