Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (OffTheLip)      Join Date: Mar 2011       03-22-2011, 10:47 PM Reply   
Pretty cool stuff. You can bet with a little press there's going to be quite a few attempts at this record. Check the video at the end of the article: http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/...+panama+canal/

Quote:
Panama's Gary Saavedra, intent on discovering his limitations, surfed a wave created by a boat moving through the Panama Canal for 3 hours, 55 minutes and two seconds, while spanning a distance of 41.3 miles.

The 13-time national surfing champion set Guinness World Records for longest time and distance surfed on open water. (England's Steve King had held the time record: 1 hour, 6 minutes, set while riding a tidal bore wave in 2006. The distance record is new.)
Quote:
"After the third hour, my body was very tired," he said. "I almost fell eight times. In the first hour, I worked very hard and used all my energy. The weather was harsh ... I had never trained in such conditions."

Thie unusual odyssey began Saturday at 6:40 a.m. in Gatun Lake within the canal. Saavedra surfed toward the east behind a two-foot wave created by a wakeboarding boat.
Old     (jstewart319)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-23-2011, 4:21 AM Reply   
Does anyone know what set-up he had on the boat? It looks like a MC X-25 to me.
Old    surfdad            03-23-2011, 5:19 AM Reply   
I read that is was an X-25:

"...through the Gatun Lake, and back again to where he started, surfing a wave created by a MasterCraft X25 2010 boat."

http://www.ink-on-the-web.com/2011/0...-panama-canal/
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-23-2011, 12:16 PM Reply   
I've done 5 miles before on Lake Erie,I can't even imagine that distance.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-23-2011, 5:49 PM Reply   
Sounds like a job for the "Saltless Surfer". My favorite loco goofy rider.
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-23-2011, 8:16 PM Reply   
i asked chris if he thought he could stand behind the boat for 4 hours ........ he laughed

looks like he is on a skimboard? i wonder which style board would tire you less for a long endurance run like that

we have just been surfing big time at santa cruz this winter ........ i havent even seen the boat since november ........ looks like we will be splitting our time this coming year at the ocean and on the boat ........ chris has been riding a quad fin fish in the ocean and maybe .............
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-23-2011, 8:20 PM Reply   
RJ has done about 60 mins once, just because we were going to the other side of the lake, and RJ said, "can I surf it". I would think a stable surf style board would be easier to not lose your balance when you get tired.

RJ and Whitney would love to head out with you once or twice to Santa Cruz. That would be fun, and make a great podcast.
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-23-2011, 11:19 PM Reply   
as soon as the weather clears up robert we will hit it ........ we will be there all this weekend but the weather is alittle too unsettled for saturday but sunday is supposed to be real nice ......... we now have a couple of real nice longboards and 2 nice shortboards ......... im even getting a shortboard for a 280lber !!!!!!
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-28-2011, 11:23 AM Reply   
didn't somebody ride for 24hrs straight? I would think they would have killed this record
Old     (ShawnB)      Join Date: Oct 2010       03-30-2011, 1:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrey10 View Post
didn't somebody ride for 24hrs straight? I would think they would have killed this record
My understanding is that guy rode for 24 hours but had to stop to refuel every 3 hours or so. I think the next holder of this record will either have to a) refuel under power or b) have a larger fuel tank than the X25.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-30-2011, 7:50 PM Reply   
That was Warrick Bell
Old     (mstoked2)      Join Date: Dec 2008       04-01-2011, 12:07 PM Reply   
Warrick Bell
http://www.livinglakecountry.com/oco...101992873.html
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-02-2011, 8:04 AM Reply   
"The team from People's Wave Center uploaded a video of the recent testing. Check it out and get an inside look at the facility. One surfer maintained a barrel ride for over 2 minutes. Probably a new world record! "
I guess they never heard of wakesurfing