Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 13, 2007

Old     (leblanc1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-26-2007, 9:17 AM Reply   
I'm heading to Nellis AFB from NorCal next month and I plan on towing my boat with. Does anybody know how far it is from Nellis AFB to the nearest boat launch on Lake Mead? Suggestions? Thanks.
Old     (bucnoles)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-26-2007, 9:26 AM Reply   
Your looking at a 45 minute drive from the base. Are you just coming for a couple of weeks or is it a long term stay? If it's short term you could probably find a pull while in town. Let me know, later.
Old     (bummerkit)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-26-2007, 2:07 PM Reply   
if you put your boat in the water make sure to flush it and clean it really well after you pull it out. they found the zebra mussels there. im just praying they dont make it to powell.
Old     (leblanc1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-26-2007, 2:49 PM Reply   
What the hell is that? And is it common for them to get in the system if you're mostly mobile on the water?
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-26-2007, 3:05 PM Reply   
yes they are microscopic and get everywhere. they've made it all the way across the U.S. but I don't think they're on the west coast yet. They come from over seas on an ocean vessel that was introduced through the great lakes. No one knows how to kill them without killing everything in the lakes. Supposedly they reproduce and grow very rapidly. Eventually they are thought to choke off the whole lake killing everything living there.

Links:
http://nationalatlas.gov/articles/biology/a_zm.html
http://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/aquatics/zebramussel.shtml
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-26-2007, 3:10 PM Reply   
The California Department of Waterways send out thousands of letters to boaters talking about these little guys.... From what I recall, they did say that the mussels are in CA now....