Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old     (powdrhound)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-03-2004, 5:20 PM Reply   
Just wondering for all the surfers ex surfers on here. what would you prefer.
Insane butter warm lake temp being the only boat out wakeboarding
or
perfect surf.. say 4-6ft super clean tubes and 4 guys out max
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-03-2004, 7:41 PM Reply   
I'll take surfing for $1000, Alex.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-03-2004, 8:27 PM Reply   
I think any surfer would agree with:

"perfect surf.. say 4-6ft super clean tubes and 4 guys out max"

Much easier to find butter than 4-6 foot surf with four guys out. That is unless of course you live in the South Pacific.
Old     (marcg)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-04-2004, 7:40 AM Reply   
4-6ft super clean tubes and 4 guys out max
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-04-2004, 9:39 AM Reply   
surfing
Old    norcal_99            05-04-2004, 9:43 AM Reply   
4-6 foot surf with four hundred guys out is really common in Norcal.
Old     (actiondcpd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-04-2004, 9:45 AM Reply   
I agree with blabel... you can still find butter in so cal... but perfect surf w/o people is pretty tough to come by
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       05-04-2004, 1:20 PM Reply   
perfect surf.. say 10-12ft super clean tubes
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-04-2004, 1:33 PM Reply   
Where are the best places to live with employment and surfing?
Old    norcal_99            05-04-2004, 1:36 PM Reply   
Silicon Valley is only 35 - 40 minutes from some of the best surfing in CA.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-04-2004, 1:38 PM Reply   
Went out on the boat last Saturday for the first weekend out this year. It was a beautiful day with amazing conditions on the delta.

MattR was not riding because he hurt his knee on a 4 wheeler.

JR was eager to ride but blew out his knee on his first invert of the day.

Dane was eager to ride but only in the slow lane because of knee issues.

We ended the day with a little wake surfing that was lots of fun.

So, I am really thinking about this surfing stuff. I think I need to make a road trip to SD. I have always loved the area.
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-04-2004, 1:40 PM Reply   
Dane, come on down! You know there's a bunch of us down here that would love to hook you up.

I've surfed the last three times in trunks, and we've had a lot of good surf lately, like the pic below. I'm going again this evening. Can't wait!

dmsurf
Old     (powdrhound)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-04-2004, 3:44 PM Reply   
I thought as much
and blabel your not far wrong I live in Wellington NZ and 2hrs dve away is a LH pointbreak that breaks really nice and mid week you'd be lucky to have 6 guys when its working
Its IMHO one of the most underated unknown waves in NZ and hopefully it stays that way :-)
do need a 4/3 suit most of the time though (maybe 3/2 but I'm pretty soft)
Old     (supersport)      Join Date: Dec 2001       05-04-2004, 6:29 PM Reply   
Dane,
I live 10 minutes from the 101 corridor in socal. Along the corridor there is Amgen, Baxter pharmaceuticals, united online, homestore, Northrop Grumman, and so on. Some of the biggest and smallest companies in the world.
And 15 minutes away is Malibu, secos, county line, zuma. Socal has some premere surf spots.
Old     (azsufer)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-04-2004, 6:50 PM Reply   
I live in Scottsdale, Arizona but go to school at the UofA in Tucson. Anyways I have always loved SD...the ocean, the people, the weather etc...and fortunately a good friend of mine who lives in a condo on the boardwalk has asked me if I would like to live with him over the summer.

Obviously I said yes and come June I am going to want someone to teach me how to surf...and a pull behind a boat wouldnt be bad either.

Kyle
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-04-2004, 8:21 PM Reply   
Kyle, UofA is a great school. I almost went there straight out of high school but when I moved down there I got convinced to play JC basketball at Pima, so I never ended up there. Ended up at UCLA for law school so, although I used to like the Wildcats, I now respectfully abhor them.

At any rate, you should have no problem hooking up for pulls here in San Diego if you stay active on the board, and keep an eye on the "Need a Third" section. Your friend lives in a condo on the boardwalk and doesn't know how to surf??? That's just wrong.
Old     (mike_schwenne)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-04-2004, 8:40 PM Reply   
Both are great in their own respect. The thing that ruins surfing is the attitudes. I'd have to say with perfect conditions like arun said, "10-12ft super clean tubes" With surfing conditions like that; just you, your friends, God and nature it's absolutely amazing. Plus, I get to ride perfect lake conditions 5 days a week all summer, so that may be why I value a perfect day of surf better.
Mike Schwenne
www.westcoastcamps.com
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-04-2004, 9:23 PM Reply   
CBrown, my friend just got back from New Zealand. He told my I HAVE to visit there before I die. He has been all around the world and that was his favorite place.

10-12 feet = Too big for me!
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-04-2004, 9:30 PM Reply   

quote:

The thing that ruins surfing is the attitudes.

I wouldn't say it ruins it but I know exactly what you are talking about. I had no idea when I got into surfing how full of attitude many surfers are. One thing you can be assured of, you are a kook by someone's definition!

Before I got into surfing I was very into wakeboarding, and I used to get frustrated way too easily, and didn't like myself when I got that way. I made an agreement with myself for surfing that (a) I would try very hard never to get frustrated and (b) I would never say anything negative to anyone in a lineup no matter what.

I have pretty much stuck to those rules, and have strictly stuck to Rule (b). I have been tempted, because sometimes there are some kooks out there, no doubt about that. But it's much better to look toward the ocean for the next wave and forget about it then get into it with someone.
Old    tribal            05-05-2004, 7:23 AM Reply   
Perfect surf anyday.Watching a perfect wave sends shivers down my spine.That said I'd rather be wakeskating than surfing the pudy waves that are common around here in the summer.No offense guys but that pic of the cali surf was pretty uninspiring as well.Coral reefs rule.
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-05-2004, 8:06 AM Reply   

quote:

No offense guys but that pic of the cali surf was pretty uninspiring as well.

No offense taken, but that was 4-6 feet, and although not "super clean" pretty darn nice for mid-day, not to mention it being 85 degrees that day. Anyway, stay in Canada if uninspired!
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-05-2004, 8:14 AM Reply   
Here's a different perspective on a different (but similarly sized) April swell in San Diego.

ob
Old     (supersport)      Join Date: Dec 2001       05-05-2004, 12:54 PM Reply   
Uninspiring? I get a hard on looking at that beachbreak bomber...
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-05-2004, 2:01 PM Reply   
More uninspiring surf. April 9th, La Jolla...

ws
Old     (powdrhound)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-06-2004, 4:58 AM Reply   
Sean Sean Sean they look like some mighty fine waves to me.. especially the first of the last and I'm willing to bet you'd still take an ok day at cloudbreak or G-Land vs a days wakeskating

(Message edited by powdrhound on May 06, 2004)
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-06-2004, 8:34 AM Reply   
hmmm that looks cool and all but since i live in Dallas Tx and we have nowhere to surf,and seeing as ive never tried it before i have ot pick

INSANE BUTTER all day all year all the time :-)

easy choice :-)
Old    tribal            05-06-2004, 8:43 AM Reply   
I really hit a nerve with the cali boys.These other 2 pics inspire me but that first shot still looks mushy and not well lined up.Chris I would def take a day surfing Cloudbreak or G land over anything else in the world except for maybe Nias being that I'm regular foot.Going back to Fiji in October this year.I'm totally stoked havn't been back there in years.Hit the surf hard and bring the Wakeskate for down daysCan't wait to get my surfing buds from Fiji trying the skate they'll be stoked.Have to bring an old one I can leave it with them.
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-06-2004, 12:03 PM Reply   
Sean, you didn't hit a nerve. It was really just an excuse for me to share the stoke from an epic spring of surf here in Socal. The first pic wasn't meant to show some kind of "special" surf -- rather it was head high, sunny, and fun. In other words, perfect for me. That is a reefy break that does tend to be on the mushy side, no doubt.
Old     (powdrhound)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-06-2004, 11:42 PM Reply   
fair enough bill but there is a saying that only a surfer knows the feeling. If you ever get the chance give it a go it might even make you want to move.

Sean you suck man hows about we swap lives then you can be working for the man snowboarding and wakeboarding on the weekends and I can be scrubbing coral from my arse at cloudbreak before going home to Canada to wakeboard and guide heliboarding tours
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-07-2004, 7:51 AM Reply   
I would pick surfing for sure. The stoke and environment far surpasses wakeboarding.

Its kind of funny...spend under a grand for surfing gear versues 50K + for wakeboarding boat and gear.

(Message edited by Pierce Bronkite on May 07, 2004)
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-07-2004, 9:42 AM Reply   
Not to mention the beauty of waking up and deciding to go surfing which involves throwing your board and a towel and maybe a suit in the truck and grabbing a cup of coffee vs. the production that is every trip to the lake, river, or especially bay (saltwater) to wakeboard.

Don't get me wrong, I still like to wakeboard, but if forced to choose there would be no hesitation.
Old     (supersport)      Join Date: Dec 2001       05-07-2004, 10:04 AM Reply   
Take a look at the the first pic again... that second wave is already jacked up and ready to throw. Not mushy.
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-07-2004, 10:25 AM Reply   
Joe, that's my "home" break and I can confirm it's a pretty mushy break. I can almost guarantee those waves did not get hollow at all, but were still very fun rides. Sometimes that break gets hollow on the inside, though.

A San Diego area surfer put together this very cool "surf stoke" cartoon. Check it out!

Kleeman and Mike
Old     (supersport)      Join Date: Dec 2001       05-07-2004, 11:20 AM Reply   
A saw that cartoon on another thread. I liked it.

That second wave doesnt look too mushy to me.