Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-19-2010, 3:49 PM Reply   
Day 1: http://www.wakeworld.com/news/featur...ay-1-of-4.html
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-21-2010, 1:31 PM Reply   
Day 2: http://www.wakeworld.com/news/featur...ay-2-of-4.html
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-21-2010, 1:31 PM Reply   
Day 3: http://www.wakeworld.com/news/featur...ay-3-of-4.html
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       08-21-2010, 4:38 PM Reply   
I guess everybody is waiting for the Pro results. But, if I understand correctly 13 year old Tony Iacconi wins under 18 Jr Mens. Isn't that insane!?
Old     (timmo)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-22-2010, 4:42 AM Reply   
What did Harley do to score 91.67, and where's the video?!?! Can't wait to see what craziness he lays down in the Final today
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-22-2010, 5:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripsw View Post
I guess everybody is waiting for the Pro results. But, if I understand correctly 13 year old Tony Iacconi wins under 18 Jr Mens. Isn't that insane!?
Tony absolutely kills it!!!! Cool kid too!! But really shreds!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-22-2010, 2:39 PM Reply   
I don't want to take credit or anything, but there's only one pro rider that I threw a "good luck" out to via email yesterday! Dean Smith wins Worlds. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy!

Final Results: http://www.wakeworld.com/news/featur...ay-4-of-4.html
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-22-2010, 3:24 PM Reply   
Hey Dean,so,so stoked for you man. Just awesome!! I hope you read this. And Nic,well done sweetheart, wish I could have been there.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-22-2010, 3:35 PM Reply   
Final 2010 King of Wake Standings: http://www.wakeworld.com/news/latest...standings.html
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-22-2010, 5:01 PM Reply   
Stoked for dean smith to win, wouldnt have expected that. Bummed for Harley though, feel like he was by far the best rider this year and walked away empty handed (PWT tour title/World Champ/King of Wake)
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-22-2010, 5:55 PM Reply   
congrats to you dean. i like to see the underdog win. not to mention someone who goes huge. and good job to all the rest of the riders i'm sure you gave it your best.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-22-2010, 6:12 PM Reply   
Harley was by far best rider overall for the year. the point system need to be addressed
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-22-2010, 6:39 PM Reply   
i agree harley is very good. if he was the most consistent he would have won. i am confident he will address this and do better next year he is a hungry competitor.
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-22-2010, 7:40 PM Reply   
"if he was the most consistent he would have won"... wouldn't that apply to anybody?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-22-2010, 8:28 PM Reply   
^^^YES that was my point phil was most consistent.
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-22-2010, 9:26 PM Reply   
oh, okay, i misread that in a weird way, I thought you were implying "he should have won, even though he wasn't the most consistent" (thats why I thought it sounded silly) haha my bad
Old     (arizonarider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-22-2010, 9:34 PM Reply   
ya part of being the best is being consistent. phil deserved his titles and dean smith deserved his world title.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-23-2010, 1:27 AM Reply   
Probably hugely disappointing for Harley,being so prominent in virtually everything relating to wakeboarding this year that he goes home empty handed, so to speak. He still won Nationals,though,probably get rider of the year,maybe trick too?? Also he is still so young and has the potential to dominate for years to come. Even if the red hot newcomers don't actually win it all they still contribute so much because they force everybody else to "step it up"
Gotta give Phil huge props as well though.Must have been loads of pressure from the young guns and he saw them off.The tour is just so competitive and the level of riding is insane,so just to win one event....
And Dean of course. Massive achievement yesterday. Thought Bob Soven was outstanding as well. A genuine contender right up to Knoxville and then Worlds finals. Rookie of the year.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-23-2010, 2:02 AM Reply   
Stoked for Dean, amazing rider

Gotta say one thing, when is the complete and utter BS that is the chase system gonna stop? Harley actually won on points but because of the chase system awarding more points to the final 3 stops Phil wins it.

Now Im not bashing Phil, but to me its pretty simple, Harley rode the best over the whole series but because Phil rode better in the last few stops he gets the King of Wake crown. Doesnt quite seem fair and I really dont understand the point of it all.

Bob for Rookie of the year no question, he was right up there the whole season
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-23-2010, 5:09 AM Reply   
they both knew and rode by the same rules. i think harley is a great rider and very well may be the best ever in the future.but being the champ is about being consistent. just like in boxing,if you go 15 rounds with a guy and you knock him down three times but only take 2 more rounds. he would win ten rounds on points and not have a single knockdown.but he would get the decision.don't worry i think harley will learn from this and win next year.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-23-2010, 5:56 AM Reply   
Congrats Dean-o!
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-23-2010, 6:14 AM Reply   
Mark - I hate the chase system as much as anybody. It either works hugely for you or damages your chances. Last year Harley benefitted,this year it worked against him. If I remember correctly AA was affected hugely by it last season. I have never really understood the point of it.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-23-2010, 9:16 AM Reply   
Yeah AA got screwed pretty hard last year, IMO. I don't really get why they change it. "They" will tell you that it makes it more competitive, however, I just think that it hurts the people that have been killing it all year only to come up short.....because of the additional points.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-23-2010, 9:33 AM Reply   
just like in football you can play good all year win your division ,get a first round bye and lose in the championship game or the super bowl. i don't understand your whining. all competitors had to compete with same rules in place. all double points were available to all competitors.do you say to the guy who ran 25 miles faster than anyone else you should have won the 26 mile marathon you were ahead of everyone else most of the way.
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-23-2010, 9:51 AM Reply   
Robert, I definitely see your point, but after 25 miles of the 26 mile marathon, they don't decide to make the 26th mile worth more than any of the prior miles, the time of that mile is worth just the same as of any of the 25 previous miles. Or for example, at the 25th mile marker, they don't bring up everyone that was behind you and start them at a scaled-down distance from where they were, so the guy a mile behind you is suddenly only 100 yards or something.

I definitely think the idea behind the chase is a good one, but in practice, it needs some refining, although I haven't been able to think of any good fixed myself.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-23-2010, 10:35 AM Reply   
Congrats to Dean. Happy to see him win. I had him kind of placed in the Lyman / Randall category of riders that go huge, have a ton of style, but not so much a contest rider. Very pleased to see him win this and prove me wrong. He's one of my top 5 favorites. I'd love to see his final pass.

As for the Harley vs. Soven debate. As stated above, it's about being consistent. Soven is the more experienced rider. Harley may have a couple of technical hammers over Soven, but Phil is still the man to beat. He's a vet.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-23-2010, 6:12 PM Reply   
understood but more outright wins in a season should be rewarded with something extra.....
Old     (wakecrzy2000)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-23-2010, 6:47 PM Reply   
I just watched his run online and his hoochie bs 360 was nuts!
http://wakeboardingmag.com/videos/20...s-winning-run/
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-23-2010, 7:27 PM Reply   
Hey Robert, I know where youre coming from but I dont think your examples are comparable. Boxing and marathon running are single events so of course it only matters what the finishing result is. The football comparison is a bit closer since its a series of individual games but again its a different scenario since the goal of the season is to qualify for the playoffs. In the pro tour there is no such thing. Its simply a series of individual competitions with a points value attached. Now for me the point of an overall series champion is exactly what you and J-Rod said, being the most consistent. According to the points (without the artificial chase system) Harley is the most consistent.

I completely understand the concept of the chase system, I just think its something that marketing guys, rather than core riding guys came up with. Its only purpose is to try and make sure that there cant be an outright leader coming into the final competitions with an unassailable lead. This makes it more "exciting" for the fans and motivates the other pro riders. Its totally unnecessary, all the pro riders are hungry enough as it is and as for the fans I can only speak for myself but I don't find it exciting at all, I just think its unfair.

Dean is amazing, one of the most underrated riders I think, hes got the massive air and style of guys like Lyman and Randall but he also has super tech tricks which he takes HUGE. Compare his KGB 5 to Harleys.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-23-2010, 7:34 PM Reply   
holy crap, just watched Deans winning run, that hooch bs3 was incredible, if you watch the rotation he fully pulls the board back into a krypt position so the full rotation is actually a 540 coming down. Unbelievable
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-23-2010, 7:53 PM Reply   
That is awesome. That Hoochie to Back 3 was ridiculous. I had the pleasure of hanging out with Dean-O and some other Ronix riders up at radar a couple weeks ago. He is a really cool cat. Congrats Dean-O.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-23-2010, 8:30 PM Reply   
not trying to argue with anyone . their is a spin for everything. all examples have participants that know the rules of the game or the contest before they start competeing . by no planned circumstances they for some reason don't do as well as others WHEN IT COUNTS THE MOST. therefore they don't win the ultimate prize. i'm not saying it's a fool proof system . i'm saying all the competitors knew what they had to do to win. i would have rather seen harley win i think he is a great rider who pushes the sport,as i said before he will learn from this and be better prepared when IT COUNTS next time. GO HARLEY!
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-27-2010, 5:09 AM Reply   
the points system is legit. you can do the exact same this on the WCT and then have 2 bad results counted in your points and lose the championship to the surfer who consistently was putting up 2nds and 3rds with a win or two in there. it's hard with wakeboarding because there are not a lot of contests and you don't get to drop your worst result. oh well, this will be a lesson for him and it also shows that Phil is still the most clutch competition rider in the world. bTW deans run was the best contest pass i have ever seen.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-27-2010, 9:13 AM Reply   
Kyle, I think you've misunderstood the point system. Harley scored the most tournament points throughout the King of Wake series (695), not Phil (680). In effect, Harley had some points taken away (or Phil had some added on) when they made the "Chase" points adjustment after Nationals. I think the point people are trying to make is that the rider that performed the best throughout the year got a second place trophy and the rider that performed the second best, but had a strong last three tournaments, got the first place trophy.

What they've done is essentially split the season and required the riders to compete in two different series. The first series (through Nationals) determines whether or not you'll even been invited to participate to the second series (the last three tournaments). Only the top ten from the first series get to participate in the second series. The winner of the second series gets the King of Wake title, even if they were ranked #10 after the first series. The riders knew at the beginning of the year how everything works and that it was most important to perform your best in the last three tournaments. However, it still kind of sucks to have been the most consistent rider and walk away with nothing for your efforts.

Last edited by wakeworld; 08-27-2010 at 9:25 AM.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       08-27-2010, 3:53 PM Reply   
^^^He SHOULD get the ROTY though.........
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-27-2010, 7:46 PM Reply   
just read the football thread all through the year and you will see alot of teams get ROBBED there is alot of crime in football as well as wakeboarding. i heard it all in nascar. their points system is the same and jimmy johnson has found a way to get an advantage. he,s consistent all year including the chases last ten races.i heard all that whining before from the fans but the drivers just said jimmy,s the man to beat we will have to do better next year,by the way i,m a kasey kahne fan.