Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (NickT)      Join Date: May 2010       05-07-2010, 7:55 PM Reply   
This is my first day on the website and I need some help. I have about a 40k budget for a good long lasting wakeboard / surf / tubing boat. I'm looking for something that can work well for learning young ones and still throw a big enough wake for more advanced riders. The surfing is also a large condidtion on the boat. I have been looking at the mastercraft x-2. I would like something a bit bigger but also scared of the 8.1L engine costing a bit to much to run. Does the x-2 have a decent wake?? Living on a lake I need a motor that won't suck it down too fast! Any thoughts would be a huge help. Thanks
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-07-2010, 8:29 PM Reply   
big wake = big gas bill.for a good all around boat that you can also ski and tube behind i recomend tige 22ve you should be able to get a 2007 to 2008 model for about 40k. for a mastercraft figure a 2005 to 2006.the tige also makes a awesome surf wake on both sides.
Old     (moon)      Join Date: Oct 2008       05-07-2010, 9:24 PM Reply   
My brother-in-law has an 06 X-2 and I would have to say that it's a pretty sweet boat even though I'm an MB owner (older 220V). With stock ballast the wakeboarding wake is pretty good and I'm not quite sure how he weighs it for surfing but I don't think it's a bad surf boat either (but who am I to talk since the only time I surf it is behind his boat).

Moon
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-08-2010, 4:47 AM Reply   
With that size budget you will have a lot to choose from. Nautique 210,220 Malibu 23 Supra 21,22 Moomba 21,22,24 to name a few go out and drive a few different boats pick the one that fits your needs.
Old    ScottRobinson            05-08-2010, 8:44 AM Reply   
You also should go look at the EPIC line. I know, not what is normally said, but great boat, big engine, huge wake and you can get into a 23 foot boat as well. Look at the EPIC thread here, or PM me if you want to know more. I just ordered a 2011 and it's due here in 2 weeks. I can show you lots of pictures about them and give you all the info you want. I am not a dealer just someone who fell in love with them. The new ones are a bit over your budget but I know the owner of the company and I bet I can get you a BRAND NEW 23v 2009 with ZERO hours on it for around your price point...hit me up.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-08-2010, 9:26 AM Reply   
I'll second what Scott said. You can't beat the deal that's going on right now with Epic. I'm biased though, I have one of those 09's that came very reasonably priced.

I also agree with Robert. Big wake=lot's of gas. The cool thing about an Epic is, the boat still handles like it's empty, even when it's loaded down with the 4000# of stock ballast.

I know you said your scared of a 8.1, but it actually uses less fuel when loaded then a comparable boat with a 350. And I've never heard anyone say that they wished there boat was slower out of the hole. So if you ask me, bigger is better.
Old     (dru1974)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-08-2010, 9:48 AM Reply   
I honestly thnk all the major players in the direct and v drive markets build a good boat. the only one i dislike is gekko but they are built well, i just dont like the look.
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-08-2010, 10:27 AM Reply   
You could probably get close to a new leftover Tige Z1 for that. Excellent surf wake.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-08-2010, 10:30 AM Reply   
If you surf, demand the CAT exhaust found on 07 and newer as upgrade on the indmar motors. Such as the 340 HP in my Supra.
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-08-2010, 10:36 AM Reply   
http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=819478
http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=815368
Old     (dru1974)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-08-2010, 10:52 AM Reply   
i love the look of the tige z1
Old     (MobiusStripClub)      Join Date: May 2010       05-11-2010, 11:59 AM Reply   
So does the first Z1 come with or without a trailer. Just curious....
Attached Images

Old     (NickT)      Join Date: May 2010       05-08-2010, 7:06 PM Reply   
Thanks for the help. The Epic boat line has not even been on by radar. I do like the stock 4000 lb ballast. I do need to go on some test runs but the Tige Z
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-08-2010, 7:39 PM Reply   
Check out Epic for sure!!!! Lots and Lots of boat for the money.

If I had 40k thats what I would be no question.
Old    ScottRobinson            05-08-2010, 8:26 PM Reply   
NICKT....
Sent you a message PM, if you want info on the EPIC let me know
Old     (Silverbullet555)      Join Date: May 2010       05-08-2010, 10:04 PM Reply   
I wouldn't worry about the 8.1. We have on in our boat and unless I spend time at WOT it doesn't suck down much more than the 5.0 that was in our old boat. At WOT, it definitely has the fuel flowing.
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-08-2010, 10:37 PM Reply   
If you went with a brand that doesn't run huge marketing budgets, you'd save some money and probably get a greater bang for the buck. Considering I have a Sanger, I'm obviously going to recommend those boats. They don't have the LCD display and other extraneous bling on the dash, but everything is straight quality and competitive with any boat out there.

If you want something more mainstream, Moomba/Supra and Tiges would do well for your needs. If you went with the Tige, they are pretty good surf machines - probably the best out of the Top 5 manufacturers. I had a Supra previously, and they are very nice. They put out a great wake, but they leave you wanting more on the surf side of things - very much like Mastercraft boats.
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-09-2010, 7:49 AM Reply   
Check out this awesome Z1. Not for sell but, gives you an idea.

Old     (dirtracer27x)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-09-2010, 8:11 PM Reply   
you can find great deals on new centurions in ca from bankrupt dealers
Old     (blowhole)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-10-2010, 8:28 AM Reply   
how bout avy or enzo
Old     (pacifichigh)      Join Date: Jun 2008       05-10-2010, 8:40 AM Reply   
X-2 is a good boat, but stock ballast doesn't cut it for wakeboarding (depending on the year, think its only like 600 lbs). If you want a good wake you are going to need at least another 2k on top of factory.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-10-2010, 8:58 AM Reply   
Since fuel use seems to be a concern, I think a SAN210 is a very efficient hull that does not require huge amounts of weight to get kick a good wake. You will want to stay under 22' if high gas bills will cause strife. Once you get those bigger hulls, they need a LOT more weight to build a good wakeboard wake. The X2 has a great layout, but there are other hulls that will make better wakes and surf waves.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-10-2010, 9:21 AM Reply   
If surfing is a HUGE portion of what you want to do and fuel consumption then the Tige Z1 I would say is your best bet. Go to wakeboarding mag video review of that boat and you will see why. If you can get then CC 210 in the new model and want a great stock wakeboard wake I would go for that I do not know how it surfs. I own an older XStar and almost bought an X2 glad I did not. Its a great boat if you HAVE to be at 20' if not I would look at something else from MC. Also good for space. I just think if its mostly young ones, surfing and the occasional intermediate wakeboarder and gas is an issue the Z1 would be the way to go maybe even a 22ve I know Tige's are SUPER frugal on fuel consumption. Like said previous BIG wakeboard wake means crappy gas. Just my opinion.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-10-2010, 9:57 AM Reply   
EPIC - I have had mine since '07!! Solid boat and newer ones are even better than mine! I have the volvo-penta 8.1 and last Sat with 6 hrs of constant riding with Ballast, we used 1/2 tank or so in a 55 gal tank. That's 6 adults, 2 kids - 8 riders total, 1 an absolute beginner, lots of falls. For the rest of us, 1/2 ballast +. I could go and on and on but I won't.

Depending on where you are, I guarantee an owner will be happy to take you on a demo - I would - but mine is ol' dirty, lol.

Good luck on your decision there are lots of great boats in your price range.
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-10-2010, 11:01 AM Reply   
I personally wouldn't reccomend the x-2 for surfing, but I have only surfed behind a few of them on a couple occasions. I am sure you can create a decent surf wake with it eventually, but there are definitely better boats to surf behind out there.
Old    ScottRobinson            05-11-2010, 12:02 PM Reply   
that is funny but since the picture has one in it I would assume it does!
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       05-11-2010, 12:24 PM Reply   
I'd second( or third, or fourth...)the Sangers. They have excellent support, build quality is impeccable, guys here swear by the surf wake, the wakeboard wake is awesome, arguably one of the best handling boats on the water, and you can probably get an incredible deal on one right now (as I would assume you could on all boats)

That being said, you need to narrow your personal preferences down, then get the best deal you can. There are a ton of deals it seems right now. I would also have to agree that the Epic would be an incredible boat to have, (other than the weird transom speakers). Tige's are beautiful boats too...but like I said, narrow your search to 2 or 3 boats, then get the one that offers the best overall package (deal, service, etc...) The new Malibu V-ride 23footer would be a kick ass setup. Huge boat, proven wake performance at all levels...(except perhaps skiing...lol)

The only reason I didn't mention Mastercraft is their last big "DEAL" left their customers feeling violated( from what I've read).