Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ogopogo)      Join Date: May 2005       07-03-2007, 1:20 PM Reply   
Just got our new toy this weekend. First day out we were riding with the wedge down, the 250 rear tank full, the middle 450 tank full and one 500lbs sack in the rear storage area. About 5 guys in the boat. The wake was sick.

Second day out we had about 10 people in the boat with the same weight with wedge down. It was to steep and washy, brought the wedge up and it was better/cleaner but not as nice as the first day??

Anybody have any pointers?
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-03-2007, 2:33 PM Reply   
congrats on the new boat!!

depending on the size of boat, sometimes there can just be too much weight (people) on the boat to move around/position properly for a good wake. which malibu did you go with?

we have the v-ride and I've found that about 5 people in the boat is perfect (with a similar tank/fatsac and wedge down set-up as you describe).
Old     (ogopogo)      Join Date: May 2005       07-03-2007, 2:40 PM Reply   
We have the VLX (21'6 wakesetter) with the power wedge. Went from a 2001 DD launch, which had a nice size surf wake but not as big or steep as the VLX. I noticed that we are riding way faster as well, which is giving me a bit of hard time with ollies and spins.

Heard someone saying that they put the wedge at 3/4 the way down??

We also put the 1235 acme prop on, it performs very well when weighted.

The wakeboarding wake is amazing, I can barely walk today, 2500lbs ballast + 11 people + wedge= a giant wall of water!
Old     (locwakeoutlawscom)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-03-2007, 3:43 PM Reply   
Ryan -

I have an 06 VLX, and have had the V-Ride smeader talked about, 03 VLX. I have had 10+ with thousands of ballast in each and it's just placement and distribution. If you slam the back, slam the front and mid - learn how to drive with that many people and stay safe not chillidipping and you'll be fine.

The Power Wedge @ 3/4 is perfect, always tune with the amount of weight and people/gear and your placement, but I'd count on having more than stock to actually create a wave to ride with height and weight. Check out this article on weighing your exact boat, without the power wedge (manual). The stock ballast is just not enough to get the job done.

Check Out This Article

There is also a lot of videos and pics of your model boat, and others with the Power Wedge there to help you in your weight issues.
Old     (ogopogo)      Join Date: May 2005       07-03-2007, 3:55 PM Reply   
^^ Thanks man, Looks like we might need more weight in the front, fill the front tank I guess? It's hard to say what speed we are riding at cause the cruise seems to read pretty high, we were at 13.2mph according to it but when wakeboarding it was reading 25.5 to 26 and it felt more like 21.5 to 22????
Old     (locwakeoutlawscom)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-03-2007, 4:00 PM Reply   
GPS your speedo and use the rocker to adjust it, start with it correctly calibrated then you'll know what your wave looks like with speeds X and Y.

In regards to the front yeah, the more weight you get up there the longer and stretched the wave will become ultimately expanding the sweet spot. That ballast tank is there, fill it. If you have less than 6 people, throw a 400 up there on top of the bow ballast on the side you are surfing on. That'll pull that peak out of your wave and create a nice ride.

Did you watch the video? I'm a ways back there and filming from my head (height) so it's a little off in the perception, but it shows the actual wave.
Old     (ogopogo)      Join Date: May 2005       07-03-2007, 4:04 PM Reply   
Ours looked very similar to the vid when it was nice. Can't beleive how nice the port side is as well.

Sick boats......