Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 03, 2009

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-17-2009, 12:58 PM Reply   
Tell us how you broke your boards.

I've been riding for a very long time, and I have never broken a board. I have ripped inserts out of a board when riding but not actually broken one in half. I've most been on Hyperlite boards, but I'm two seasons on my CWB board without breaking it. I'm not a "into the flats all the time" but I do try my fair share of bigger tricks.

So is my technique just that good? haha How did you all land the times that you've snapped your boards?
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-17-2009, 1:34 PM Reply   
Casing the wake off a flip can be deadly.
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-17-2009, 1:38 PM Reply   
Huge raley does it most of the time when our crew breaks them
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-17-2009, 1:41 PM Reply   
Yeah, I thought about raleys but I never broke any doing them. You are carrying a lot of lateral speed so the impact isn't as hard as other tricks.

I would think HS fronts would be a big board breaker.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-17-2009, 1:42 PM Reply   
Back edge catches. Surface 360 broke one of my Roams, and trying to drift a roast beef out the back leading to losing the handle and a back edge catch did in my Parks.
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       03-17-2009, 1:48 PM Reply   
I'm 6'3", 230#'s and went through 4 CWB Platinum Absolutes in about a month riding behind an '06 SAN 210. I'm almost always 4' or 5' into the flats. CWB said that I was just to big for the board and that I rode to aggressively. They sent me a "special" CWB Platinum Absolute on the fifth board and it won't break, it's a tank though.

I have broken about a dozen boards in all. I have broken boards doing anything from a W2W to coming up short on a backroll and digging the nose into the opposite wake and snapping it off. I've also landed tail heavy and broke the tail off before too.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-17-2009, 2:42 PM Reply   
Maybe it's a weight thing. I'm 6' and 175 lbs. Have you ever broken a Monarch Sam? How do you like it compared to your Absolute?
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-17-2009, 2:47 PM Reply   
My buddy cracked his Absolute Platty casing the wake on a backroll.

Upload
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-17-2009, 2:49 PM Reply   
I know people say all boards break, but you hear about the CWB platinums more than any other board. I guess if they are replacing them, then there is no harm other than inconvenience.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-17-2009, 2:55 PM Reply   
I broke one of my boards on a backroll. I have no idea what I did, but it felt like I hit a brick wall when I launched. I remember thinking the board felt really weird afterwords.:-) It snapped in the middle with the top still intact and was still in one piece.
Old     (drewproses)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-17-2009, 3:36 PM Reply   
I have broken a bunch of boards, but it was all due to sliding. Most of the time the board delaminates and once water is inside it the foam cracks.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-17-2009, 4:39 PM Reply   
The Platinums use a less dense foam to decrease their overall weight. I've broken one board in all my years, and it wasn't a Platinum. All my Plattys held up just fine! I just took a Toe Front Roll big into the flats and as soon as I hit the board just buckled. Called the shop and they sent me a new board with a friend the same day, was riding it the next morning. All I had to do was send a pic of the broken board.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-17-2009, 4:55 PM Reply   
I've ripped a binding baseplate right in half eating it on a r2r gone bad, but amazingly the inserts stayed intact in my deck...
Old     (josh_cole)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-17-2009, 5:06 PM Reply   
I've broke a few boards, every single one from raley based inverts like raley's, batwings, and glides out in the flats. I've broke eight that way in a short time period. But I switched to the Marek and I have had it for almost a week now and no sign of fractures or breaks. so far Hyperlite is the hardest brand for me to break.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-17-2009, 5:50 PM Reply   
i'm 210lbs and broke most of my boards on raley's, hoochie glides, and hs front flips. i've only been riding for two years, and i'm thinking that they are all most likely results of bad technique.
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-17-2009, 6:13 PM Reply   
I broke a piece of crap board that my cousin brought to the lake. It was the hydroslide walmart equivalent and he asked me to be the guinnea pig. I bunny hopped on it and it broke in half. Damn near split my sac when i did the splits as the back section broke free and ripped my feet apart at 22 mph. I will never ride a friends cheap aZZ board again.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-17-2009, 8:12 PM Reply   
i gotta lil homie that snaps boards on the regular. they all go in the exact same spot. directly in the middle of the board...perfect break..

thats not bad technique that's just due to goin ginormous
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-17-2009, 8:15 PM Reply   
I only weigh 140 at 5'6" and have broke a couple boards. I am an always in the flats rider and they broke on backroll or raleys. None of the boards have been a hyperlite.
Old     (aussie_stu)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-17-2009, 8:24 PM Reply   
most of the boards we've snapped have been from tail heavy landings, crows are one that broke a few for us
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-17-2009, 9:10 PM Reply   
Just like Stew, the majority of my broken boards were from tail heavy landings, mostly from under rotated fronts.

But I have to say I haven't broken a board in about 5 years. So either they are making them better or i'm not going as big as I used to!!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-18-2009, 8:23 AM Reply   
Eubanks, I dont think I have bad technique I am 6'3" 215lbs of beast. I break tons of wakeboard shiat all the time. From Boards to ropes i eat through it. As for boards breaking lately most are done on "OH SHIATS" on double ups where I just try to survive the crash. Take OA BS 360 for example if you pop the handle you come down so hard on your front foot it just spans the board better the board than my femur. Or Blasting BS 180 off the Dub and coming down tail heavy. Two summers ago I busted a board just launching a Stale poke into the Flats, the board exploded on impact it was horrible, I actually thought I hit a log or some thing. I blew the front edge of the board open, it was aweful, totally concus.

Another thing that I do a lot is rip bindings off boards. This happens when I hook an edge, I think that most of this is due to being tall, I have a lot of length between my knees and my ankles this creates a huge lever arm to destroy boards.

Busting things for me is not just a some thing that happens in wakeboarding, I bust snowboards and skateboard like its my job. Shiat I even snapped a few wakeskates last year.

As of lately I have been busting less and less wake gear, I think a lot of this is due to the board having a center spine. It really helps break the surface tension on impact.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-18-2009, 8:30 AM Reply   
I've broken 4 on rails....not like "snapped" in half but de-lams, worn through, or just terrible chunked up ends.

I kind of cracked my old Byerly DNA on the wake, but it was still sorta ribable... just kind of made it more flexable.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-18-2009, 8:30 AM Reply   
^^^^ Like this. If breaking boards is a reflection of bad technique, then all the guys I know who really rip have bad technique. It's called riding aggressive.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-18-2009, 8:33 AM Reply   
well said tank-
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-18-2009, 8:35 AM Reply   
I was mostly kidding about bad technique. But as Andy said, he breaks them coming down hard on the front foot or coming down tail heavy. I have not doubt that some boards just aren't as strong and break no matter what.

The 3DS I ripped the inserts out of was just a big TS jump out into the flats. My other times I've ripped inserts was from catching an edge.

I guess I've just ridden stronger boards. I've cased hard on some r2r's but have never broken one casing the wake.
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-18-2009, 10:31 AM Reply   
I keep two set ups around just for that reason. They always get warrantied, but I have to have a board to ride while the warranty board is in transit.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-18-2009, 3:29 PM Reply   
I had a byerly (can opener) that i sent into a shop cus i thought something might be wrong with it. They called me and were pretty suprised saying i had an 8 inch crack in my board running legnthwise. Im 6 foot 210 and had never done an invert on that board. But i took way into the flats alllll the time.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-18-2009, 3:48 PM Reply   
I have split a board lengthwise before aswell.