Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            09-09-2009, 12:47 PM Reply   
Dim's are close. The construction is ding prone :-) Wood stringer, 2'ish pound EPS and a vinyl covering (shrink wrap).

4'2" LOA 19.3" wide, 2.3" thick.

Would'ya, could'ya buy one knowing it's disposable? $129 to your door is about as cheap as they come. Wouldn't take much for a wakesurf company to tailor the construction for behind the boat. I'm not sure about the weight rating, could be it's break strength or heel dents.

Upload
Old    surfdad            09-09-2009, 12:50 PM Reply   
Oh! Plus a free t-shirt. :-)
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-09-2009, 1:03 PM Reply   
$129, thats pretty amazing.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-09-2009, 3:18 PM Reply   
is this a good board? why is it so cheap?
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-09-2009, 4:39 PM Reply   
buy it, try it, tell us what you find
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-09-2009, 4:43 PM Reply   
maybe its just blown EPS in mold
Old    mobster            09-09-2009, 6:55 PM Reply   
why ?Upload
Old     (inland_surfer)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-09-2009, 8:15 PM Reply   
Funny story!
When we were first looking for a inexpensive way to make a wakesurfer we approached these folks [ out of Brazil ] and designed a board and rocker for production. The funny thing was that when they shipped our samples they shipped us the Walker Project boards to us and ours to them. Neither one of us knew that the other was working a possible design with them! Needless to say we dropped the idea of ever working with them. It sad that we gave them our in site on what make a board fast, because they did not have a clue! PS The board flexed to much.
O ya we cut it up for this prank on WakeWorld.
Upload
Old    surfdad            09-10-2009, 4:32 AM Reply   
Yeah - that was the killer whale surfing the darkside of an enzo - everyone knows you can't surf the darkside of an ezno. :-)

That's too bad the manufacturer messed up the shipment of the prototypes! I'm going to plunk down the $129 just to see how they're made, the videos they have on their website seem to show the boards do ok. As an entry level board - when they compete against the likes of the broadcast I'm not sure that too much flex is really an issue, especially at less than half the cost. It's funny I've seen the same board for sale on amazon.com, etc as high as $170, it's offering retailers some extra margin.

http://www.softsurfboards.com/dpics/element.wmv
Old    surfdad            09-16-2009, 8:58 AM Reply   
From the FedEx tracking email:

Estimated delivery

Sep 17, 2009
Old    surfdad            09-17-2009, 10:14 AM Reply   
Sep 17, 2009 5:48 AM
On FedEx vehicle for delivery
STOCKTON, CA

It "should" arrive today and hopefully I'll get some pictures posted up tonight. I originally intended to ride it over the weekend, and then cut it in half to look at the construction. It occurred to me, just now, that this board might be suitable for a grom. If you've got a grommet that could use it and give it a good home :-) let me know, otherwise, I'll be performing surgery on it :-)
Old    surfdad            09-17-2009, 3:38 PM Reply   
I found a donee for the board - Tyson's 5 year old daughter will have a brand new board after Sunday. :-)

I unpacked it and it's a definate softop. The foam itself is squeezable. It feels like there may be a 2 pound, perhaps 3 pound density EPS core and that is wrapped with a very low density PE foam - like you'd see for packing electrical components. That PE foam gives it the softop. It's then "shrink wrapped" with the seam electrically welded along the rails.

No sense of too flexy in this particular model. The outline will suck, because it's built as a shortboard for a grom, but the tech is definately viable for behind the boat. It'll surf, I'm certain.
Old    surfdad            09-17-2009, 7:21 PM Reply   
This is a pretty cool setup for a grom. Soft top and bottom - no real way to get hurt if the kids get hit in the head. Flexible fins :-) AND you have to love the "CARES" (short for who cares? :-) ) instruction: "...in case of an emergency use duct tape." That's my motto in life! :-)

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-18-2009, 7:32 AM Reply   
Where do you find that board? That looks like a great "starter" wakesurf board for my kids.
Old    surfdad            09-18-2009, 7:51 AM Reply   
Hey John...I think it has that potential also. If you do a search on Liquid Shredder you'll see a bunch on eBay and Amazon, but the price fluctuation is wild! The same board ranged from 129 delivered to 170 + shipping.

I purchased mine at:

http://www.softsurfboards.com/index.htm

However, please hold off on purchasing one if you are basing your buying decision strictly on this thread. I haven't ridden it yet and I'd like to do that and post up those results, first. I think it probably will be fine for the kids, but if it turns out to be junk, I'd hate for folks to make a mistake and have the kids frustrated.

I should have feed back by Sunday evening.
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-19-2009, 7:13 AM Reply   
Jeff Walker Says "Yeah - that was the killer whale surfing the darkside of an enzo - everyone knows you can't surf the darkside of an ezno."

Why are you seriously so negative to every company that you dont deal with???? You can easily ride the ride the Leftside or the rightside of any enzo. I do it everytime I ride behind one. It doesnt take that much to do it. Damn man you kill me with your negative BS. For someone who is so involved in the WWSA and all the events you voice some strong opinions about companies that have done a ton for the sport. what a joke.
Old    surfdad            09-19-2009, 8:00 AM Reply   
LOLOLOLOL - so out of context. Yes, you're right Drew I should have said - Jeff thanks so much for sharing with us the KILLER WHALE surfing the Enzo wake, so wonderful that you can commune with nature and it's also fortunate that you escaped danger.
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-19-2009, 8:58 AM Reply   
Strange shape, looks different than on original picture - no sharp nose.
Also it looks that plugs at tail will cause drag :-O What they are, some vents or what?
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-19-2009, 9:02 AM Reply   
I see, its drain screw
Old    surfdad            09-19-2009, 9:10 AM Reply   
Good eye Petr. The board we received is different than the one in the picture at the start of the thread. The wide point is forward maybe 6 or so inches. The board has a few "thru" fittings, one is the vent as you noted and the leash plug also. Let's be honest, it's rudimentary construction and finishing at best, but at $129 delivered to your door, I think some folks would be willing to compromise a lot.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-19-2009, 9:14 AM Reply   
Cool. If you need a kids opinion, send it up to me at my expense. I will video tape the kids on it, get a real idea if it works for kids, and T & M will give their honest opinion. If it works, I'll even link to it on wake9. I could then send it off to the 5 year old. No sweat if not, just a suggestion.
Old    surfdad            09-19-2009, 9:30 AM Reply   
I'll connect with Tyson and see what he has to say - basically it's his board after tomorrow. If he didn't have to make the trip to Stockton, it might be worth his while to let you borrow it.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-19-2009, 9:38 AM Reply   
Yeah, I don't mind shipping it to him. Its no sweat, let me know.
Old    surfdad            09-19-2009, 2:58 PM Reply   
I had to revisit this - it was so funny:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/559019/636004.html

In response to the "bite" picture above I posted:

In a radical departure from mainstream wakesurf plan shapes, Inland Surfer introduces the new asymetric Moon Rail. Jeff Page, owner of Inland Surfer was quoted as saying: "This new Moon Rail provides exceptional speed when you are trying to get out of a nasty situation. The increased leverage is more forgiving also, allowing you to carve hard, almost as if you were avoiding a large carniverous fish."

Soon ALL wakesurfers will be offered with this new technology.

I was suspect from that first picture - who surfs the darkside of an Enzo? :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            09-20-2009, 6:04 PM Reply   
So...the shape absolutely sucked for any over 100 pounds. The technology is viable for behind the boat. Dennis noted that it may be an issue with expansion in the heat, but it seemed to handle the 95 degree weather today. Who knows what it's like at 110.

No flex or other unwanted behavior. With wakesurf specific shapes, it would be viable as a price point board.

Upload
Upload
Upload

For a young kid that parents are concerned with saftey and budget conscious, this makes a logical choice to me.
Old     (tshower)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-22-2009, 7:29 PM Reply   
Hey Jeff and Robert,

I have been slammed with work so I just saw your messages. I don't mind if you want to grab it, check it out and then ship to Sacramento or work something else out. It might save me a trip and we can get your kids' opinion. Let me know.
Old    surfdad            09-22-2009, 7:51 PM Reply   
Robert, ball is in your court. What'cha want to do?
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-22-2009, 7:55 PM Reply   
Y, I'll give it a shot, and shoot some video. I will email you and work it out. I have a camera to give you also.
Old    surfdad            09-22-2009, 8:23 PM Reply   
My epoxy view! :-)
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-22-2009, 11:17 PM Reply   
I can put it thru the 110 degree test if necessary
Old    surfdad            09-25-2009, 7:11 AM Reply   
@dtw - you'll need to ask Tyson's 5 year old daughter if she's ok with you melting her board. :-)

@ Tyson and Ragboy

I've boxed up the board, in the original carboard, for Ash to pick up. I just want to point out what you should find inside:

1) The board
2) A 14 x 20 cardboard instruction sheet for assembly - worth keeping.
3) A sealed bag of fin parts:
i) Two fins - left and right are identical
ii) Four thru bolts
iii) A funky screwdriver for the thru bolts - a quarter works just as well :-)

Throw the fins on and it's good to go. I hope all the kids have a good time with it! :-)
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-30-2009, 11:12 AM Reply   
So we took some video and stuff, I will post up tonight. We put some traction on it, and will ship it out tomorrow. Can you email me the address and contact info to where it is going?