Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (fierogtp)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-05-2007, 7:29 PM Reply   
Hey all,
It took me a little while and some searching to find local places to wakeboard... I don't know what the lakes near me look like and how they are to board on so i decided to start a global file for wakesport locations!
If all of us post then eventually we will get a good collection of places to go, the amenities they have, how to contact them and so on.

Hope you all like the idea!!

The link for the Google Earth Community forum is...
http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=993513&page=0&vc=1&PHPSES SID=#Post993513

You'll need a login to get there.

The Google map page is here...
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=http:%2F%2Fbbs.keyhole.com%2Fubb%2Fdownload .php%3FNumber%3D993513&t=k&om=1&ie=UTF8&ll=39.2832 94,-79.365234&spn=12.185124,20.170898&z=6

If you have Google Earth this is the KML file...
http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/download.php?Number=993513

I figured good info to put would be the following;
City/State/Country
Private/Public
Size
Depth
Boat HP limit if any
How many launch ramps
Ramp Fee
etc.

If you don't have, or want to get a free Google Earth Community account you can also post all the prior info here and ill add it to the map!

Thank you ahead of time (VERY much) for all the help and support!
Old     (fierogtp)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-06-2007, 2:16 PM Reply   
No one interested in sharing their Lakes and waterways?
Just post as much info as you can... Ill do all the work of updating the map! The map is getting TONS of hits/downloads. Help the fellow boarders.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-06-2007, 2:19 PM Reply   
Craig, most of us can't wait until we get water to ourselves. Telling everyone else where there is great water is kind of self-defeating. And yes, I am a selfish little 'wakeboarding is more fun when its on glass' snob, but at least I recognize that in myself :-)
Old     (fierogtp)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-06-2007, 3:39 PM Reply   
LOL, i guess that is true. Just figured it would show everyone all the new places to board. In Ohio we have Lake Erie which is RARELY if EVER calm. It helps here to be able to see which of the MANY MANY inland lakes offer the ability to wakeboard on. MANY dont allow power boats at all!
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-06-2007, 3:46 PM Reply   
Its much like surfing, STAY AWAY unless I personally invite you to my secret spot.
Old     (fierogtp)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-06-2007, 4:08 PM Reply   
Personal spot is cool... Im just looking i guess for public places to launch and parks to use
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-06-2007, 7:20 PM Reply   
When I move to a new state I simply go down to the local sporting goods store and buy one of those state maps that show blow up all the regions of the state and show, among other things, that little 'boat' symbol indicating a boat ramp. Then some Saturday afternoon in the winter I go driving and find where they are. This is the one you need to buy.
Upload
Old     (fierogtp)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-06-2007, 7:33 PM Reply   
I have an atlas, honestly the web is a better source... I used... http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/facilitiesmaps/ohioboating/tabid/495/Default.aspx

It listed the parks with all the information i needed to build a nice database. Allot of the lakes have boat ramps but not all allow gas engines or engines over a certain HP. Having the Google database is nice because all you have to do is click the pushpin and you get ALL the data about the lake, camping and such.
Thats all i was trying to do, get a database for all to have.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-07-2007, 7:02 AM Reply   
That's cool...I haven't run into a lake in TN yet that didn't allow powerboats (although I'm sure they exist).
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-07-2007, 7:04 AM Reply   
Ohio seems to be pretty, ummm, anal. "Swimming from the boat is only allowed in designated Boat Swimming Zones"??? Water skiing is allowed in designated areas only? Maybe that is just legal language and not enforced, but having something like that on the books means the potential of a ticket if some DNR officer is having a bad day.
Old     (fierogtp)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-07-2007, 2:13 PM Reply   
Exactly why i wanted to build the database. Most of the actual parks list their interpretations of the rules. Some allow skiing in speed zones or in "wake" zones. Really sucks tho.