Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    wakemark            07-22-2005, 1:12 PM Reply   
I just got back to NYC from Spread Eagle, Wi. a few days ago and I thought I would share some pics of the "break".

My folks have a cottage on a very rural lake up there and it is so behind the times that the first wakeboard boat just arrived this summer. My friend and I loaded about 900 lbs in the back of his little Malibu response and surprisingly it was one of the better boat generated waves I have ridden in a long time!

Old    jasonr            07-22-2005, 11:10 PM Reply   
No life jacket?
Old    wakemark            07-23-2005, 10:37 AM Reply   
By little belly is CGA approved!
Wisconsin is pretty loose on the laws, but thanks for your concern.....
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       07-23-2005, 11:28 AM Reply   
I lived in WI for 14 years and love the summers there for riding. Yes, the life vest laws are pretty loose which is sometimes nice.

A few years back when riding without a vest wasn't such a big deal, I did a tantrum next to a cop boat with 3 DNR officers in it and all they said was "nice flip" and kept on going.

Most of the time when I surf, I don't wear a vest. Being from Hawaii originally, it just doesn't feel right )

I know it's not safe but that's what spotters are for!
Old    jasonr            07-23-2005, 5:03 PM Reply   
I was just curious...thanks

I could see surfing w/o a vest but I doubt they'd like that in Cali
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-01-2005, 10:26 AM Reply   
I think WI has strict laws (you do have to have a life jacket) unless you want $160 ticket. You have to have a spotter (MN only a mirror). And you can't sit on the gunnels (sides) or the sun deck. They have been pulling people over and ticketing for things like these around Eau Claire for as long as I can remember.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-01-2005, 10:43 AM Reply   
I stand corrected, I checked out the laws online, you only have to have a life jacket available for the person(s) in the water in the boat. I must be spending too much time in MN.
Old    wakemark            08-02-2005, 1:18 PM Reply   
Jason,

Yep, as a kid we got some tickets for sitting on gunwales and seat backs and such. I was told a long time ago that for riding or skiing, you must wear a vest unless you are "training for a competition or event". So guess what; we were ALWAYS training for a competition or event....always!

Ryan,

Yep surfing with a vest on would suck balls!

RIP Corey Kraut and FYI, I always wear my vest while wakeboarding
Old    3dsfan            08-13-2005, 12:55 PM Reply   
it's legal to ride without 1 in wisconsin
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-13-2005, 1:04 PM Reply   
i ride in wisconsin without a vest

www.wakecoupons.com
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-23-2005, 2:54 PM Reply   
i'd wear one just so i could relax when i fell. i don't want to be treading water if i don't have to.
Old    ryde4life            08-25-2005, 3:18 PM Reply   
Serious you should wear one! Unless you have Sideswipe Exhaust you will have all those fumes in your face and if you get asphyxiated you will drown dude. You have to be safer than that!
Old    wakemark            08-27-2005, 7:43 AM Reply   
No, actually I DON'T have to be safer than that. Again, thanks for your concern......