Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 29, 2007

Old     (hyule)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-24-2007, 9:27 AM Reply   
Just thinking about trampoline training here. I would assume most pros use the trampoline alot. I would also assume that most pros are incredible on the trampoline...spinning 10's, 12's, moby d 5's, whirly 7's, etc.

We have been getting into trampoline training and we currently have a rope system that uses tension lines to create a very subtle give in the line. I like it because it allows you to style out your tricks easier and is forgiving because it gives you some flex to work with if your tricks are sketchy.

I found practicing on a rigid line tough. What does everyone else use?

Also, anyone throwing pete roses on the trampoline. How do you throw that front 3 in there? Its seems so hard to get my body to move that way?

I'm going to post some action pics soon!
Old     (sjohnson)      Join Date: May 2007       10-24-2007, 9:37 AM Reply   
Our yard isn't safe for a trampoline. Has anyone tried to join a gymnastic gym just to use the tramps? Any idea what they charge?
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-24-2007, 10:26 AM Reply   
Johan,

Pull the rope hard with your back hand past your back hip into the small of your back that will make you spin the 3.

I love tramp training, we use a rope tied to a tree, works fine for me.

The only down fall of tramps is getting hurt on them, I have gotten busted off worse on a tramp then a wakeboard for sure.
Old     (eliotflydog)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-24-2007, 10:26 AM Reply   
for the pete rose on the tramp just pull hard with ur back hand then try to put it in ur pack pocket and it should come around
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-24-2007, 10:28 AM Reply   
Also on the pete now that I think about it, I push my feet away from the rope when I jump that helps the rotation.

(Message edited by andy nintzel on October 24, 2007)
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-24-2007, 12:15 PM Reply   
Go for the front hand grab on the pete.
Old     (waketrix101)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-24-2007, 12:22 PM Reply   
on a pete when you throw the first rotation of the back roll, throw it away from the "boat" this will even unwind into the rotation of the 3!
Old     (hyule)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-24-2007, 1:23 PM Reply   
thanks for the help. my bro and i will be trying these things this evening. maybe i should take some aspirin now.
Old     (eliotflydog)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-24-2007, 5:12 PM Reply   
anybody do doublebackflips on the trampoline
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-24-2007, 6:41 PM Reply   
The Pete is a hard trick to get on the tramp. I practiced switch rolls to blind first.

I trained myself to do 'em by watching the mat of the tramp for as long as I possibly could. It would make me get into the position to flip the second 180.

I do double fronts and double backs on the trampoline.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-24-2007, 8:11 PM Reply   
doubles are pretty easy. when i was jumpin everyday we were almost landing tripples, just barely short. would land on my knees. i think chris williams used to be able to land em
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-24-2007, 8:20 PM Reply   
I can barely make it around on a single front flip. Whats your technique.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-25-2007, 5:26 AM Reply   
Matt, single front flips can be tricky. A lot of the flip is waiting till you are in the air, then throwing your upper body towards your feet. It helps if you try to touch your toes in the air.
Old     (vin)      Join Date: May 2007       10-25-2007, 7:57 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-26-2007, 9:24 PM Reply   
I'm a bigger chicken on a tramp than behind the boat!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-27-2007, 7:48 AM Reply   
Ron,

I feel you on that, I have been to the hospital twice from the tramp. 1 broken ankle, 1 broken wrist. The round "jump king" tramps are super dangerous, on a rectangle tramp you dont have the sideways launching motion that you do on a round tramp. Like if you dont jump perfectly in the center you get shot accross the tramp to the other side, that doesnt happen as much on a rectangle tramp.

Still the best training tool there is. I just refuse to jump on one after a few beers.
Old    murrayair            10-27-2007, 8:17 PM Reply   
I use my trampoline all the time with an old wakeboard or skate deck strapped to my feet and I've never been seriously hurt doing any number of mobes, spins etc. As long as you wait to start your tricks until you are completely in the air you should be fine. Or maybe I've just gotten lucky.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-28-2007, 12:34 PM Reply   
Anyone Know waht my problem is? I cant seem to single flip on a trampoline. ive tried any variation; backrolls, frontrolls, regular back flips, regular front flips, and I cant seem to get anything all the way around. I always land on the edge of the tramp through 75% of the flip. is it because I have a round tramp, its a 12' diameter one, what size does everyone else use? and how is that kid getting so high in the air?
Old     (vin)      Join Date: May 2007       10-28-2007, 5:10 PM Reply   
these kids practically live on the trampoline, both kids are 14(and yes the one in the brown shirt has broke an ankle(hairline fracture) on the tramp. notice that there is 2 of them on there, they do what they call a double bounce, its all about the timing. when one gets double bounced they shoot up in the air like a rocket! although they both can do the flips and all without being double bounced. some people think that they jump off the roof, that is not the case! Although they do ask to do it.
Old     (gurubrdz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-29-2007, 10:28 AM Reply   
Just go to GURUTRAMPBOARDS.COM and check out the "MEDIA" section to see the possibilities!
Old    murrayair            10-29-2007, 8:38 PM Reply   
Trevor- it sounds like you aren't waiting long enough to initiate the flip. Wait until you are at the peak of your jump before you throw the flip. It's kind of opposite on a trampoline as it is on a wakeboard. You have to be solidly in the air before you throw your body weight around or you will end up on(or off) the edge of the tramp.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-29-2007, 8:46 PM Reply   
Mark D's comment is right on the money!
Old     (btr1)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-30-2007, 8:35 AM Reply   
Take a look at this video from Brett and Brandon Lee if you want to see some smooth moves on the tramp.

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php/Trampoline-Jumping-January_wakeboarding-photos.html?medid=18095

I know I saw another older video that they had posted before where they did a double back as well as put text in to describe the tricks they were doing but I can't seem to find it any more...
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-30-2007, 7:44 PM Reply   
http://www.twistnu.com/

Upload
Upload
Old     (justinp)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-30-2007, 8:18 PM Reply   
tramp sesh in my back yard

http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j272/justinphoto123/?action=view&current=tramp.flv
Old     (gurubrdz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-31-2007, 3:48 PM Reply   
Justin, all looks good, only what happpens when you have the actual swing weight and feel of a wakeboard on your feet when you hit the water? The Tramp is great for general "air awareness" . but once you hit a real wake and have that extra swing weight to deal with , then what?.. The Tramp can be turned into an actual training ground by using the GURU Trampboard,... Same swing weight, Designed to flex and totally simulate the feel of a wakeboard (safely), on the Tramp as it is on water. For example, go to Broadbandsports.com and plug in GURU and see what I'm talking about, side by side , it's one and the same. Looks like you have the Tramp to properly excell at it, now get the board to take you to the next level!

GURUTRAMPBORADS.COM....stay ahead of the rest!
Old     (hyule)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-01-2007, 8:46 AM Reply   
True that Mark. But when that trampboard costs as much as a wakeboard, I'll take the one that rides on the water.
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-01-2007, 1:59 PM Reply   
i like doing raleys.. so much fun!

i can't do an sbend though... they seem impossible
Old    murrayair            11-02-2007, 10:56 PM Reply   
I would get a guru board if they didn't cost so darn much. I can't justify spending $300 for something I can (and did) approximate quite well with less than $30 in supplies and an hour's work.
Old     (gurubrdz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-03-2007, 4:15 PM Reply   
Mark, more power to ya!...Everyone has been trying to do the same thing you must have done on the Tramp since the early 80's.(I know I was) The skurfer was "Pre-aproximated" in 1966 by a surfboard manufacturer Callled Foam, Foam Co. out of Costa Mesa Cali. And was called a "Wakeboard". Long before our time.
None of this is new, and I could make a Semi-usefull Trampboard ( as maybe you have) or cut Down an old Surfboard and ride that as a "wakeboard" and hope for progress....The "cost" you speak of comes from design, progress and research, which includes bindings and a board that specifically re-creates the feel of a wakeboard on the tramp soo much, that when you take that same trick to the water, it feels identical, therefore cutting your learning curve of a new trick in half. In your own words , you "approximated" the feeling for fraction of that cost. (Which is inacurate, cost wise)..
As Einstein once put it well , "appproximation" does not make realization.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-03-2007, 4:59 PM Reply   
Aren't the tramp boards only $200? Still a lot of money, but they look really effective.
Old     (gurubrdz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-03-2007, 5:46 PM Reply   
Leo, always check the Website for latest pricing, and definitly contact Tim Roberts for the Latest info. ARE THEY EFFECTIVE? Ask the team riders listed on the site, or just watch the "Media" clips.....or go to "Broadband sports.com" and enter GURU for Water/Tramp side by side comparisons..then draw your own conclusions.....}
Old     (xtrmst)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-03-2007, 6:25 PM Reply   
I bought a guru board and it's awesome. The feel is almost identical to a wakeboard. The flexibility of the board is what I like the most. When you smash a trick the board just bends instead oF braking your ankle. $200 yes ,but a broke ankle???
Also when I ordered my board it was slow to ship and when Mike and Tim heard about the problem they quickly resolved it. A GIANT THANKS TO BOTH OF THEM.
Old     (goatroper222000)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-04-2007, 12:02 PM Reply   
Any just suggestions on types or brands of tramps to get? im assuming as big as possible, but is there any difference in brands?
Old     (gurubrdz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-04-2007, 3:08 PM Reply   
Josh, good question. Go to JUMP KING on-line, call a representative and explain what your looking for and your budget, and they will gladly help....Jason, thanks for your positive input, anyone who has actually used a GURU for training says the same...Good luck to everyone in their off-season training!
Old     (dooie)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-05-2007, 11:31 PM Reply   
does a guru board float? have any of you used them behind the boat?
Old    murrayair            11-06-2007, 6:37 PM Reply   
Wouldn't that be what a wakeboard is for?