Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (alcarlaw1)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-01-2014, 5:45 AM Reply   
Reading the thread on the guy with the new Axis, it got me thinking. Who makes their kids wear lifejackets and who leads by example?

I grew up on sailing yachts, wearing a lifejacket on the boat was simply non negotiable. I then moved onto racing dinghies, when racing you must wear a lifejacket and TBH at any other time, you wear one too. Forward wind a few years, we have a 5 year old and 2 year old that we take out on our old Xstar (my dad always poked fun at me for not having a proper boat, i.e. with sails) The boys wear lifejackets all the time, there is always one adult per child on the boat too. I recently bought my wife and I self inflating lifejackets to help set an example and plan to wear them. To me it's common sense, yes it can be a hassle, not cool, etc but I see it as par for the course, if you are on the water you wear a lifejacket.

I windsurf too, and no I don't wear a lifejacket, to a degree hypocritical, but you quite simply you can't wear one. But on a boat, there is nothing stopping you from wearing one.