Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-20-2012, 2:03 PM Reply   
Just saw this last night. What an amazing documentary. Should be required viewing for the Dept of Agriculture, AMA, and FDA, so they can understand the difference between healthy things you put in your body and the crap they promote.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-20-2012, 2:36 PM Reply   
Just looked at the trailer on youtube and it looks awesome. I'll definitly be checking this out.

Old     (jerasu98)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-20-2012, 8:11 PM Reply   
I saw it. My wife got me the same juicer for my birthday back in September. I did a juice fast for 9 days i think. I lost 14 lbs. Problem was i celebrated by eating what i missed. now i juice for breakfast and lunch, then a decent dinner and stopped eating out. This time the weight is staying off. I am a believer in the juicing now that i am doing it. Surprised how energized I feel with all day with just the juice.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-21-2012, 7:19 AM Reply   
I've had an Omega Masticating Juicer for a while and have used it to juice carrots that I mix with orange juice. But I stopped by the produce market on the way home last night and got kale, celery, etc... and juiced it up. I don't intend to fast because my weight is fine, but will add this to the diet mix. My wife is already on a organic raw food diet thing that I eat for dinner a lot. But it's tough eating that much raw whole vegies. Although she does make some good sauces with the Vitamix.

I don't know if it's a placebo effect, but it does seem like I feel a difference from drinking this stuff already. It's like a mega nutrient infusion!
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-21-2012, 11:58 AM Reply   
I saw the thread title and thought this was about Paula Dean. DOH.
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-23-2012, 8:52 AM Reply   
My wife and I just watched this last week, very eye opening. We are both fairly fit but are going to try and juice 1 day a week and cut down on the meat protein a bit.

If you haven't seen Food Inc that should be your next must watch. You'll really want to avoid meat after that!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-23-2012, 8:56 AM Reply   
Avoiding meat is the worst thing you can do. Just avoid processed meat, and meat with hormones and antibiotics.

Fasting on a sugar diet can't be good for you either.
Old     (bcoppinger)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-23-2012, 9:11 AM Reply   
Where might one watch this documentary?
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-23-2012, 9:16 AM Reply   
I saw this awhile ago and it really got us to thinking. As usual, I dug into YouTube and other locations, even their website (lots of support I might add) and procrastinated my way out of it. Couldn't decide which juicer to get and then decided that if I couldn't eat right (going through a lot right now) on regular food, how could stick to a juice plan? My problem is an all or nothing thought process. In reality, I think juicing is good, but it should not be the only way nutrition is delivered. To be honest, I wonder how a body would react always drinking meals and then eating solids.

There's ton of good movies on NetFlix that surround our society. I just watched one about eating from dumpsters. (Dive!: Living Off America's Waste) It was amazing to see the wasted, high quality food that is just thrown away. There were some pretty surprising facts and percentages thrown out there too which makes you question our society, government and our social plans to feed people.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-23-2012, 9:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoppinger View Post
Where might one watch this documentary?
http://www.hulu.com/watch/289122/fat...nd-nearly-dead

Or Netflix
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-23-2012, 9:31 AM Reply   
Jarrod, there are lots of ways to get protein. I've cut way down on my meat consumption, but haven't eliminated it completely. I have a feeling that most people could add a little meat avoidance to their diet.

I just juiced up a half gallon last night. My problem is everyone I have to share it with... LOL
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-23-2012, 11:03 AM Reply   
There are, but not all proteins are created equal. Animal proteins provide nutrients that other sources won't. The fats that animal foods provide alone are vital for healthy cells. The problem isn't meat, it's bad meat, and other processed foods. When you're eating processed foods (the 1/10 of nutrients mentioned in the video), you body isn't getting the nutrients that it needs to function optimally. So it's going to tell you to keep eating.

We were not intended to live on fructose. You may lose weight in the process of starving yourself on juice, but you may cause other damage. For reference, Steve Jobs was a fruitarian, and look how that worked out for him. Kidney and liver problems.

At least select fruits that are low on the glycemic index to avoid massive spikes in your blood sugar levels, and hope that you don't end up with diabetes. Fruit diets are unnatural.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-23-2012, 11:40 AM Reply   
Yeah, but giving up meat or reducing it significantly doesn't mean a fruit diet. I just add enough apple to make it drinkable. I've been a big sugar/fructose eater all my life and only just started within the last year to eliminate sugar and HFCS from my diet. This juicing thing for me is all about the veggies. Here's what I used last night....

- 1 bunch of Kale
- 1 lb of carrots
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 eggplant
- 4 stalks celery
- small thing of ginger (potent stuff)
- 1 whole lemon
- 3 apples
- 1/2 bunch of arugula
- 1/2 head of broccoli

Jobs had pancreatic cancer. I can imagine that his kidney and liver problems were associated with that. Also I think that when people are very sick that they may do things to the extreme. A guy that my wife met at Whole Foods has a strict vegetarian raw food diet and claims it cured a brain tumor. Who knows.. but you can see that claims go both ways.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-23-2012, 1:03 PM Reply   
I'm with J-rod.

Juicing as a primary source of nutrtion is not healthy IMO. to juice as a weight lose diet is very unhealthy. At a macro level...a calorie is a calorie...eat less than you burn, and you'll lose weight. Raw vegetables are mainly water and very .low calorie. But relying on vegtables alone, a perosn will not meet their calorie requirements at the micro level.

Adding juice as a supplement to a well balnced diet is a great idea...but to live off of it is not a healthy long term option..especially for anyone who engages in any type of physical activity.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-23-2012, 1:24 PM Reply   
I don't believe for a minute that you can't create a healthy meatless diet.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-23-2012, 5:12 PM Reply   
Just throw a steak in the juicer too. Yum. I love meat.
Old     (BTV)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-23-2012, 6:03 PM Reply   
If you like meat and want a healthy diet check out the Primal Blueprint. Mark Sisson has a great website about the Paleo lifestyle. http://marksdailyapple.com
Old     (jerasu98)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-23-2012, 7:03 PM Reply   
Another good netflix food documentary in line with fat, sick, and nearly dead is Forks over Knives. I am not a doctor but the movie points out some interesting facts. I also know there agendas behind these documentaries. But still a good flick.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-24-2012, 5:17 PM Reply   
The only macronutrients we have to have are proteins and fats, if you want to supplement them with juicing thats great but it alone will not sustain a healthy lifestyle. I blend. I like that you get all the nutrients (fiber included) from the plant/fruit source and I always add two or three scoops of WPI as well as ground flax and or ground almond butter. What you want is a sustainable diet (<--read all things you consume) not a quick fix to lose some weight/get healthy.