Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 18, 2008

Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-14-2008, 8:29 AM Reply   
Hey all,
I'm thinking that I'm going to try and hit as many tourney's that I can this year, and wondering just how many peeps are usually competing in this class and what is being thrown down.

And just so you know, I talking specifically Wake Games, Nationals, etc. We all know what happened when I entered Masters at Canyon Lake.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-14-2008, 8:56 AM Reply   
Brandon, you got old!

Hahhahhaah Just kidding bro. I will be right there with you in 2 years......

Bring the Rain in the Division!
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       01-14-2008, 9:23 AM Reply   
Same for Vetran's--how many competitors? What tricks/how many per pass?
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-14-2008, 9:26 AM Reply   
^^^^ Same question. If it works out, have to make that trip with ya, Chuck!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-14-2008, 3:09 PM Reply   
brandon, yeah, i heard what happened at canyon lake. either way, don't be a sandbagger. ride against people of the same level, not age group.

you too, chuck!

don't mind me...i just want a chance at these tourneys.
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-14-2008, 4:21 PM Reply   
I really dont remember all the tricks typically thrown in that division, but I do know that Billy Garcia is always in the top 3. I'm sure if you can find out what Billy's runs were and do something similar, you could do really well. I do know that Billy got 2nd at Worlds in masters only because he messed up and fell on a basic 360 nose grab.

Thanks,

Ken Land
Bullet Lines
www.bulletlines.com
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-14-2008, 5:42 PM Reply   
Joe,
At local contests I ride with ability. However at the big tourney's (Wake Games, National, etc), is right where I should be based on age and ability.

Thanks for the info Ken. I tryed searching but didn't find anything.
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-14-2008, 6:43 PM Reply   
On the homepage of Billy's wakeboard school (bottom of page) is a video of one of his runs at 2007 Worlds. However, I'm not sure if its a video of trials or finals.

Billy's website www.freeridewake.com

IMO... If you are really serious about competing and winning in the Master's division, I would fly into Austin, and take Billy up on some lessons. He has been competing a long time, and I'm sure it would really help you get a good run down and clean. He is also a really good person. He would probably help critique your runs and point out what others are doing wrong during the events where you are both at.

BTW... Billy is riding with a Bullet Lines' leather grip handle in the video.

Thanks,

Ken Land
Bullet Lines
www.bulletlines.com

(Message edited by bulletlines on January 14, 2008)
Old     (mayor_h)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-14-2008, 6:45 PM Reply   
Master's usually has about ten guys,at least at nationals and at world's this year.from what i remember the guy that won world's master's had a pretty bad a** run including a giant blind judge that he stomped. JB is always in the hunt. don't remebr seeing to many mobes per say,other than occasional whirly and mabe a cromobe but a good variety of spins flips and rolls,n raley's , some grabbed some not, Billy always has giant hoochies, and is consistent. Some real good riders in that class for sure, but not everyone can ride their best under contest pressure, or less than ideal conditions.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-14-2008, 8:17 PM Reply   
I don't think that I need to fly anywhere for lessons. I watched that video, and I think that I might make some ripples. I'll definately fit in with the rest of the guys in the class. Should be a lot of fun.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-14-2008, 8:20 PM Reply   
Brandon, I think I saw a few mobes in your division at WG & Nationals last year. Ive seen you ride and your right in there for sure. Good luck and well see you at WG.
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-14-2008, 8:30 PM Reply   
I don't care how many guys are in it or what they are doing. You and Chuck better represent. Both of you would be really competitive, and if not, at least you get to come hang out for the weekend!
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-14-2008, 9:23 PM Reply   
Travis, we're planning on heading out your way before too long here. Looking forward to hangin with some good friends while we are out there.

Make sure to say hi the rest of the boys out there.
Old     (apeljax000)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-14-2008, 9:58 PM Reply   
Chuck

My friend Matt Vermillion is a several time national champ and one time world champ in the veteran division. He is really consistent with all of his 3's, and rolls. He pretty much can hit all of his tricks switch as well. I am pretty sure his hardest trick in his last national championship run was a tantrum to blind. He usually sticks it in competition. Hope that helps

-Chris
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-14-2008, 10:00 PM Reply   
Brandon after watching that video both you and Chuck had better compete. See you at WG.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-14-2008, 10:24 PM Reply   
Tricks are for kids. Masters should ride for style.
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-15-2008, 8:58 AM Reply   
BBR,

I'm sorry, I've never seen you ride. I did not mean to insult your skills.

Darren,

You hit the nail on the head. When I watch a masters division comp I expect to see old school style big, tweaked, and clean: like in the Shapiro days.

Thanks,

Ken Land
Bullet Lines
www.bulletlines.com
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-15-2008, 9:38 AM Reply   
Masters... you guys are babies...
Well babies that rip...
I am hoping for a Super Vets Division this year at Nationals. A 50 + division. I am 15 years older than the young Veterans at 40. That is too big of a spread - Nationals and Worlds are a lot of fun. If we get enough riders they will create a division for us old guys.
Aloha - Joe
Old     (mayor_h)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-15-2008, 2:08 PM Reply   
Got an email from World sports today, saw the new ladies "masters" division, but didn't see a new "super vet" division.
Old     (liquidmalibu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-15-2008, 3:26 PM Reply   
I dont know if he will compete at the WWA's but Travis Osbourne who won the IWSF Veteran Worlds is a massive ripper.
He does 313's, 7's, Mobes etc!
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-15-2008, 4:06 PM Reply   
Sounds like Travis O. would be competitive in any age division, but damn that is quite a bag for someone who pretty much had to start this sport after he was 30.
Old     (liquidmalibu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-15-2008, 4:11 PM Reply   
I don't know what his competition run is like, but yeah that's what he has...
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-16-2008, 4:08 PM Reply   
I'm thinking of riding at nationals this year just cause I'm only 45 minutes away from it. I will do it mainly for fun. I don't expect to win but hope not to finish last either. Heres what I would probably have in my run
backroll
halfcab roll
tantrum
roll2revert
hs 3
ts 5
ts backroll
ts backroll2revert
crow
ts frontroll

pretty much just basic inverts and spins but I can usually stand them all up. Don't have raleys but might try to learn before then. Maybe a couple of other things if I can dial them in.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-16-2008, 4:26 PM Reply   
Ken,
No worries man, I'm not insulted at all.