Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Umatilla_Matt)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-30-2010, 7:25 PM Reply   
I took my new CWB Faction 144 board out today for the first time. I was previously on a Liquid Force Stance 138. The first thing I noticed was how the fins on the Faction really held the board in the water. I'm used to being on the Stance without any fins. I liked how it was so greasy and I could break the board loose almost effortlessly. But with the Faction, I have to fight the fins constantly. The landings were easier and more stable, but I felt like the fins kept slowing me down, especially when I was edging. Maybe its not as fast because its a 144 and I'm used to a 138? I feel like it was the fins making the board feel more bulky though.

So, I'm thinking maybe I can get smaller fins or is it just me? The Stance was the first wakeboard I ever had, so I don't have a lot of experience. I started getting used to the fins on the Faction by the end of the day, but I still felt like I wasn't getting the speed I like. I'm confused because I've seen other posts on here that say the Faction is a really fast board.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-30-2010, 7:36 PM Reply   
the extra board length will also make it track better. ie less of a lose feeling.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-31-2010, 7:37 AM Reply   
Yeah just get smaller fins. I have ridden mine with both fins and really like either. If the water is a bit rough I'll through in the longer ones, and if it's butter go with the smaller fins.

You may also just need to get used to the board. It is actually pretty loose, even with the bigger fins, but you have only been on one other board. The Faction is a great board, and I absolutely love mine.

Good luck.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-31-2010, 8:06 AM Reply   
Same here. I went from old hyperlite Belmont with no fins (flat bottom / very greasy) to CWB Transcend. Even with the removable fins out the boards molded in features are super super grippy. Trying to convince myself but not sure I like it.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-31-2010, 8:08 AM Reply   
Oh yeah... Try just riding it with the fins out?
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-31-2010, 9:06 AM Reply   
I don't believe the fins should slow you down edging.

Anyways, chuck the fins if you don't like them.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-31-2010, 6:42 PM Reply   
A bigger board should feel faster because it floats you higher in the water (unless the board's features negate this, which they probably dont). Its not hard to swap out/toss fins, try a few different setups to see what works. My buddy went from riding no fins on his old board to bigger fins on his new board to get the same feel, its all preference and different board shapes.
Old     (Umatilla_Matt)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-31-2010, 8:48 PM Reply   
I think I might try to find some smaller fins. Maybe some 1/2 inch fins. I thought about taking them off and riding without fins but the bottom of the board is pretty flat and there are no molded fins, so I thought it might be too greasy. I'm starting to get used to it the way it is. It still feels like the board takes forever to make the turn from cutting out to charging the wake, etc. I do like the way the fins help me stick the landings.