Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jonathanlanda)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-22-2014, 6:40 PM Reply   
So today I was trying to take my backrolls as high as I could. Upon looking at the video I felt like If I threw it a tad bit harder and got a good grab on it that I can do the double roll off the wake. I know its ambitious and double rolls are a really hard trick but I think I could do them. So I am asking the wakeworld community what do you guys think? Is the double feasible?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeNre...ature=youtu.be
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-22-2014, 6:41 PM Reply   
Try it
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-22-2014, 6:55 PM Reply   
You can try but I personally wouldn't . I wouldn't touch it and that and I take that trick a similar height and distance with a lot of control

Also take it easy with that trick in the flats, my left ACL would like to make that PSA...
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-22-2014, 7:10 PM Reply   
can you land it revert?
Old     (AustinMHayward)      Join Date: Jun 2013       01-22-2014, 7:12 PM Reply   
Try it off the double and video it
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       01-22-2014, 7:18 PM Reply   
Try it, get it on video and post it on here! Whether you land it or eat it really hard, it'll probably make me smile
Old     (jonathanlanda)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-22-2014, 7:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttime41 View Post
Try it, get it on video and post it on here! Whether you land it or eat it really hard, it'll probably make me smile
haha im sure it will! I will probably try on friday!
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-22-2014, 8:09 PM Reply   
It's doable. Seen guys get close. But get really worked in the process. A LOT. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-23-2014, 7:13 AM Reply   
Yes.

You need to go for it and post the video. You will be a champion or get crushed, either way, you'll be a hero.
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-23-2014, 9:44 AM Reply   
You look out of control and you probably don't have enough time. Learn that backroll grabbed wake to wake and I'd assume you'll be in a lot better position to attempt.
Old     (jonathanlanda)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-23-2014, 10:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakesk8er2 View Post
You look out of control and you probably don't have enough time. Learn that backroll grabbed wake to wake and I'd assume you'll be in a lot better position to attempt.
I actually do have them grabbed wake to wake, I was trying to do them as big as I can. When I do them normally at a reasonable height they look more in control and if you watch the video of Trevor hansens wake to wake double it was smaller than this...
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-23-2014, 10:23 AM Reply   
I still vote go for it lol. Gonna want to grab it all the way through though.

Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-23-2014, 12:37 PM Reply   
Everyone has their opinions, but the fact is if you try it and land it, you are the man, and if you try and fail and post the video you are still the man. If you don't try it, than your just like the rest of us.
Old     (ATB0713)      Join Date: Oct 2013 Location: Massachusetts       01-23-2014, 12:47 PM Reply   
Charge it brotha!!
Old     (bschall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-23-2014, 8:14 PM Reply   
vid or it didnt happen
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-24-2014, 3:38 AM Reply   
I watched the video. When you watch a video of one of the pro's doing a double roll they have a larger wake, Less approach speed and a little more height. The slower approach speed will help with line tension and give you more controlled rotation. The larger wake will help you get more height with less effort. The extra height will help you slow down your rotation so it's easier to land the trick. Have you tried this trick on a trampoline?
Old     (ATB0713)      Join Date: Oct 2013 Location: Massachusetts       01-24-2014, 5:05 AM Reply   
its Friday mang! lets see this double action!!!

i'm up in Massachusetts where the lake is frozen, so snowboarding is my closest simulation to wakeboarding
Old     (rkinsell)      Join Date: May 2005       01-24-2014, 6:48 AM Reply   
don't listen to Robert, just cut harder and make sure someone is filming
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-24-2014, 7:59 AM Reply   
Nothing works unless you try!
Old     (michaelvincz)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-24-2014, 11:25 AM Reply   
You guys really wanna see this kid get smoked don't you...? Ha cant lie I would watch and laugh too, but in my opinion you don't appear to have enough Height, big enough weight, or enough control to maintain and continue onto the second flip... I suggest the double up option and attempt. Much Greater chance of it.... Good luck and Make sure that camera is rolling!!!
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-24-2014, 6:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelvincz View Post
You guys really wanna see this kid get smoked don't you...? Ha cant lie I would watch and laugh too, but in my opinion you don't appear to have enough Height, big enough weight, or enough control to maintain and continue onto the second flip... I suggest the double up option and attempt. Much Greater chance of it.... Good luck and Make sure that camera is rolling!!!
Don't listen to any of this. Go for it! Prove the doubters wrong!

Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-25-2014, 5:24 AM Reply   
wake looks big. what kind of boat is that
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-25-2014, 5:26 AM Reply   
and definitely don't try it wake to wake, learn it off the double up first and make sure you have people filming from multiple angles so we can really analyze

Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-25-2014, 5:47 AM Reply   
You guys would all be fun on the boat.....

"Wooo sweet first heel side jump phil! Go for the raley now! You can do it!"
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-25-2014, 9:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
You guys would all be fun on the boat.....

"Wooo sweet first heel side jump phil! Go for the raley now! You can do it!"

Exactly how my buddy did. Hit his first bankroll and raley the same day he went wake to wake.

Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-25-2014, 9:33 AM Reply   
Backroll*

Old     (bschall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-25-2014, 7:01 PM Reply   
i have a buddy that can hardly clear the wake but has backrolls and raleys to the flats on lock.. i dont get it
Old     (PureWakesurfing1)      Join Date: Sep 2012       01-25-2014, 7:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn_rider View Post
Exactly how my buddy did. Hit his first bankroll and raley the same day he went wake to wake.
I have a buddy like that. Stuck a 3 on his first day w2w and then a backroll the second day we had him on the boat. I wish I could just throw down. I tend to overthink the process too much!
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-25-2014, 8:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bschall View Post
i have a buddy that can hardly clear the wake but has backrolls and raleys to the flats on lock.. i dont get it
I see kids out on the lake doing this, the only thing I can think is that they only learned them to impress the girls and don't care about wakeboarding really. Otherwise why chuck flips before you can TS jump?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-25-2014, 8:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
I see kids out on the lake doing this, the only thing I can think is that they only learned them to impress the girls and don't care about wakeboarding really. Otherwise why chuck flips before you can TS jump?
Or maybe I just suck and I'm not doing it the right way?
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-26-2014, 4:21 AM Reply   
Quote:

Or maybe we were 100% new to the sport and didn't read the handbook that says you have to go ts w2w before you flip...exactly what's wrong with wakeboarding. Who cares if someone flips before they go w2w ts? You probably think someone should have to go w2w switch ts before inverts huh.

Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-26-2014, 5:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn_rider View Post
Or maybe we were 100% new to the sport and didn't read the handbook that says you have to go ts w2w before you flip...exactly what's wrong with wakeboarding. Who cares if someone flips before they go w2w ts? You probably think someone should have to go w2w switch ts before inverts huh.

Not sure if you're being serious here...

If you want to progress and have an easier time then yes, learn all your fundamentals first, don't go straight for the flip on your first day, I have a friend who still struggles to this day after 3/4 years of riding hard to go TS w2w , he flips, but now his progression is flat because he didn't learn his fundamentals. Your progression gets better exponentially as you learn and you don't have to undo any bad habits.

God I hate it when I take someone who talks up their game only to watch about 5 HS jumps with backrolls and tantrums...." Yea dude I can double backrolls, I got those on lock" gets out behind boat, only HS jumps ( not referring to the OP just what the bro crowd tends to say when you mention you wakeboard)
Old     (holdsworth)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-27-2014, 7:40 AM Reply   
Riding for over 17 years, I'm a firm believer in progression, but mainly in order to avoid injury. A hucker is much more injury prone than a person who develops the skill to be able to do new tricks (as opposed to "attempting" (hucking) a new trick, big difference), as well as develop the muscles in the arms/legs/back to help avoid injury. One of my best "tricks" is knowing how to fall, and understanding how I'll fall on each trick that I do so that I can prevent anything really bad from happening. Of course, the bad ones happen here and there, but most of the time I can avoid something painful that might put me out for a couple sets. Gotta look at it from the perspective of skill to prevent injury, not just people complaining about heelside heroes.
Old     (michaelvincz)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-30-2014, 8:45 AM Reply   
tn_rider

Funny you bring up "Exactly Whats wrong with wakeboarding" like you know... that mindset and train of though is exactly whats wrong with our sport.... people like you guys that don't learn the right ways and wrong ways about learning and progression.... Ive been riding competitively for over 15 years, I learned behind a Prostar 190 with no fly high no fat sacks and on a board that was bigger than me.... just because you can get up on a wakeboard doesn't mean you go right into trying flips, unless you don't give a **** about the sport or your progression as a rider.

No instructor or coach teaches like that, hey you got up and jumped one wake, time you learn a flip... that is not how it works. its about fundamentals as a few guys have said. And I didn't have anyone coaching me or a rule book when I was 12, but I had common sense, And I had a willingness to learn the right way and I studies magazines and watched videos... So don't sit here and act like you didn't have and people don't have the tools available to utilize and learn the proper way. You don't hop off the chair lift and go down a black diamond your first time snowboarding, so why do it behind the boat?

As for who cares if you can or can't go w2w before you flip, how about like 95% of real riders. The ones who take pride in their ride, and don't want to look like a wanna be, who can only do things from one side of the boat.... Bet you guys look really cool and impressive with your back rolls and tantrums and raleys but cant clear the wake toeside... Makes you look like a boat full of tools. And don't take offense anyone, I know people who ride the same and I ride the A$$es about it and push them to learn properly, not just because its the RIGHT way to learn but because I want to see people get better and PROGRESS. Not plautue with two tricks or be a one sided rider who can bust a flip one way and have to cross the wake on the water, I mean if you wanna ride like that, go for it, but you will never have the respect of real riders. There's my opinion, you guys don't like it fine by me, I won't lose any sleep over it.

Cheers everyone who understands progression and the real way to ride!
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-30-2014, 9:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelvincz View Post
tn_rider

Funny you bring up "Exactly Whats wrong with wakeboarding" like you know... that mindset and train of though is exactly whats wrong with our sport.... people like you guys that don't learn the right ways and wrong ways about learning and progression.... Ive been riding competitively for over 15 years, I learned behind a Prostar 190 with no fly high no fat sacks and on a board that was bigger than me.... just because you can get up on a wakeboard doesn't mean you go right into trying flips, unless you don't give a **** about the sport or your progression as a rider.

No instructor or coach teaches like that, hey you got up and jumped one wake, time you learn a flip... that is not how it works. its about fundamentals as a few guys have said. And I didn't have anyone coaching me or a rule book when I was 12, but I had common sense, And I had a willingness to learn the right way and I studies magazines and watched videos... So don't sit here and act like you didn't have and people don't have the tools available to utilize and learn the proper way. You don't hop off the chair lift and go down a black diamond your first time snowboarding, so why do it behind the boat?

As for who cares if you can or can't go w2w before you flip, how about like 95% of real riders. The ones who take pride in their ride, and don't want to look like a wanna be, who can only do things from one side of the boat.... Bet you guys look really cool and impressive with your back rolls and tantrums and raleys but cant clear the wake toeside... Makes you look like a boat full of tools. And don't take offense anyone, I know people who ride the same and I ride the A$$es about it and push them to learn properly, not just because its the RIGHT way to learn but because I want to see people get better and PROGRESS. Not plautue with two tricks or be a one sided rider who can bust a flip one way and have to cross the wake on the water, I mean if you wanna ride like that, go for it, but you will never have the respect of real riders. There's my opinion, you guys don't like it fine by me, I won't lose any sleep over it.

Cheers everyone who understands progression and the real way to ride!

Cool story bro. You started out ahead of me with your pro star 190. I was that guy who got a pull behind whatever it was. Even if it were laps in a pond behind a jet ski. Do I care what you think about how I ride or look at the sport? F*** no. When myself, as well as my friends go wakeboard we ride to have FUN. Because wakeboarding is FUN to us. I'd hate to ride with you and honestly after your rant about how I should ride my wakeboard that I bought with my hard earned money wouldn't take a free set behind a new g23 or x star even though I've never had the opportunity. I'd pass. Who wants to ride with someone criticizing what they do 24/7. ANYONE can come ride with me ANYTIME. I don't care if you do 1000 heel side jumps. As long as you had FUN that's all that matters to me.

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-30-2014, 10:11 AM Reply   
In my opinion, this attitude is what's wrong with our sport, and guys like you in every other board sport. Snobs and snooty riders that forget that people get into wakeboarding to have fun. You're in the very low percentile of people in our sport that care about about how it looks, proper technique, progression, and satisfying the critics of founding board sports that produced wakeboarding.

I'm sort of like you. I care how things look. I try to follow a proper path of progression and be a good ambassador to wakeboarding. I do what I can to do tricks right, and to add style to my riding. But I also don't care if others don't. If you want to be a clown and huck yourself the first day you get up, go for the flip, grab roastbeef and look silly, then go ahead. I won't treat you any differently or tell you that you're doing it wrong. And I definitely won't tell you that you're bad for our sport.

what's wrong with our sport?

Boats are too expensive.
So is gas.
People are learning on huge wakes, long lines, and fast speeds
And people forgot that it's about having fun, unless you're doing it for a living.
Old     (richmondrider)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-30-2014, 10:18 AM Reply   
I grab roastbeef all day long!
Old     (xclay89x)      Join Date: Feb 2009       01-30-2014, 11:48 AM Reply   
Back to what really matters….Did the poster try the double? If so is there video!
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       01-30-2014, 12:16 PM Reply   
Yup, bring on that video!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-30-2014, 1:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
In my opinion, this attitude is what's wrong with our sport, and guys like you in every other board sport. Snobs and snooty riders that forget that people get into wakeboarding to have fun. You're in the very low percentile of people in our sport that care about about how it looks, proper technique, progression, and satisfying the critics of founding board sports that produced wakeboarding.

I'm sort of like you. I care how things look. I try to follow a proper path of progression and be a good ambassador to wakeboarding. I do what I can to do tricks right, and to add style to my riding. But I also don't care if others don't. If you want to be a clown and huck yourself the first day you get up, go for the flip, grab roastbeef and look silly, then go ahead. I won't treat you any differently or tell you that you're doing it wrong. And I definitely won't tell you that you're bad for our sport.

Boats are too expensive.
So is gas.
And people forgot that it's about having fun, unless you're doing it for a living.

MAN I AM GIVING YOU A HIGH FIVE RIGHT NOW all the way from Minnesota!!! Well said! Dont even get me started on the boat expense. I almost started a thread a few weeks back going off on current boat prices, but a little bird told me to bite my tongue....
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-31-2014, 6:50 AM Reply   
looking at the video id say you are not ready , height is average but more of the problem is you need to work on going bigger with two hands on the handle before you start trying dbls.. letting go with back hand is ok for singles but a bad habit for trying a dbl..

Id say go for it if you believe you can do it but bring it , don't hold back or hesitate, if you can commit then go for it! if not it will make an awesome wipe out vid..)
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-31-2014, 6:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post

Boats are too expensive.
So is gas.

I agree but I have no style and don't care lol
Old     (michaelvincz)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-31-2014, 11:47 AM Reply   
Okay so Maybe I came off as a Di(k , wasn't trying to say don't have fun, of coarse its about fun. That is exactly why we all ride, I was simply saying that one should try to learn progressively, not just go for flips because it makes you cool or whatever. Have fun throw a flip or two but learn the basics, it will make your progression better, easier and safer. I wasn't trying to bash any ones balls so like I said don't take offense, but there are good ways bad ways to learn to ride. pick progression and you will get better all around. We all ride to have fun and get better, to progress ... going straight for flips isn't going to get you very far, and can get you seriously hurt.

Bottom line I wasn't trying to offend anyone or get anyone panties in a bunch, I love wakeboarding and like helping , coaching and giving tips to people to see them land that trick they have been wanting to learn or trying. Not to see someone get hurt for trying something they probably shouldn't be trying. Any to anyone who knows me, knows well enough I'm not a snob or snooty and I don't give a hoot if people don't have style or proper technique, it is about FUN and learning. Yes crashing and crashing hard too. That is a part of learning. I'm not saying you need to have a check list of tricks before you can flip or do this or that, but you should have the basics down and a solid foundation before you go throwing double flips. I watched the kids video and a couple others he had before I made any statement or post. The kid was and is not ready for double flips, he wants to try it cool, video tape I will watch too, and surely laugh my a$$ of when he gets worked and nowhere near a double just like everyone else.... Was merely a recommendation and suggestion that I wouldn't even be considering a double flip at that skill level .

And I didn't and don't own a boat buddy, I mowed lawns and shoveled snow to pay for boat gas and buy my first O'Brien Shredder and every board after that. I bummed rides from anyone and anything that could pull me. So don't go thinking Ive got it made and didn't bust my a$$ to get to where I am today.
Old     (ATB0713)      Join Date: Oct 2013 Location: Massachusetts       02-04-2014, 8:57 AM Reply   
yo, what happened to those double flips bruh?
Old     (machloosy)      Join Date: Mar 2013       02-04-2014, 11:09 AM Reply   
I think Mike is right about learning the basics making you a better rider and it makes it safer for you... But otherwise Mike ya definitely came off like an a$$hole haha, not saying you are. A lot of guys in this sport are in it 100% for the fun. When the boat is stacked with girls in bikini's, that big heelside raley or tantrum feels amazing, and the girls love it. If you aren't looking to compete, then by all means, do exactly what feels and looks fun to you. I know that one of our best days this summer was a saturday Am dawn patrol session. 9 peeps in my 87 supreme just goofing off. Can't beat that in my book. We rode till we pissed off every single person on the river. Then we went and ate breakfast

Now about that double...
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-04-2014, 11:35 AM Reply   
I keep checking this thread for the video.

What in the heck are you people talking about!?
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-05-2014, 5:37 AM Reply   
where is the video?!?!?
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       02-05-2014, 5:52 AM Reply   
My guess, he either never tried it or is still recovering from it...
Old     (michaelvincz)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-05-2014, 1:06 PM Reply   
Haha Thanks, Jeremiah, at least you see both sides of the page. I Know I came off as one, but not my intentions, and I totally feel you the best times are on the beat ass boats like the one I ride behind 98% of the time with your buddies clowning and having fun. No doubt about that. But that wasn't how this thread started you know... it was asking for advice if his roll was big enough(which it wasn't, and his skill isn't there either) no offense to poster. Just giving him what he asked for... so don't know why people got bent out of shape and took one persons opinion so seriously and got offended... They must have only had flips from one side is my guess... And trust me Bro I know all to well how good it feels to Sky out raleys and Hoochies and watch the bikinis start coming off... Gotta love it when hooters girls make a bet If you want those girls to stay on your boat though you better or should have a little more than flips from one side of the wake lol. Cause when someone else rides by and busts 8-10 tricks back to back and they flow like water, those girls aren't going to be on your boat anymore you feel me... and just because I have a competitive background doesn't sway my decision or opinion about being a well rounded rider, you can still have fun and goof off and do what feels right... Hell I cant do $hit switch toeside, I didn't learn early enough now I have a mental block about it... why I ENCOURAGE and ADVISE or RECOMMEND others to learn the basics from the start and not get into hucking stuff or you will end up being able to flip and not do a 360 or a 180 fro that matter... I know i know flips are cooler and people wanna see raleys but it looks weird when you cant do something simple and can flip... all I was trying to say. Have fun throw some flips f^ck off and have fun but lets learn the basics people. Then you will get those flips without 150 crashes and concussions and broken ribs or stitches in your dome... Now to what we all wanna see and why we opened this thread in the first place.... where is this DOUBLE AT?!?! I think Nauti 210 is right... I'd say it probably didn't happen.... If I can come across my old Hi-8 videos I never got off tapes I will show my double attempts from back in 2002... Yeah I said 2002 boys, and if any of you internet haters wanna doubt me, that's cool. I know I not only attempted them but came damn close... INT Double up comp at The Precedent in Indianapolis, Indiana. Pulled by I believe Greg Maloon. And there were plenty of people on hand to witness... so hate fellas hate
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       02-05-2014, 1:15 PM Reply   
^^ This guy wants a cookie or something
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-06-2014, 6:31 AM Reply   
i have no problem with having fun, but don't tell me how great you are for weeks straight for me to pull you to do HS backrolls and tantrums....
Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-06-2014, 11:36 AM Reply   
Personally, I think that if he wants to try a dub, do it. Wakeboarding is about expression and not "the proper way" that is why wakeboarding is so cool is everyone does things in their own way. So more power to you if you want to do a dub, hope all goes well!
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-09-2014, 9:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
i have no problem with having fun, but don't tell me how great you are for weeks straight for me to pull you to do HS backrolls and tantrums....
haha good point LOL

I always downplay my riding because on any given day I may not have my a game and also know there are many many better riders than me and I don't brag or try and keep up, I just ride for me and enjoy that days offerings..

I always lower expectations and hope to exceed them..

so one who over sells their riding prowess is typically the guy who has always been the best on his boat in his clique but hasn't got around enough to realize hes no that good.. I have and know better )
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       02-10-2014, 12:06 AM Reply   
so where is this double then? Vid pls!

Ha ha I say not a chance in hell, but Im in for the crash

As others have said need to be bigger, more in control, wake to wake and 2 hands on. Or just smash it off the DUP