Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 14, 2007

Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-18-2007, 4:35 PM Reply   
Got a job offer in Omaha. Thinking of moving there but need to know about the wake scene first. Are far are the area lakes, how long is the riding season? What are the property costs like to buy on a lake, etc.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-18-2007, 4:49 PM Reply   
Depending on if you care to brave the cold it can be as short as may/june to september or can be as long as from march to november, depends on if you wanna brave it or not. I cannot speak for lake front property prices. Otherwise, there's not a whole lot of public lakes unfortunately. The wake scene isn't the greatest either, but there are some very core riders around, and everybody's always looking for someone to ride with. So, IMO, not that bad of a place once you find your spot on the water. If you do end up mving, let me know, I'm in Lincoln (about an hour drive)
Old     (skeetersky13)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-18-2007, 5:35 PM Reply   
if you drive a little farther from the lincoln/omaha area there are some little public lakes. they arent that good and other boaters on the small lakes dont know the rules and arent considerate for keeping the wake down and cutting in front of other boats. and KCW is only a couple of hours away. like 4 or 5 hours? not sure.
the season is very short. usually down in southeast nebraska its about june to august because the water gets cold fast. but i like it here.
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-18-2007, 7:15 PM Reply   
www.wakeboardnebraska.com Hit Ronnie Up.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-19-2007, 7:20 AM Reply   
going from San Angelo to Omaha....I think the "word" you're looking for is..."holy crap it's cold up here!!!"

good luck...
Old     (paus21)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-19-2007, 7:38 AM Reply   
June to August?! I'm in NE Nebraska and I'll ride April to October. Just get a wetsuit.
Old     (shawnk)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-19-2007, 9:36 AM Reply   
Not going to lie to ya, the season does go by fast, but the scene is pretty nice. You will have to live on a private lake though, or go out with someone who lives on one, to get any decent riding done. There just isn’t that many public water ways in the area. As far as housing and property costs, depending on the lake you decide on, they can be high to down right outrageous! I know the lake I am on, Beaver Lake-just south of Omaha, the property taxes have leveled off in the past few years due to community projects finished. (roads, schools, water plant, etc.) But a house on the water is going to set you back over $250k, and that’s for 1500-2000 sq. feet. Then factor in another $6-6.5 thousand a year for property taxes and lake dues. Hope that helps!?! Hey, if all else fails, hit me up, and you can come out with us and ride anytime.
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-19-2007, 12:48 PM Reply   
keeler what up homie!! haven't heard from you in forever!
Old     (nywake88)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-19-2007, 2:12 PM Reply   
Shawn K - Living on Long Island:
House on bay: 1.5 mil
Taxes: 27 G's
Decent wakeboard boat:40 G +

Ughhh I think I'm moving to Omaha haha good thing I still live in my parents house
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-19-2007, 3:07 PM Reply   
The lakes by Fremont (about 45 minutes) are good, but private like Shawn said.

Those prices are a steal though for lakefront property!

Does anyone ride the river through council bluffs area or is that out of the question?
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-19-2007, 9:16 PM Reply   
Yikes, not sure I'd try the muddy missouri, but that's just me.

I was on Beaver tonight, and will be again tomorrow, great water this time of year, but I hear it gets crazy during the summer months with tubers!
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-20-2007, 4:18 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info guys. I should find out in mid-oct if we are gonna take it. Here in Texas we are pretty lucky to have a 9 month riding season. Really only take off dec/jan/feb. Riding starts in march and ends in early Nov. 250K don't sound too bad for a lake front home. Out here they will run at least twice that.
Old     (skeetersky13)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-23-2007, 8:13 PM Reply   
i definitely wouldnt ride on the missouri after the flood...

i only ride june-august. depends on the year though. because to the end of last april there was still snow on the ground where i live...and the water was still cold. it just depends on the year...especially since we're finally coming out of the drought.
Old     (iluvrussell)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-25-2007, 6:34 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeboardnebraska.com/wallpaper/spotglass_640.htm, check this out its a pick of a huge lake thats all butter in nebraska
Old     (rorowake)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-25-2007, 7:12 AM Reply   
Sorry, but that's not in Nebraska... That's Lake Mary Jane in Orlando...
Old     (shawnk)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-25-2007, 7:13 AM Reply   
James....Hate to bust your bubble, but that pic was taken off of Darin's dock.

But this is Nebraska.... http://www.wakeboardnebraska.com/wallpaper/roro800.htm
Old     (shawnk)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-25-2007, 7:15 AM Reply   
Beat me to it!!!! What's up Ronnie?
Old     (rorowake)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-25-2007, 8:23 AM Reply   
Whats up Shawn... boat got turned in yesterday... need to come out and ride w./ you guys- keep me posted...
Old     (shawnk)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-25-2007, 8:34 AM Reply   
Right on, just put mine up for sale yesterday. Should be heading down to the Beaver Thursday night, if you want to come down. Call me.
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-25-2007, 9:32 AM Reply   
whats up dudes, haven't seen you guys in forever..keeler you sellin the x-2!?
Old     (iluvrussell)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-25-2007, 10:52 AM Reply   
ok my bad, just saw it on the WN website. But ronnie i love updog!
Old     (shawnk)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-25-2007, 11:56 AM Reply   
Jake, the X-2 is for sale.