Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       06-17-2011, 7:31 AM Reply   
So I was having a great evening on the lake last night. Easily my best sets of the season. After I was done my buddy keeps staring at my board in the rack and finally asks me if my last hit felt really big. I tell him it felt pretty good. He laughs and goes I hope so because you snapped your board. Pretty big break right by the back binding.

Anyways I now have to get a new board. The one I broke was a 2010 Ronix One 146. It is under warranty and my local shop will give me full store credit towards any board they carry. So I am really just hoping to get another One in 146. However if they don't have that I am open to some suggestions. I really like the way the One rides so I would like to try and get something similar. I am a bigger guy 6ft 220lbs so I want a bigger board. My local shop carries Ronix, Hyperlite, Liquid Force, and Byerly. I am not opposed to switching brands as my crew has broken a ton of Ronix boards between last season and this one. I would say I am an intermediate rider really trying to step it up this year. So any suggestions on what I should take a look at? They will let me take any board for the weekend and demo it. Thanks!
Old     (Riteride)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-17-2011, 8:31 AM Reply   
Look at the Obrien Decade..
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-17-2011, 8:59 AM Reply   
I am a bug guy (6-3 300 Lbs) and liked the one, until I got on the Marek. The Marek is faster with a better landing for me. Because of my weight - boards often do different things than what was designed and for me that meant the One was a hair slower than I like. I also break far fewer Marek's that any board I have ever rode, and that is saying alot as I have broke way over a hundred boards. Of course it's demo, demo, demo, but I think the Marek is a nice step up from the One. Good luck.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       06-17-2011, 9:00 AM Reply   
The only problem with that is my local shop doesn't carry Obrien. Since I will have the value of the Ronix in store credit I would like to grab something from the brands they carry. Ronix, Hyperlite, Liquid Force, and Byerly.

Just saw your reply Buffalow. The Marek is on the list to check out now.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-17-2011, 9:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalow View Post
...I have broke way over a hundred boards.
Do the board manufacturers run for cover when they see you coming?
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-17-2011, 9:11 AM Reply   
The marek has a ton of orange on it, that should make you happy
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       06-17-2011, 9:48 AM Reply   
Lol thanks Chris. So I am borrowing my buddies Marek for the weekend and the shop told me they are pretty sure they have a 146 ATR One in stock. Going to go grab them both in a bit. I am still open to some other suggestions as well if you guys have them.
Old     (bobbysky)      Join Date: Aug 2010       06-17-2011, 10:34 AM Reply   
are you rocking ronix bindings on that one board? I broke 4 boards last year, and I've boiled it down to the ronix bindings. 2 ronix boards and 2 hyperlite boards, all in the exact same spot as your describing. I think they create a small pressure point on the boards. I'm pretty sure that hyperlite has stopped warranting boards that use ronix bindings.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-17-2011, 11:34 AM Reply   
"The only problem with that is my local shop doesn't carry Obrien"

I can't think of one shop that does! :-)
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       06-17-2011, 11:53 AM Reply   
Yes I am riding Ronix bindings and now that I think of it so is everyone in my crew that has broken a board. I didn't even think about the bindings causing it. I will upload a pic of where the board broke when I get home from work. It is basically right in front of the rear binding.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-17-2011, 3:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
"The only problem with that is my local shop doesn't carry Obrien"

I can't think of one shop that does! :-)
Come hang out in Ontario.
I'd love to hear some reviews on what you think of the boards as I'm going to be in the market soon. Also, are you on Sierrasnowboards, or I guess Trusnow now?
Old     (Moose99)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-17-2011, 3:26 PM Reply   
Another vote for the Marek, I'm 6'3'', 235. Works great for me, although I'm not using the board near to it's potential. I don't think I'd ever go big enough to break a board.
Old     (Quinten1993)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-21-2011, 2:20 AM Reply   
I have the ronix one atr 2011 in 138, and i like it.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-21-2011, 4:51 AM Reply   
If you have problems breaking boards, try to find a Lyman Grind....It's double glassed, and has the grind base. I too break A LOT of boards, already broken two this year, and have ridden about 50% of what I normally do....stupid weather. I've ridden all different brands, and so far the Lyman Grind holds up best (I'm sure it will break now that I've said this).
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-21-2011, 5:22 AM Reply   
I've broke everything I've ever been on - but the ones that have taken the longest have been my slingshot recoils (s) - my 09 is still alive (but I've only ridden like 3 times in the last two years).

I would give one a whirl if you get a chance, but wouldn't advise if you can't demo - flex isn't for everyone
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-21-2011, 6:10 AM Reply   
Bruizza If you get a chance maybe try the Ronix bill I love that board great pop off the wake and super smooth
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-21-2011, 6:23 AM Reply   
Wait on the new Lyman from SS. Out next month!
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       06-21-2011, 7:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminp View Post
Come hang out in Ontario.
I'd love to hear some reviews on what you think of the boards as I'm going to be in the market soon. Also, are you on Sierrasnowboards, or I guess Trusnow now?
Yeah that is me on TS. I actually haven't been over there much since the new management took over. They ruined that site IMO.

I ended up with the One ATR 146. My buddy at the shop suggested I just keep riding Ronix boards as long as they keep warrantying them. However I am contemplating a switch to Hyperlite if this ATR edition breaks.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-21-2011, 8:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampawake View Post
Wait on the new Lyman from SS. Out next month!
Sadly the owner of our local shop won't pick up slingshot. That means I will be buying my next board somewhere other than my local shop, which sucks.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-21-2011, 9:52 AM Reply   
No expereince with many of these boards and never come close to breaking a board, but from the descriptions of the Byerly boards I would think any of those boards would hold up pretty good with the glass tech they have in them. the perimeters (mid/top deck and arround the entire board too on some) have a thick glass rope and the new Byerly Blunt has Kevlar too.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-21-2011, 9:56 AM Reply   
too bad your shop does not carry SINE... could get a custom made board that even the skimpiest clad steamy female with a fetish for power tools and equipment couldn't damage.
haha... but seriously