Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (fill_er_up)      Join Date: May 2006       05-30-2006, 5:38 PM Reply   
I considered adding some kind of sound dampner to the removable panels on the sides of my v-drive and maybe on the bottom side of the middle sundeck hatch to reduce engine noise. Anyone done this and have ideas on what material to use?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-30-2006, 6:35 PM Reply   
Hmm...sounds like a cool idea
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-30-2006, 6:37 PM Reply   
hey check out cascade audio. They make a bunch of sound dampners I.E hood blankets that would work great for this type of job
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-30-2006, 10:28 PM Reply   
have you done it yet GRant? if not when are you..
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-31-2006, 7:14 AM Reply   
west marine sells a kit for about $60 that you can do it yoruself.
Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-31-2006, 7:57 AM Reply   
The Malibu Crew has a complete DIY w/pics for a DD.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=soundinsulation
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-01-2006, 10:56 PM Reply   
Could dynamat work?
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-02-2006, 6:05 AM Reply   
Kevin, not really. Regular Dynamat is a deadener and reduces vibrations on whatever surface its applied to.....mainly for rattles and harmonics. You want an acoustical foam material with a heat barrier for this application.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-02-2006, 6:56 AM Reply   
Ryan is right on. Cascade makes a few diffrent engine hood blankets that work in this exact same way
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-02-2006, 12:29 PM Reply   
The good stuff is pretty expensive....

http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/4,11640.html

This stuff has an inner core that is like a lead sheet, then has foam on either side. Note that it weighs a lot, one pound per square foot. It is very effective, however.

Take your time and get it glued on really well. Being so heavy it wants to pull off the walls so make sure the surface is clean before trying to stick it down.
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-02-2006, 10:29 PM Reply   
nice nice, very informative and a good idea
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-02-2006, 11:54 PM Reply   
I did this project a couple years ago, it has held fairly decent. The only thing that has fallen down is the heat reflective tape, it does not bond well with dampner. If I was to do it again I would just leave the seems a little crude showing the dampner. I used the spray on glue from 3m the strongest hold I think number 99.