Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 13, 2007

Old     (bean521)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-26-2007, 7:35 PM Reply   
Has anyone ever tore their PCL....but not wakeboarding.....but getting up on a wakesurf board?

I tore mine as I was getting up on a wakesurf board.....I have not got it repaired and ride with a brace...I know I should probably post this in the wakesurf post ....but was just curious....
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-27-2007, 9:19 AM Reply   
I tore my PCL about 4 years ago while wakeboarding. I have not had it repaired and I have to wear a brace everytime I ride to keep my leg from folding back on itself.

My doctor advised that I not have surgery to repair it. He said that the PCL, unlike the ACL, is a very thick ligament and it cannot be repaired to be as good as new. Therefore, if the PCL cannot be restored to original strength it isn't worth the risk of an invasive procedure to try and repair it. He said that if I had torn both my PCL and ACL, they would attempt to repair my PCL while they were in there repairing an ACL.

This sounded a little odd to me, so I did some research on the subject and it turned out that my doctor was correct. Living without a PCL is just something I have to deal with. I can't do anything beyond walking unless I have my brace on. Eventually my bones will wear out the cartilage in my knee and I will need to have a knee replacement. He said I should have another 15-20 years before I need to have that done though. At that time he suggested they repair my PCL as long as they were in there.

Good luck!
Old     (bean521)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-29-2007, 7:01 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info...I too have to wear the brace to keep my leg in place. My doctor also recommended that I leave it and deal with it. When I do use it for activites my knee and my ankle swells and I have a few blood spots in my ankle. Not sure why this is happening....Thanks for the info...