Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-18-2012, 8:40 PM Reply   
Hi,

Just bough a 2004 Centurion with a mercuriser 350. The buyer winterized it before delivery, and some hoses where unplugged.

I noticed that down on each manifolds, the drain hole was full of small chips of what appears to me to be rust or maybe calcium deposits, i' not sure.

I'm worried this could cause the whole system to be clogged.

Any hint if this is ''normal'' or if something need to be done? Removing those chips is enough?

Thanks
Old    9Drozd            03-18-2012, 10:18 PM Reply   
That is normal. Clean it out with a piece of wire and go run the boat. The manifolds are the last to get any water and from there its out the exhaust. When you winterize the boat, make sure water comes out of each petcock (both exhaust manifolds and both sides of the block. If you have to take a piece of wire and poke in the holes till water comes out)
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-19-2012, 6:21 AM Reply   
Exhaust manifolds are wear items and require replacement from time-to-time. If you are in fresh water, you can get over a decade on the manifolds. If in brackish water, it may be just a few years. You simply wait until they begin to leak and then replace. Good winterizing practices can extend the life - blowing out the motor with compressed air and leaving the plugs out to prevent condensation encouraging rust. Best practice is to fill motor with RV-antifreeze with corrosion inhibitor and then drain.
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-19-2012, 8:32 AM Reply   
Thanks guys. This issue got me worried a bit. I normally get my boat winterized by my local shop, and they antifreeze the system instead of draining it which i also think is better...

Besides the mechanic who removed the blue drain plugs, lost all of the rubber o-rings. I'm guessing putting them back without the o-rings is not a smart idea.
Where can i get them over the net and what size are they ?
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-19-2012, 8:49 AM Reply   
Local auto parts store will have a selection behind the counter. or the hardware store. Nothing special. Go get em.