Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (pucktowake)      Join Date: May 2007       02-24-2010, 1:34 PM Reply   
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/AmazingAnimals/whale-kills-trainer-sea-worlds-shamu-stadium/story?id=9932526

The whale grabbed the trainer and pulled them under shaking them violently. The trainer was Killed. Very sad story.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-24-2010, 1:38 PM Reply   
Nice spin, but it wasn't Shamu.

They are called killer whales for a reason I guess
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-24-2010, 2:06 PM Reply   
Paul, each park has multiple "Shamu's". This sounds like a whale in the show.

I hope they don't do anything to the whale.

"One witness, park visitor Victoria Biniak, told WFTV that the trainer was just introduced the whale during a live public show at the stadium."

that's good reporting...

Lastly, they really need all those different investigating teams involved? Seems like a waste of resources
Old     (mbsteez)      Join Date: May 2005       02-24-2010, 2:43 PM Reply   
But maybe another trainer had a hate on for this trainer, and trained the whale to eat her... I'm currently wearing sunglasses and talking like Horatio Cane...

I know she didn't get eaten, just sayin.
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       02-24-2010, 2:47 PM Reply   
That's the first thing I thought A-dub.

Do we really need forensics and homicide teams? I'm pretty sure they don't need to take fin prints from the whale or have them all in a line up.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-24-2010, 2:48 PM Reply   
Sucks keeping 7 of these whales in oversized swimming pools anyway.They're not dolphins.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-24-2010, 3:08 PM Reply   
Suprised this doesnt happen more often around the U.S. with all the large animals trainers are coming into contact with on a daily basis. If you kept me locked up for 8years i'd probably snap also. I will say when I do go to a park im totally mezmorized with the lions, tigers, whales, dolphins etc.. its really great to see them up close in action but this is the darker side.
Old     (bmcgee)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-24-2010, 3:18 PM Reply   
I heard this wasnt the first incident with this whale. My local news said it was responsible for the death of one of its trainers in 91 and also the death of a guy that snuck into the park in 99. It's kind of surprising that they would keep the whale in captivity after these accidents.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-24-2010, 3:49 PM Reply   
Brett - I don't think it's that particular whale that is on the "prowl". More coincidence maybe that these unfortunate people have ended up in his pond. I bet all the others would behave the same way if given the chance.
I think it is so cruel to keep these gigantic creatures in such a confined space anyway.

My landlord works at Seaworld. I am going to find out all the details if I can.
Old     (bmcgee)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-24-2010, 4:26 PM Reply   
Chris, I completely agree with you. Sadly, I don't find it surprising at all that these kinds of accidents happen. You cant train these animals to forget the natural behaviors they are born with, and keeping them confined will more than likely cause them to eventually lash out.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-24-2010, 8:04 PM Reply   
That tiger didnt go crazy....that tiger went "tiger"!!! haha.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-24-2010, 8:37 PM Reply   
I was at Seaworld last August and was amazed by the shear size of those Killer whales. I thought the show they put on was incredible and my hats off to all those wonderful people who help train those massive beasts.

I guess these types of accidents are part of the business, I mean they are wild animals and unpredictable.
Old     (ai_rider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-25-2010, 5:04 AM Reply   
With all of these animals in theses kind of shows/parks, you have to remember, they are trained, not tamed. Big big difference.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-25-2010, 7:29 AM Reply   
Watch the movie "The Cove" to find out where these dolphins/whales come from. Pretty eye opening.
Old    swass            02-25-2010, 7:29 AM Reply   
--

(Message edited by swass on February 25, 2010)
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-25-2010, 7:56 AM Reply   
Yup, I was going to say the same thing as Timothy. Very eye opening documentary. Pretty pathetic what humans will do to make a buck.
Old     (jayson_49)      Join Date: May 2007       02-25-2010, 8:12 AM Reply   
Very sad story, but homicide detectives? .......Homicide- the killing of a human being by another human being...c'mon unless another trainer ordered a hit then....just sayin...protocol I guess....
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-25-2010, 8:44 AM Reply   
The cove was an eye opener for sure. I can't believe they consider dolphins a pest. I'm a supporter of anti whaling, dolphis etc.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-25-2010, 9:14 AM Reply   
The Tiger went Tiger!

I love Chris Rock.
Old     (deneng)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-25-2010, 6:27 PM Reply   
Maybe they are just bored..In the wild they toss the seals around playing catch.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-25-2010, 8:47 PM Reply   
My wife's watching some tv thing and somebody just said "It's not a killer 'bunny', it's a killer 'whale'"....lol.

I think that this a bit of justification for my own personal fear of swimming with animals that can eat me.

No offence, please, but seriously? These "trainers" are rolling the dice every time they get near these animals.

I once had a humpback go under the (18 foot)boat I was on off the Santa Barbara coast and let me tell you I was looking for some fresh shorts. I can't believe that people try to train these animals
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-25-2010, 9:15 PM Reply   
Check out this one. This is where they belong.

Sooke, BC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIrsrRnerHY
Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-25-2010, 10:29 PM Reply   
It was actually a fake produced by the US Govt. If you look closely you will see it wasn't a whale or dolphin but actually a chicken and cow.