Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            12-14-2008, 8:59 AM Reply   
I have been messing with some alternative fabrics and found one I want to try. It's trade name is Zylon, and it's most notable use was by the now defunct company Second Chance Body Armor in it's ballistic vests...which seemed to not work after a period of time. Not good!

Anyway, I'm not needing a bullet proof board. :-) Soller Composites has it in a 4oz weight.

This is what the fabric looks like up close:

Upload
Old    surfdad            12-14-2008, 9:03 AM Reply   
That same company has a relative strength and stiffness bar chart comparing a number of fabrics used in composite structures. The Zylon is stronger than other fabrics, including aerospace grade Carbon and is stiffer than most fabrics, except for the aerospace grade Carbon...it was interesting to see the difference between the Zylon and Commercial grade Carbon.

Upload
Old    surfdad            12-14-2008, 9:04 AM Reply   
I did find a picture of someone attempting to laminate the stuff by hand. :-) Note the fabric on the uncut side not draping :-) It's stiff like PVC foam.

Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-14-2008, 9:56 AM Reply   
Maybe a good material for a deck patch.
Old    surfdad            12-14-2008, 10:16 AM Reply   
Yeah - the guy in the last picture did just that, carbon on the rails, Zylon on the deck. I want to use it under a PVC skin, the exterior will still be e or s-glass.

I ordered two yards :-)
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-14-2008, 4:18 PM Reply   
Anyone know how to get a few of these maybe they work maybe they don't bullet proof vests? I'm sure we could come up with a fun hunting game with them maybe like that Ice-T movie Surviving the Game.

What a great name for the company by the way!
Old    surfdad            12-14-2008, 5:51 PM Reply   
Did you really just suggest that?! :-) You wild man. The Zylon based vests I think are all gone, I do believe. Remind me never to accept an invitation to go hunting with you!!!! :-)

Richard Davis, the original owner of the company has an interesting life story. Former marine, owned a pizzeria and also delivered his pizzas. One delivery he gets robbed and shot, and he also shot the three attackers. :-) 'Ya have to love a little street justice.

Anyway, after that he developed the first kevlar vests which became the Second Chance Body Armor company. He used to make sales calls to police departments...he would suit up and ask to borrow a sidearm from one of the folks and then shoot himself (in the vest). :-) Is that an effective sales presentation, or what? :-)
Old     (konaking)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-15-2008, 6:11 AM Reply   
I think I will stick with S glass
Old    surfdad            12-18-2008, 8:22 PM Reply   
S-glass is good choice, about 15% stringer/stiffer than e-glass probably also that much more expensive.

I ordered some Kevlar that arrived today. Kevlar comes in different flavors Kevlar, Kevlar 29 and Kevlar 49 and different weights.

This is 1.74 oz Kevlar. It has a claimed stiffness of 2 to 3 times eglass. I intend to use it as the sandwich layer in lieu of the 2 oz eglass. It is recommended as a replacement for a single layer of 3 to 4 oz eglass.

Upload
Old    surfdad            12-18-2008, 8:25 PM Reply   
Kevlar has a few issues. One is you can't cut it :-) It takes a special pair of shears that are serated razors. :-) Another is that UV light breaks it down and lasty it doesn't sand, it fuzzes instead. :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            12-18-2008, 8:30 PM Reply   
I plan to build a d-cell compsand with carbon "stringers", 1.74 oz Kevlar sandwich layer and 4oz either s-glass or Zylon external lamination.
Old    lakeside5_10            12-19-2008, 4:56 AM Reply   
ooooh exotic
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-19-2008, 12:47 PM Reply   
well Jeff, at least if you get shot at while riding you have something to protect yourselves with. you never know in cali these days :-)
Old    surfdad            12-19-2008, 1:29 PM Reply   
Ever so true Mark and Smed! If you've ever been "in the lineup" to get off the lake it can get stupid.

Now we'll just pull out the board! Maybe even taunt them - go ahead and shoot! This is 2 plies of 1.74 oz Kevlar :-) Which MIGHT stop a BB from close range. :-)
Old    surfdad            12-27-2008, 4:46 PM Reply   
I got the chance to work with the 1.7 oz Kevlar. It's a very stiff fabric. Having worked with 2 oz e-glass as a sandwich laminate, the Kevlar is a dream in comparison. It cuts easily with the special shears. The 1.7 oz fabric was a challenge to wet out, I had to let it soak in and work the resin through the fabric with some force. I can imagine that a heavier weight Kevlar would be difficult to fully wet out.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload