Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-31-2007, 7:43 AM Reply   
Wondering on how they work, can you buy one and move it from the Car to the house to the boats? Do you need multiple units? Are they worth it, the monthly fee for radio? Or are people just burning CD's. The wife is interested in getting one, and I hate the radio on the pontoon boat and the ski boat the radio is nice but doesn't get good reception. Just wondering peoples experience. Thanks
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-31-2007, 8:58 AM Reply   
I had XM and could never get a decent signal. It also took forever to load my preset stations but that all may be due to the receiver. I just cancelled last week and plan on waiting until the two merge.
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-31-2007, 9:57 AM Reply   
My dad has the Delphia and he has had it for a yeaqr or two now and he loves it. He has mulitiple cradles for it so he can have it at home, the truck, the shed by the dock, the super air and the pontoon. I myself perfer the ipod, but my parents really dig the xm. Also the delphia hooks up the same way as an ipod so anyone who is with who has an ipod can hook that up as well. Hope that helps.
Old     (billspin)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-31-2007, 12:24 PM Reply   
I have tried 3 different portable models with XM. Really like the service and currently have the Pioneer Inno portable unit. Use it at work, at home, in the car, and in the boat. Very easy to move around.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-31-2007, 8:54 PM Reply   
I have a Sirius unit in both my cars and love it. I haven't tried it in the boat though.
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-01-2007, 4:29 AM Reply   
I had a sirrius unit I got for xmas. Used it for a day and the audio quality sucked so I sent it back. Didn't want to listen to that every day.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-02-2007, 8:29 PM Reply   
Had the XM with the antenna on the top of the tower. It worked fine but the content was not that great, when they started playing commercials on my favorite stations I cancelled the service. Now I just use the IPOD.
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-02-2007, 9:30 PM Reply   
I have Sirius in the boat, truck and wife's car. No problems with the sound quality in any of them. I can't tell the difference in CD vs Sat radio in the cars or the boat.

We had the portable unit at one time and didn't like that so we gave it away.

I can't remember the last time I listened to a regular radio station.
Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-04-2007, 5:47 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the info...seems like the thing to do is start filling the Ipod and just use that...

thanks
Old     (aldrichiii)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-20-2007, 1:18 PM Reply   
I've been using XM and can hardly ever get a signal. I have the antenna on top of my car, and it struggles to get a signal even on sunny days when I'm driving on an open highway. I will be canceling my subscription if the service still sucks when I move in a week. Anyone else out there use XM in Southern WI?

I think you'll be happy with just using your iPod. Its mainly what I do right now. I just wanted the radio to discover new songs, but that's hard to do when it never gets a signal.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-21-2007, 7:06 AM Reply   
Nick
I have sirius on the boat
mounted a marine antenna by the cup holder in front of the driver side windshield
we love it!
never had a problem
Old     (mijito)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-22-2007, 7:28 AM Reply   
I recently got the Sirius Starmate from Best Buy for $75.00. I had them mount it in my SUV, but also purchased the FM Modulator. That was the key to great reception; FM modulator and hardwiring it into your current radio. My out the door price with installation was $151.00. When they went to hard wire it into my SUV, I did have to buy 2 antenna connectors because my SUV is a Nissan. I think they were about $12.00 each. When I activated the service they had a promotion of getting the lifetime for $399.00 and would break the payments down to $100.00 per month for 4 months. I accepted. Once I turned it on, the regular radio is now a thing of the pass! Great sound quality and programming. I drove from NC to Maryland the first weekend I had it and did not have to change the station. No static or RPM noise at all. One thing is that I was using 88.1 for the station, however the local university uses 88.1 for there broadcasting also. I went to Sirius and they recommend 93.5. They have on there website "My SIRIUS Frequency Finder" where you type in your zip code and it will tell you the best frequency to use. On the way up to Maryland it started to rain and thunderstorm. Still no problems at all. Once I got back the wife and I went camping and took along a regular boom box. However the reception was poor and I missed my fav channels. So that night we went to the local Radio Shack and bought the Sirius boombox. It sounds great and not like a canned speaker. My wife loves it so much that I called Sirius and wanted to get her one and they gave me another complete setup for half the price. I told them that I wanted to get and extra adaptor for my boat and they sent me one FREE. The only thing I had to purchase was the antenna and that was on $10.00 at Radio Shack. I love the service and the programming and cannot see myself listening to a regular radio station again. As for the reception on the boat - Perfect! If anyone has any questions, PM me.
Old     (pizalm)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-28-2007, 7:39 PM Reply   
I used a buddy's car with Sirius for a week and it was great. Another buddy has it in his truck and it works great everywhere. You can also ac adapter so you don't need to get their "special" boom box. It will work fine next to your regular radio.
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-31-2007, 11:17 AM Reply   
I love xm. I don't know why everyone here hates it. I listen to Ethel Fungus Squizz off the top of my head. I have a chevy truck w/ onstar and integrated factory xm and paid to extend the intro demo. I want to try sirius. I also have a delphi roadyxt I xferred my subscription to when we went on a road trip from phoenix to seattle, got back and xfered back to my truck no problems. When it came to the boat it only has one aux input I was outvoted xm for ipod and everyone is shuffling their ipods in where I would change the channel and call it good. Part of the problem is all the people who come with dont have xm on a daily basis to know what they WOULD like. I think I am going to hookup the roady to the boat and swap it from the truck to the boat haven't decided yet.