Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-16-2006, 10:09 AM Reply   
I got some Neutrick baseplates and connectors. I've got a drill. I need to put a hole in my boat... just wanted to run the process through with you guys for no other reason then confidence.

First, Drill holes in the tower (two at top) and one on each base leg.

Use a string and vacuum and suck the string through the holes (starting at top and threading to bottom) for both set of holes.

Run speakerwire through the tower (keeping it loose).

Put on the neutricks connectors at the base and the tower (for my Pro 80s).

Put Duct Tape on flat section of boat for base plate.

Drive Hole through Duct Tape and Fiberglass (in "reverse" for drill.

Remove Duct Tape.

Place Nuetricks Baseplate in hole, drill in screws to hold in place.

Connect Neutricks Baseplates to existing speaker wires.

Connect Neutricks Connectors - Turn up Stereo and Enjoy.

Do these steps seem logical?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-16-2006, 10:24 AM Reply   
I've never used tape when drilling in reverse thru the gelcoat.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-16-2006, 11:12 AM Reply   
"and one on each base leg. "

no, put one hole on one leg and use a 4 pole neutricks connector.

everythign else is spot on.

yess drilling a 3/4" hole through your deck is...ahem...fun
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-16-2006, 11:30 AM Reply   
used painter's tape instead of duct, but duct would work prob work just as well
Old     (phideltcraiger)      Join Date: May 2006       06-16-2006, 11:34 AM Reply   
what is the benefit of drilling in reverse?
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-16-2006, 11:58 AM Reply   
I just read that somewhere... I'm not really sure...
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-16-2006, 12:03 PM Reply   
keeps the glass from splintering. Also, spray WD-40 while you drill to keep it cool
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-16-2006, 12:16 PM Reply   
imagine a hot knife thur butter....it's the equivalent of drilling in reverse thru gelcoat/fiberglass. Just go slow and let the bit do the work.
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-16-2006, 1:23 PM Reply   
butter doesnt cost $50,000 dollars :\ heh.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-16-2006, 1:36 PM Reply   
I think the reverse trick only works if you're using a hole-saw. I don’t think a normal bit would work at all in reverse.

That's a common method for drilling through a Formica counter top. Drill normally to get the drill bit through the material, then place the drill in reverse to get through the Formica then back into forward to drill through the particle board. The hole-saw has jagged teeth on it that will grab and flake/chip the Formica top. Using reverse has a scoring affect on the Formica and makes a clean cut.
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-16-2006, 2:03 PM Reply   
okay, so uh ...

reverse or no reverse? I can see it now - a crack all the way down the side, water rolling in, screams of pain and suffering...
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-16-2006, 2:06 PM Reply   
I've drilled all the way thru in reverse using a regular drill bit mounting a transom remote. No tape.
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-16-2006, 2:20 PM Reply   
Thanks adam...

Just FYI - you ALWAYS reply to my questions on here. I appreciate that! If you ever wanna pull ... :-)