Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (tws_andrew)      Join Date: May 2004       03-06-2006, 12:37 PM Reply   
Need some help from some of the gurus here. Picking up my new WS 23 LSV very soon. Ordering NVS Addictions from Duane.
Here are my many questions
1 - Subs. I am deciding between W7/W6V2. I love the w7 in my car but I am not sure it is worth it in a boat and worth the extra power required. For those that have heard both in a boat let me know.
2 - Size and number of subs. I had a JL 12 in my MC. Normally I like the sound of a 10 better but in a boat I think 12 is likely better. I really only want one enclosure in the drivers kick panel so what do you think about 2 10s there or 1 12. All input invited
3 - Components/Coax. My MC had a spot for tweets so components were chosen but I am thinking that it is almost a waste in an open area like a boat. Anyone think high end coax is decent for a boat. I am a bit of an audiofile and for the car I would not consider this except for fill but fo the boat it seems to be worth it. Any recommendations for a loud clean 6.5 coax? Looking at the Polks a little because they say they are very durable. Don't want marine stuff though.
4 - Amps. I need to power 2 Addictions, 6 6.5 coax or components and 1 or 2 subs. I really like higher end amps for the car but I am not sure they are worth it in the boat. I was thinking about the PPI 4125 for the Addictions since everyone liked it for the other NVS setups but I don't know what to do for the other speakers. I have primarly used the JL 1000.1 and 300.2 in my cars over the past few years. I have heard good things about some good value amps for boats like memphis etc but I am not sure where to go for 6 components and one/two sub. I would like two only have two amps if possible just for space reasons. Advice appreciated. Sorry for being so lengthy. I did two systems in my MC and I want to get this right the first time.
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-06-2006, 1:37 PM Reply   
"I did two systems in my MC and I want to get this right the first time".

Then you should talk to Grant or Clay and do it right the first time.
www.soundillussionsaudio.com
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-06-2006, 1:41 PM Reply   
I can tell you I'm really happy with my Polk Momo MMC650's. They sound terrific. I have 4 of them, two on the tower (audioformz enclosures), and two in the boat with another pair of polk tweeters up front. They really do sound good. Right now I'm running 75-watts to each of the towers, 45 to each in the boat and 150 to a 10w1v2. You can tell the difference between the 45 and the 75 so I'd shoot for as close to 75 as you can for sure. I'm planning on changing out the boat amp at the end of the month for a second JL e4300 so they're matched up a little better. They look great and they are marine rated because the cone is carbon fiber. So consider that a bonus. The MMC6500's (extra zero) are the component set version of the same thing and are rated at 100+watts rms. The coaxials's are 75 or 80 I believe. IMO, I think you'd be with the coaxials, but you should go give them a listen if you can. The grills would probably be the closest match to the NVS that you're going to find too. If you have a good enough charging system, people will probably tell you to go with a JL 500/1 and a 10w6v2. That's what I want, but I'm being told not to because of my whimpy alternator. Smaller box too and you probably would be happy with one I'm betting. I'm no expert by any means, but I have been doing a lot of reading and question asking the last few months. I also just had all that stuff done about a month ago and am taking it back in to have them redo the sub and change out an amp. good luck!
Old     (dls)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-06-2006, 8:23 PM Reply   
I have two 12w6-v2 in my boat right now powerd by two Arc Audio 1000.2T I also have a 12w7 sitting on my work bench but the W6s sound so damn good I don't know if I'll put the W7 in.
Old     (tws_andrew)      Join Date: May 2004       03-08-2006, 9:56 PM Reply   
I would definately go with someone like SoundIllusions but they are too far away. Their work looks awesome although I might opt for a little less bling.
Old    audio_doctor            03-09-2006, 10:01 PM Reply   
If you use the JL 10w7 or 12w7 and have a heater installed behind the kick panel you will probley need a custom box and more than likley it will need to be a sealed box to keep the size small, also you will probley need to face the woofer facing out toward your feet. dig deep because you will also need a good size amp to drive it so its going to cost big $$$$$$. let me ask why? Why spend that kinda money on a W7, do you believe bigger is better? what if i told you i could use a woofer 1/3 the price of a w7, in a very basic box that would sound twice as loud with half the power, and be completly hidden. Now some people may say B.S, a big bad speaker with a ton of power be better and louder. well I am not saying it wont but you have limitations in a boat. If you are trying to put a big sub in a small space (behind the kick panel) and you are limited to alternator output if you stay stock. keep in mind a stock 23 LSV has only a 90amp output. so these are your limitations, now you could always spend more $$$$$. and fix this problem, but really how loud do you need it. I have been useing a single 10" with no modifications to the boat and its enough to vibrate the drivers seat and floor. To give you an example, The upgraded system avalible from malibu adds a kicker kx-700.5 amp and the square kicker 10" sub on the kickplate. I took a Audio Control 3050A 1/3 octive analyzer and tested the factory upgrade against my personal upgrade. Results: I was able to gain 4 decibles and have extended bass range around 25hz, a smoother bass curve from 25hz to 100hz useing one half of a 350.4 kicker amp vs the class D sub section of the 700.5 kicker amp. I also used a kicker c-10 for the sub vs solobaric s10. I personaly believe from looking at the specs that the kicker cvr-10 would be better if you would like a little more kick, but will cost a little more $$$$$.
I also prefer the kicker amp mainly because the adjustability on the face of the amp vs adjustability on the side of the JL amp. that may not seem like a big deal until you need to adjust something and the amps are mounted. also the kicker amps have fans built into them so you will not have any overheating problems. In my system i use dual 350.4 amps max amp draw is 80 amps. this is the max draw you would want if you do not want to replace the alternator. I also use dual batteries. Malibu uses a 350.4 and a 700.5 max amp draw is 130amps this could be a problem down the road. As far as the factory 6.5 kicker speakers that malibu sends with the boat they sound harsh to me due to the mylar dome tweeter they use. i would upgrade to a 6.5 speaker with a soft dome tweeter this will sound alot smoother.(brand is not really important here)go with what you like. dont waste your money on seperates in a boat, in a sealed car or a home theater yes spend the money. in a boat no. I personaly would add a preamp EQ like the kicker KQ5 or KQ9 or a audiocontrol EQS to the system if you want a little more control. Hope this helps.