Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-16-2005, 8:10 PM Reply   
Just curious and interested on how others see the logic associated in some of the divisions and skill levels allowed. All the divisions seem to be logical except the Masters and Veterans. The Masters appears to be like an intermediate class for older riders and Veterans a novice class for older still. I don't really see the need for those two divisions if you are limited on the tricks allowed. Men's intermediate is for 13 and over and Masters is a division for 30 and over but limited to intermediate tricks. Men's novice is for 13 and over and seems to be the same like Veterans for 40+. If they have a division based on age, then why do they limit the tricks allowed? I qualify to ride the Veterans division, but since I can do inverts and spins I have to ride in the Advanced division against guys less than half my age. I met a lot of great riders and friends, but it does surprise people when I hang with, and am older than some of the parents of the guys I compete with. It is not a bad thing, but why have those division based on age if I can't ride against my age group? Just curious of others thoughts and opinions.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-16-2005, 8:31 PM Reply   
Jim, I have asked this myself many times. The only comps that are true to this Masters and Veterans is the Nationals and worlds comps. I don't think there ever will be any logic to those two divisons in the INT format just because there are not that many riders in those two classes.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-18-2005, 7:10 AM Reply   
I am 41 and ride in Veterans. The logic is this: At 41 you don't bend and recover from injury like you did at 13-30. It gives the older guys a fair shot at competition without the risk of injury trying to do the high-end spins and inverts. Of course, you can compete in the non-age divisions if you wish and really throw down. You are not forced into riding Veterans if over 40 - it just levels the playing field like a golf handicap does. Nobody likes to lose every time, this is a way to provide a shot at winning for those who care to meet the division requirements.
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-18-2005, 11:06 AM Reply   
Karl, I agree with you on all your points. My knees start hurting just thinking about a DUP. Are there enough riders to add more divisions for the old farts since there are probably more people wakeboarding than when the divisions were originally created? My goal is to be riding at an expert level by age 50, but who knows if the body will hang in there long enough. Let's hear some more comments from the WakeWorld group. If not, than maybe it is a mute point and we'll just stay young at heart, and ride!!!!
Old     (jbjboc)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-18-2005, 12:33 PM Reply   
Many extreme sports have a Veterans Division, and wakeboarding is no different. I'm 42- been riding since Skurfer days. My inverts and spins are quite as easy anymore but I still love riding and competing so I ride Veterans division. I think the Masters division is still very competitve in INT, and the Veterans are getting better every year.