Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 04, 2005

Old    wakegal02            01-06-2005, 10:31 AM Reply   
Hey guys I was just curious how many people got started with wakeboarding. Everytime I think about how I got started reminds me that it's still a very new sport. I only got started with wakeboarding bc my best friend in 6th grade was a competitive water skier and she happend to have a wakeboard some1 gave her. When I fist started and even til this day some people (mainly adults) I tell that I wakeboard are clueless and will be like "whats wakeboarding", and that tells me this sport is so young and I don't see how the pro's there are today got involved when many people today still don't kno what wakeboarding is. My only regret is that I wish I got more involved a lot earlier.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-06-2005, 10:38 AM Reply   
Look at the "catalogs" like Overton's and Bart's. They sell a lot of wakeboard stuff, and the dealers probably sell 2 to 1 wakeboard vs ski boats.

I think the answer is that boat people know, but the general public, or people who could care less about water sports won't know no matter what you do.

To answer your question though, I got started because my neighbor got a board three years ago. I happened also to buy a ski boat that came with a Pylon. The guy who sold it too me asked if I boarded and I said no. He rightly said, don't worry, you will and you'll never go back.

Eric
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-06-2005, 10:42 AM Reply   
Jen you make me smile!! "My only regret is that I wish I got more involved a lot earlier."
More involved, earlier? your 15!! I agree wakeboarding is still in its infantcy but it has progressed 10 fold over the years. As far as the pro's go, they have been wakeboarding for the majority of your life. Have fun! I always tell people its like snowboarding on water. That gives them the snowboard visual etc... :-)
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-06-2005, 10:43 AM Reply   
On a simialr subject, great post from dallas wakeboarding.com

McFlys Mirror
What is Wakeboarding?

What is wakeboarding? The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language defines wakeboarding as “a short, very broad water ski ridden in the manner of a surfboard by a person towed by a motorboat”. Pretty simple, right? It’s just a form of

waterskiing. All it is is something to do on a hot day in the middle of the summer to cool off. So why is there such a fuss about it? Why does Google pull up 816,000 websites containing wakeboarding? Why is there wakeboarding in the X-Games? Why does wakeboarding have its own Pro Tour? Why are you reading this?

Why? Because wakeboarding is much more than a sport. Have you ever sat down and thought of what wakeboarding really is? Sure, to a lot of you, wakeboarding is just a sport. You participate when you want to, and do other things when you are not wakeboarding, without giving it as much as another thought. But, to the others, especially those that are still reading this (and paying attention); wakeboarding is not just a sport.

I have been wakeboarding since August 24, 1994. Anytime before this date is now known as the BW Era (Before Wakeboarding). During my BW Era, I water-skied, I knee boarded, I tubed, and generally, I just screwed around on the water. However, once I got up for the first time on a wakeboard, I never looked back. There was something different about wakeboarding versus the other water sports. Wakeboarding gave me more freedom when I was behind the boat. I had more options when I was riding. It seemed to me that I was being sucked into something that instantly tried to take over my life. Wakeboarding soon turned into a drug that I could not live without…something that I simply couldn’t get enough of. And, as I got more involved with wakeboarding, I noticed that the same feeling spread to those that were around me.

Now, odds are, if you are still reading this and comprehending what I am saying, then you probably feel the same way about wakeboarding as I do. So what do you say when someone asks you what wakeboarding is? Have you ever really thought about what wakeboarding is to you?

Wakeboarding isn’t just when you are riding behind the boat. It is much more complex than that. To me, Wakeboarding is:

Sitting in the lake for almost an hour while waiting for the fat sacs to fill, and thinking that there is no place you would rather be

Floating in the river at 11pm, asking “who’s up next?”

The Fro

Spoon Watches

Watching your best friend land a trick for the first time, and making him come in the boat so you can go learn it real quick

Butterflies in your stomach before you ride (especially in tourneys)

Having more than one wakeboarding decal on your vehicle

Making a pact with your buddies the night before you go ride to all try a raley, and then having to hold up your end of the bargain

Having a coffee table in your living room made out of a wakeboard

The expression on someone’s face as they get up for the first time

Getting a new knee

When your life vest doesn’t dry out all season

Holding the safety bar on a ride at the fair, imagining that it is a wakeboard handle and you are doing inverts

Being hauled off in a sheriffs boat because you jumped over the nose of his boat when he had someone else pulled over

Naming your dog “Belmont”

Teaching an 8 year old his first invert, then watching him learn 10 more in less than a year

Dallaswakeboarding.com

The smell of an outboard engine

Teeing off on the back 9, thinking, “only 2.5 hours until we are on the water”

Throwing triple ups until you run out of gas

Basing every one of your projects in your marketing classes on wakeboarding

Running a victory lap in the boat in perfectly calm water around your buddy that just landed an invert he had been working on forever

Pulling the boat to school so we can hit the water as soon as we get out

Filling up the fat sacs at my buddy’s house with his water hose to save time

Keeping a calendar on the wall of every time you ride, and noticing that you only missed 3 days within 3 months

Concussions

High Wake Drifters

A tux with solid black Reefs

Having to cut bindings off of your friends’ foot due to a bad fall

Spending only two nights in your own bed in the month of July because you are on the road doing clinics

Giving props and celebrating with the guy that just beat you in a tourney, instead of being upset about it

Standing on top of a house boat, and hearing some guy tell his buddy that the fat sacs in my boat are in there to help balance the boat to make the wake smoother for slaloming

Hopping around the living room in your board and bindings

WAKEtv

Riding almost 12 hours a day, then coming home and watching wakeboarding videos

The sun stabbing your shoulders cause you have been out every day that week

The UPS man bringing you your new board

Teaching someone from a tube that is tied 10 feet in front of them

Tetanus shots

Watching your buddy take crash after crash on raleys, but still getting back up for more

Driving the boat all day even though you can’t ride

Someone that you have never seen before in your life recognizing the Hyperlite symbol on your hat, and striking up an hour long conversation

Riding doubles

The rivers, lakes, bayous and ditches we have all ridden in

Landing an invert on your first attempt

Having a wakeboard banner on the wall in your house

Having all 4 board racks full on your boat and still have boards on the floor

Wheelie bags

Louisiana Spring Fling

Mosquitoes

Running to the marina on your lunch break to get a quick pull

The latest WBM

Wakeboarding one weekend, snowboarding the following, and wakeboarding the next

Blood all over your brand new white handle

Having a triple up smack you so hard, you come up out of the water with your fists clenched looking for who hit you

Hand signals

Hitting a dip in the road in your truck, and trying to think of ways you can hit it faster, get some air, and tweak it out

Triple up whip-its

Wakeboarding with snow blowing out of the boat

Having some form of a wakeboard symbol on at least one piece of your clothing at all times

And the list goes on and on. But, there is one simple point that I am trying to express. To some, wakeboarding is a sport, but to others, it is a lifestyle. There are tons of riders that come and go, and then there are riders that are involved no matter what the consequences.

As riders, we are loyal to the Wakeboarding. We defend it when it is attacked, we embrace it each time we are out on the boat, and we support it by hosting tourneys, clinics and demos. We want to spread the stoke of wakeboarding to all, but at the same time, we keep some things secret so we can enjoy it in our selfish ways. We support the companies that deliver wakeboarding to our doorstep, and we curse those that try to take it away from us. We get upset when we have an off day on the water, yet we continue to come back for more. And, we continue to push ourselves to the mental and physical limits that are involved with wakeboarding, each and every day.

So, if you ever get the chance, ask yourself what Wakeboarding is to you, and really put some thought into it. To me, Wakeboarding is not just a sport, but it is a lifestyle. It is my lifestyle.

Marty McFly

Posted on Wednesday, September 29 @ 13:21:25 EST by reid
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-06-2005, 10:47 AM Reply   
I wish I knew what a wakeboard was when I was 15. I think I was probably riding a knee board behind our seaswirl back then. Let's see...15. I think they still had directional boards back then.

Anyway, we are all lucky to get into a sport thats soo young and has people that are enthusiastic about being involved. Most people that ride are always soo stoked. There have been very few wakeboarders I've met that I didn't like. Hopefully it'll stay this way for a while.
Old    wakegal02            01-06-2005, 11:40 AM Reply   
Adam I love your statement/theory/response, w/e you wanna call it. And when you mentioned and 8 year old doing inverts n all thats what I was talking about when I said I wish I started earlier. Even though I first got up on a wakeboard when I was about 11 I didn't learn much until this yr. cause my dad found a coach that I have gone to a few times so I can actually progress. Yeah I guess I am pretty fortunate that I have gotten involved while I'm still in high school. I hope as I progress and maybe enter some contests eventually that I meet more people bc I don't kno too many people in that wakeboard world, if you kno wat I mean. Finding this website shows me how many awesome people share the same interests as I do.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-06-2005, 2:25 PM Reply   
god, now i feel old...and im not. thanks. oh well. back to putting flexall on my knees in preparation for next season.