Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 12, 2008

Old    malibu73            04-19-2008, 1:41 PM Reply   
So we were riding on the river the other day and some of the local high schools were having a rowing comp. I did my best to try to stay away from them, but it seemed like they were everywhere. Eventually we had a chase boat come up to us and nicely tell us that they were having a comp. didn't really tell us where it was OK to go and not bother them.

My question is what should I do in that situation. They were right in the area with the calmest water and there really wasn't any other place to go. I don't want to be that boat that everyone hates, but I wanted to board and didn't really get to.
Old     (ethan31)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-19-2008, 1:56 PM Reply   
I'd keep on riding, If its a public lake.
I would just try and not get to close and give them some room.
Old     (dppaneig)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-19-2008, 1:59 PM Reply   
We go to our local lake and it sucks to see tubers out there at 5:00 am in the summer on a weekday. You just have to kick it until they leave. With your situation its a little different. If I were out there and there was nowhere else to go, I would kick it and drink a beer and enjoy just being out there. (especially because they were cool and also its a school comp.) Somedays are like that and I think you did the right thing.
Old     (zipe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-19-2008, 9:21 PM Reply   
How would you feel of there were a bunch of jet skiers ripping up a wakeboard competition course? If they were having an organized event, definitely go find somewhere else to be. It is a public area, but think if you were in their boat...literally.

Now, if they are just out having fun, like the tubers and jet skis...chase them down till you run them off the water!
Old     (andy13)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-19-2008, 10:32 PM Reply   
im with dan on this one
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-20-2008, 10:01 AM Reply   
I have skiers on a public lake ask us to leave so they can get their sets in. there is no place else to go on this lake to be out of the way. This was at 7 am on a saturday where this lake gets packed by 9, hence me getting out there so early. I just told them,"you live here I dont, I trailer 20 miles to get good water, you step out the back door. Share the water, this is a public lake, dont like it, walk out the door at 8pm when it is dead again"
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-20-2008, 10:22 AM Reply   
We have rowing events on the TN river in Chattanooga, High Schools, University, club teams. When they have an event they are required to get a permit and that zone of the river becomes a no-wake zone during that time. If they are just practicing I try to stay as far away as possible. Our wake is very disruptive to a rowing team. If we don't respect them long term I think the wakeboard boats will lose the politics. Fortunately its a big long river and there are other places to go.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-21-2008, 2:15 PM Reply   
unless they have a leagal permit to hold the comp and an official closing off a cove or a stretch of waterwith buoys saying that you cant pass or its a no wake zone then you can keep on riding..

i would have kept on riding for sure unless they had a permit to hold the comp there..

i held a comp in a public hardly used cove about ten years ago and idiots ran through there and killed the water and we could not do anything about it except do our best..
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-21-2008, 2:15 PM Reply   
unless they have a leagal permit to hold the comp and an official closing off a cove or a stretch of waterwith buoys saying that you cant pass or its a no wake zone then you can keep on riding..

i would have kept on riding for sure unless they had a permit to hold the comp there..

i held a comp in a public hardly used cove about ten years ago and idiots ran through there and killed the water and we could not do anything about it except do our best..
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-21-2008, 2:34 PM Reply   
guys, how many times have you been at a wake comp and got irretated at the non-comp boats and jetskis rolling through?

You don't HAVE to leave. But it's the right thing to do.

Be cool