Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-19-2010, 6:53 AM Reply   
I have a trim tab on the back of my 1990 Supra Sunsport. It is pretty much fixed. It has some adjusters on the linkage from the back of the boat but there is no way for the steel to hinge at the bottom of the boat. It is for all practical purposes fixed. I am wondering if i should take it off. I think i have read people on here saying that it could help the wake for both wake boarding and surfing. Any ideas?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-19-2010, 7:42 AM Reply   
You run the risk of the boat porpoising at higher speeds with it off, and your starts will definitely be slower.
If it's off you will probably get a better wake for surfing.
I would recommend getting the adjustable tab installed instead of the fixed one. It costs some money but makes a great difference.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-19-2010, 7:47 AM Reply   
Where can i find one Art?
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-19-2010, 8:35 AM Reply   
I had the exact same plate. Took it off and haven't looked back. I run 3000# and usually 3-6 people and never have a problem getting out of the hole. The wake def. changed once i took it off. Its def. steeper now. I do porpoise over 35 or so, but we rarely go that fast, plus if you leave some weight up front it isnt too bad.

That said I will probably get a lenco electric tab sooner or later. Their about 500 bones, but it does save on gas and you can tweek the wake per rider. Lenco is what they use on all the new Supras. My deal is i want to integrate the switch into the throttle, just to make it a bit easier for the driver.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-19-2010, 9:05 AM Reply   
Ben, what boat did you take the plate off of? Did it help the surf wake?
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-19-2010, 11:23 AM Reply   
01 Launch. I actually haven't surfed behind it since i took it off. I would imagine it would help a bit. FYI, when i pulled mine off, i dropped the crews back into the hull with some 5200 silicone to keep water from getting in there and ruining things.
Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-19-2010, 3:09 PM Reply   
If it is like mine (97 SunSport) the steel plate is pretty flexible so you can shorten up the turnbuckles and then put the pin back in to pull the plate up. It isnt hinged but the plate will flex up. With that said, I am looking into either a Lenco or Bennett system as well for adjustment on the fly.
Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-19-2010, 3:12 PM Reply   
Quick Hijack:

Ben,

Where do you put 3000lbs in your launch? I hava sac under the back seat, one in the rear locker, one on either side of the motor and one up front and I estimate I only have about 2100 lbs.
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-19-2010, 4:18 PM Reply   
Built a ballast system. From back to front...

400# ski locker sack
500# tank (rear seat)
650# between the rear seat and motor compartment
725# under midship walk through
425# under bow
400# on bow seat

We run all of that when we're <= 3. >3 we lose some of the weight. Makes a pretty nasty wake.

I dont like bags on the side of the motor, the 650 btw the seat and motor is the rear seat sac turned on end and doubles as a reverse viewing seat. works perfect.

Hey were y'all at round up last weekend? The T was damn good, minus the rain.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-19-2010, 9:02 PM Reply   
The adjustable plates can be purchased through many marine outlets like Overton's and on-line. You may be able to get one from Supra that fits your boat.
They mount on either the vertical part of the transom or on the lower hull just ahead of the transom, if you have an indent there for your fixed plate is attached to. You choose them based on the width you could mount and the length they extend. Many are sold as pairs for leveling a boat but for a wake boat you want the one center one. Some new surf setups are also using two on the sides to make the boat list.

If you just take yours off and experience porpoising, you move people or weight forward to lessen it or you reduce speed.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-20-2010, 4:32 AM Reply   
Thanks guys. I think I am going to see if i can get it to bend easily like was mentioned above. If that doesn't work so well i will take it off and try that.
Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-20-2010, 8:42 AM Reply   
I was really hoping to make it out to round up this year but I missed it again. I actually havent even had the boat out yet this year and its killing me. If anyone is thinking about going back to school for a masters, dont do it, its a horrible decision and your first run of the year will be in May instead of Febuary or March.

Just kidding by the way...kind of. :P

Getting back on topic. This is the closest fit I have found for our boats in a single plate.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...t&merchID=4005

I have actually toyed with the idea of just getting one of the two plate kits with 12" plates and installing them right next to each other. The main reason is because it seems like the two plate kits can be found for cheaper than the single plate but it might also help the surf wave a tiny bit to have one up and one down.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-20-2010, 8:57 AM Reply   
any idea how much travel that thing has?
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-20-2010, 9:23 AM Reply   
I was actually thinking about just buying a beefy hinge and taking it to a machine shop, and get the original plate cut and mounted with the hinge. The Lenco actuators are reasonable (just need one) and come with everything you need to mount it to your original plate. I est. that was going to save about $200.

I was trying to avoid the hydraulic actuators just b/c is not nearly as easy and maint. free as the electric ones.

all these tabs only travel something like than 2.25 inches or less, if i remember correctly

Last edited by kamighazi; 04-20-2010 at 9:27 AM. Reason: addition
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-20-2010, 9:30 AM Reply   
Damn good call Ben. I work at a machine shop. I am going to pull that plate off and bring it in for the guys to look at. I am probably going to find a way to keep it adjustable by hand with a long piece of threaded rod.
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-20-2010, 10:10 AM Reply   
I even went as far as considering making mine a spring loaded tab. In my mind its pretty simple: with the forward thrust and downward draft the spring(s) would compress given the pressure and in turn the plate would raise.

Problem is getting the correct measurements: how much pressure is needed to compress the spring on time, i.e. not compress instantly at hole shot but at 18-15 mph. I dont know if you have more or less pressure on the plate at higher speeds, my guess is less which totally screws up the idea.

Another idea is: screw electrics and hydraulics. Make a manual 2 position plate that moves by pulling\pushing a lever, like nautiques hydro gate. Simple, cheep, maint free, done is done.

But that is TODO item 734 out of 864
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-20-2010, 10:17 AM Reply   
haha. I hear you on the TODO list. It seems as though you have put a lot of thought into this. I am going to try to take mine off tonight and bring it into work tomorrow. I will update you one the progress as it unfolds.