Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-08-2012, 12:42 PM Reply   
Just wondering if anyone has had experience with anything similar to my following quesions....

I am re-doing my home theater setup so it looks "nice" to the Mrs.... the final product in my mind will have the following displays:

120" fixed frame screen - image from a HD20 Projector
55" LED tv
55" Plasma tv
*The TVs will be mounted to the right of the screen and stacked one on top of the other

The sources providing a signal will be a:
2 Direct TV boxes in the room (third box I am tapping into from living room above and can use RF remote)
PS3 for games/bluray
Media PC for games/bluray/media

My thought is to split the HDMI signal as soon as it comes out of the device (1x2)... from there one split would run to a TV and the other split to my receiver - that would feed the projector.... doing this I should be able to watch any source on either a TV or big on the projector depending the needs for that given day.

....I'm sure some people are asking, what the hell do you need three displays for, which is a good question.
My reasoning for doing it this way:
1. Had a similar setup in college and was spoiled.
2. NFL sundays / NCAA saturdays - sunday ticket and gameday are awesome and have 3 tvs going is the only way to do it.
3. When the Mrs. wants to watch some ****ty movie I can fire it up on the projector, while I play a video game or have sports on.... this way she is happy because we're "watching a movie together" and I am happy because I am not in the doghouse for playing games.
4. I have extra tvs.

Attached is the college setup with old/different TVs.... this time around obviously wires will be hidden, media all in a rack, and TVs stacked.....the other pic is my idea for splitting the "outs" on each device.... does it seem like it should work?

Thanks for any input!
Attached Images

Old     (0klahoma_Breakdown)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-08-2012, 12:51 PM Reply   
Is there a reason one 55" is plasma and the other LED or are you just using what you have? Sounds like it could be a pretty sweet setup but to clean it up even further I would run two of the same type of tv with slimline bezel around them. If you really want to impress the Miss, get some of those custom picture frames for LED TVs and run a slideshow screensaver when not watching the tv's.
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-08-2012, 9:44 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIqocGjL6es
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-08-2012, 11:48 PM Reply   
I think 3 displays would drive me banana's. What do you for the sound track for each display?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-09-2012, 6:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
I think 3 displays would drive me banana's. What do you for the sound track for each display?
Since it would be HDMI connects that would carry sound to each display if I want it.... generally for football days it is the main/most important game to me on the 120" screen and sound to that, then the others are just picture and muted.... or I'll have low volume on the side display and then can just mute the surrond if/when I want to hear those.
.... once you've had three displays you can never go back, it sounds stupid but man I only have two hooked up now and its strange to me.... first world problems eh?

HAHA, yup!

Quote:
Is there a reason one 55" is plasma and the other LED or are you just using what you have? Sounds like it could be a pretty sweet setup but to clean it up even further I would run two of the same type of tv with slimline bezel around them.
They're different because they were purchased at seperate times.... I'm a sucker for a good deal, and this stuff all sort of popped up as "too good to pass up" so snatched them up.

.... getting two slimlines would be nice but lord knows it won't fly with the Mrs.... the only thing she hates more than something looking ugly in the house is spending money on things she doesn't want.... if we were buying decorations and walk-in closet items then its a different story.

I think I'm just going to buy one of these to test it out (only $5) and if it works buy some more.... the nice thing about this splitter is it has some cord running from the male end to the two female ends.... 1 less HDMI I have to waste in the conversion.... and its cheap!
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-09-2012, 10:56 AM Reply   
How about this. Buy 3 A/V recievers. (decent recievers are actually fairly cheap these days). connect each satellite input to each reciever, use one of them as your primary and put a splitter/switch on the hdmi out of that one (since the splitter only clones the image) and pick two primary video devices (like TV1 and Projector). This way you can use most of your devices (htpc, PS3, etc) on either of those two devices) Also, hook up the aux audio out of the other two recv'rs into the main recv'r. This way you still get your full surround sound.. and get a good universal remote that's macro programmable... push a button and everything you need comes on, push another button and change up what source you're using for the audio, push a button to change channels, operate ps3, etc... The hardest part of this set-up might be programming the remote.
Attached Images

Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-09-2012, 11:00 AM Reply   
also, as far as your splitter from monoprice, be careful what you get as the signal will be severely degraded w/a passive splitter. You want to get one w/a signal booster (one that plugs into the wall). and again, the splitter will only turn one signal into two, so both displays will be watching the same thing.
Old     (actiondcpd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-09-2012, 11:13 AM Reply   
For what it's worth I am currently using this splitter from monoprice and it works great. I split the signal from my living room box up to my game room.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-09-2012, 11:14 AM Reply   
I know nothing, but I think Pound has a pretty good solution there.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-10-2012, 6:22 AM Reply   
Thanks for the suggestion Pound, but the problem with your idea for my specific application is I would be adding a fair amount of wires to the equation, losing flexibility (could not have bluray/htpc going at the same time)....

I don't really need good sound to the Aux/side tvs... they are almost just "support" to the main display, anything worth having good sound would go to the projector and the receiver, while anything else on is most likely there for just the picture (e.i. pacman while the lady watches a movie, or a football game I care less about if the packers are on)... so quality sound to those isn't as crucial.

Quote:
For what it's worth I am currently using this splitter from monoprice and it works great. I split the signal from my living room box up to my game room.
go to know that one works for sure, I think I'll test one of those cheapies before I do a full on stock up, but its nice to know I've got a fallback if they cheapies fail me

Thanks!

I got my new receiver and the parts for my HTPC last night, so after the pc build and some revamping of the current jerry-rig setup I'll see where I stand