Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (lotoftime)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-02-2007, 12:41 PM Reply   
I am tring to figure out the best way to construct a ballast system. I would like some advice from the pros.
What I am thinking about is spliting into my Raw water intake with three Tsunami pumps (wired to dash) And three Tsunami pumps on thru hull vent lines for draining (wired to dash), If I install check valves after the fill pumps, and mount the drain pumps below the bags water line I should have a good system right?

I was thinking of using some 1100 GPM pumps for filling and some smaller 500 gpm for draining?

Any thoughts?
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       07-02-2007, 3:59 PM Reply   
If you are planning on filling while underway, I would be concerned about robbing the cooling system.

Also, there is a chance you will always be filling while at speed. Let's say you empty the bags and are headed back. While you go, the water is coming thru the scupper under pressure; some of that may be diverted through the fill pumps and into the bags. Aerator pumps will let water flow through even if they are not on.

Every system has pros and cons. Personally, I would rather have a dedicated thru-hull with its own shut off valve.
Old     (lotoftime)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-02-2007, 6:26 PM Reply   
Thanks Rich, I will add that to my list of Cons.
I won't be filling while underway. I keep the boat in our boathouse and would just leave extra weight in the boat all the time but I hate to put the strain on the lift. I have been filling the sacs with a Huge jet pump we have on the dock, only take about 5 mins to grab an extra 2000lbs, but I would like to make the system self supporting.
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       07-02-2007, 9:29 PM Reply   
It sounds like your plan will work fine. Keep your intake pumps below the waterline to and they will stay primed. Rich is correct saying that some water may fill because of the pressure created by the scupper, but the any time you are underway the engine will be sucking its share of water so i dont think it will be much of an issue. Personaly when i add any additional component to a but i try to keep the new system as isolated from any existing hardware as possible. I know installing a thru hull just for your ballast may seem like unnessacary work, but it is not very hard. All boat manufacutures do it in their built in systems.
Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       07-03-2007, 6:50 AM Reply   
What ever you do, do not tap into your motor intake. You MUST install a seperate intake for your ballast system.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-03-2007, 7:04 AM Reply   
valve your fill lines. dedicate a thru hull to the fill pumps.
sounds like a good system.

I was thinking about how you could bring your shore pump into the system. It wouldn't make sense to do with fill pumps dedicated to each bag. however, If you design the system with a large fill pump and an intake manifold with valves to control flow, then you could fill with your shore pump and another large pump onboard.

a little different on the fill side, but you could one badass fill system if you design it right.
Old     (lotoftime)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-03-2007, 3:22 PM Reply   
Thanks for the help guys.
Have a safe 4th
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-04-2007, 9:36 AM Reply   
There is no problem tapping into your raw water pick up hose if you don't want to cut into your hull. I have seen many done this way. You must however have a shut off valve for the feed line to the ballast that remains closed when the engine is running, and as stated earlier, you won't be able to fill while the engine is running or while underway.
Old     (firemedic)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-04-2007, 1:51 PM Reply   
UMMMMM???? 1100 GPM, that's a lot of water. How about 1100GPH? Fire engines pump at 1500-2000 GPM. That would be a badass ballast pump though.
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       07-08-2007, 8:57 AM Reply   
Every one knows that these would be the ulitmate ballast pump

http://www.jabsco.com/products/marine/bilge_pumping_systems/engine_driven_clutch_pumps/index.htm

Engine driven self priming pumps that can push 60 gal per min.