Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-07-2011, 6:40 PM Reply   
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1102/11...on200400mm.asp
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-07-2011, 7:14 PM Reply   
^^^ Hell yeah I'm down for one, that puppy looks sweet.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-07-2011, 8:13 PM Reply   
I'd guess $7999.00 when it comes out!

Probably a little too much to handhold but I sure like the zoom range. As good as the 1.4X isI'll bet the IQ with a built in 1.4X is going to excellent, probably much better then the stand alone 1.4X, which is designed to work across a range of FLs. Wonder if it will take a 2X and AF at f8 like the 400DO.

That is one bad-ass lens, I like the bump where the TC resides!
Attached Images

Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-07-2011, 10:08 PM Reply   
Rich, I found this on FM:

"Taking measurements from the photos on the Japanese website, it would appear that the lens is approximately the same size as the current EF 500 f4. Length 15 inches, diameter 5.8 inches. Assuming a similar weight of 8.5 to 9 lbs. this will be a considerable chunk of metal and glass.".

Your right about hand holding it, it should come with a gym membership, haha. Should be a sweet birding lens.
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       02-09-2011, 1:46 PM Reply   
Count me in!!! WOW... I haven't heard anything about this lens. Looks sweet.

I'd stick with the 500 f4 for birds and use this puppy for mammals. I was thinking more like $7300.00 but I could see higher with the built in 1.4X extender. That is awesome. Does Nikon have an extender built into their 200-400 f4 or is this truly a unique innovation?

I was saving for the new 300 2.8 IS II and the 8-15 fisheye but this lens looks awesome. The 100-400 wasn't in the same league as the Nikon 200-400 IMO.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-09-2011, 5:18 PM Reply   
Rob, I read that both the IS & the 1.4 converter will be the new verson II. Nice!! All the "experts" on FM are guessing between $7,000 to $7,500. I'm definitely going to rent one to try out when they release it. It will cover a lot of ranges.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-09-2011, 8:22 PM Reply   
I doubt the built in extender on this new zoom has anything in common with the current 1.4X III. I would think this is a unique setup completely designed around the optical path of this lens only. If this is successful they may add it to all their superteles at some point. Nikon has no such animal I'm aware of in their tele line.

I did read that there are currently some high end video lenses that incorporate a similar feature.

The lens does look rather big but may not be too bad weight wise if it's similar to the other superteles recently introduced which are substantially lighter then their original counterparts.