Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (kawaik)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-26-2007, 10:33 PM Reply   
ok so i just got done talking to my parentals about the boat that they purchased this last summer. it is an 07 tige 22ve. i was gone when the purchase was made but when word reached me i was super stoked. it was a huge upgrade from the yamaha jet boat we had purchased before i left. i just recently got back and since it was already winter i have had nothing to do but dream of getting to ride on and behind the new boat but from what i just heard it sounds like it isn't all quite sugarplums yet. there are a couple problems that my parents have had with the boat and since they have found no help from the dealer where they bought the boat i figured i would come to you guys seeing as you have yet to fail me. first i was told that the balast on the right side is problematic at best. it is usually slow to fill and sometimes doesn't fill at all. next the display for the perfect pass will sometimes not display. now when they went to the dealer to get these things taken care of they were no less than disappointed to find that the test on the balast involved hooking a hose to the intake and turning it on. i am no rocket scientist but my elementary education would say that that is in no way going to give the same result as a boat sitting in water with the pump turned on. they were equally frustrated to learn that when an attempt was made at turning on the perfect pass it was discovered that all was working well. now i don't want to sound like the ungrateful child who has to have everything his way and i also don't want to nitpick but i am of the opinion that when someone invests so much money in something they should at least have the peace of mind that they are getting what they paid for and if not that they should rest assured that they are in good hands and will be taken care of. i would love it if anyone has any solutions to the above stated problems other than the fact that i am whiny. that can't be cured. sorry for the long post. thanks a grundle.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-26-2007, 11:09 PM Reply   
On the grand scheme of things don't be worried at all. Those are very very minor problems. Welcome to the life of being a boat owner. Ballast pumps drive people nuts. Like any new vehicle some things are going to happen and require service. The ballst pump thing should be checked in the water for sure. Firing a hose up there is assanine indeed. Sounds like possibly a bad seal or a bad impellar easy to check on your own if you have to. As to the pp thing sounds like a loose ground or wire.

I agree with you in that they are not helping you out at all and they are giving you sub-par service for sure. You def should be getting service after a purchase like that, but I can tell you from experience not every dealership is the same. So unfortunately that is dealer related and a hard thing to fix.

Just don't worry too much. like i said those are very minor problems in the realm of things that are experienced by every boat owner at one point or another. I would be more worried about the dealer service. Don't hesitate to mention that to the guy who sold you the boat. Usually service and sales are 2 separate entities and see what he can/is willing to do for you.
Old     (kawaik)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-26-2007, 11:29 PM Reply   
yeah apparently that difference between sales and service is the biggest letdown. they were saying that the people were nothing if not helpful when they were making the purchase but now it is just the opposite. i told them they just need to take me with them the next time they make the trip to the dealer because i am hardly the pushover that both my ma and pa have become. at the same time i feel that while i may get these problems fixed i will only hedge up the way for future help. if i could take repeated kicks to the groin to have everything just taken care of i think i would have a hard decision at hand.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-27-2007, 7:41 AM Reply   
Did you by this boat from the new Tige dealer in UT, or from Taylor's. The new dealer may be new to tow boats and going through some growing pains. If bought as a left over from the old dealer, they have no real incentive to fix, IMO.

Ballast: Some of the 07 did have a vapor lock problem in the pump manifold. Temporary fix - try filling front sac first, also move a few peeps to the front, this will get the bow down and allow the trapped air to burp back out the transom intake. Also drive in revers with pumps on, this will force the air out of the manifold through the pumps. Permanent fix - reposition the manifold so it is lower then the intake, this will allow the air to purge when boat is launched.

Next, can you confirm whether this boat has the round Perfect Pass control(not available from factory on 07's so may be dealer installed) or the factory Speed-Set that uses the LCD display on the main gauges.

Congrats on the new boat. If the dealer continues to be a prob, call Tige @ 1-325-676-8570, and they can help you get ahold of your area Rep.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-27-2007, 8:35 AM Reply   
Forgot to add, go to www.tigeowners.com and you will find lots of help and great info also. There are not only owners, but Dealers, service managers, techs, and a couple of Tige factory people that post on a regular basis
Old    killen1970            12-27-2007, 8:47 AM Reply   
Definitely post your problem on www.tigeowners.com Dom from Forte's is often on there with posts. He is really one of the knowledgable guys I have met in this industry and works on every boat out there he is PCM, Inmar, Merc certified etc. He is the Tige dealer in Tampa/St Pete.

(Message edited by killen1970 on December 27, 2007)
Old     (kawaik)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-27-2007, 6:18 PM Reply   
mike thanks for the info. i the boat was purchased from taylor. the cruise control is the factory speed set. my mistake. as i mentioned earlier i have not had the opportunity to see these problems firsthand but my parents did say they were told to drive in reverse and it did not have the desired effect of getting the ballast filled as fast as the other side. i don't know about the whole weight distribution idea i will have to ask on that. excuse my limited knowledge of boat fixing but is it a pretty complicated procedure to get the manifold lower than the intake? thanks again for the responses. i am gonna check out tigeowners.com.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-27-2007, 6:39 PM Reply   
The New Tige dealer in the Salt Lake area is Wasatch Marine. May want to give them a call.

http://www.wasatchmarine.com/
Old     (kawaik)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-27-2007, 6:59 PM Reply   
just did some reading on tigeowners. sounds like the pump should be the high point of the system. again i am a newb with this stuff so i am just going with the consensus. it seems like some of the dudes have done some pretty extensive tinkering so i guess they have some cred to their ideas.
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-28-2007, 7:44 AM Reply   
They have more than "some" cred....
Old     (zeda)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-29-2007, 9:35 AM Reply   
raging jerbul....I'm on my second boat from Taylors. The first was a Tige. I had a few issues with it and Taylors was pretty good at taking care of me. Try not to complain about a $50K or $60K boat needing to be perfect because of the significant investment. They have heard that before and will appreciate your understanding that all new boats are prone to minor issues. Even the really expensive MasterCrafts and high quality Nautiques have minor issues. Taylors should be willing to service the boat even if they don't sell them anymore. I would ask them to replace the pump and check all wiring in the speed set. Do it now while the service department is slow. Come spring, all service departments will be slammed with getting boats out of storage and summarizing them. They will appreciate the off-season work and should take the time to get things right. Try to time your work before the boat show in February because that's when they get busy again.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-29-2007, 3:24 PM Reply   
Raging Jerbul- i didn't read everything that everyone else suggested but with the ballast issue i think i know what your problem is. on the fill hoses from the pumpes to the tanks if those hoses make a little bit of a drop at all the pumpes wont be able to pump the water through the rest of the hose. the hose needs to be constantly going strait or on an up curve at all times. i just recently had the same problem on the same boat as yours. it was to the left rear tanks so i cut out about 3 inches of the hose to take pretty much all the slack out of it. i've never had a problem with the perfect pass like the one that you are having. sometimes its hard for the dealer to lake test the boats. if the lake isn't around 15 mins away they don't have time to take every boat out to the lake.
Old     (davee22ve)      Join Date: Nov 2007       12-29-2007, 7:53 PM Reply   
I own a 06 22ve It does not have ballast but as Ryan Lacefield said if your fill tubes are not perfectly straight they will air lock and wont fill. Tige will take care of you I gurantee because I have a very amazing story behind mine but it sounds as though your dealer is not near what my dealer is. I had a problem with the speed control as well but mine would just shut the whole boat down to an idle and you had to shut the ignition off and back on if you wanted to move the boat above idle which really sucked if someone was in the middle of an invert when it happend. My dealer picked my boat up on monday and droped it off on friday so I could use it this went on for about two months before they called tige and made them fix the problem.(and thats only half the story) So dont worry it will be taken care of just stay after your dealer.
Old     (kawaik)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-30-2007, 7:36 PM Reply   
hey thanks for the help guys. sorry for my moaning n stuff but again we are kinda new to the whole boat scene. those are some really good suggestions. sounds like the whole slack in the hose is going to be the fix. ya'll are awesome.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-30-2007, 10:07 PM Reply   
David,

how about sharing that info about your ballast over on www.tigeowners.com A couple of owners were having the same issue. Thanks

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4026&highlight=ballast+pump+fill