Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       10-05-2013, 6:05 AM Reply   
if average retail on an 08 Malibu VLX 21 is 48 ( I think is high ) how much would you be willing to pay for one with a new engine and interior ? The common answer would be "it's worth what someone is willing to pay"
Old     (v10rider)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-05-2013, 7:12 AM Reply   
Sometimes those 2 may not be a plus in this case. Why would an 08 need a new engine and interior? Most folks would think it's a sign of neglect.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-05-2013, 7:16 AM Reply   
I was thinking the same thing. An engine could be a number of things..Mechanical failure, improper winterization, neglect. But interior in a 5 year old boat? A 2008 shouldn't have needed interior or an engine. Find out why. How many hours are on the boat? Does it show signs of being ragged out?

I wouldn't pay any more than any other 2008.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-05-2013, 7:27 AM Reply   
I would want to know more about what they mean by "new interior". They probably just mean they replaced the vinyl which I can see as great.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       10-05-2013, 7:44 AM Reply   
the boat belongs to an avid rider, he rides with around 3000lbs, and put 1,300hrs on it, the interior is decent but has some wear witch is normal and you also have the FL sun, the interior does not really need to be done, I just thought it would add some value if I decide to take this on as a winter project
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-05-2013, 8:06 AM Reply   
is the engine "done" at 1300 hours?

new factory legit malibu interior might add a little value.... might. And certainly not a dollar for dollar return unless the current interior is beyond help (in which case you should be getting the boat for a song). there's a guy named chee who you can find out about on themailbucrew.com who used to work at malibu and who can get you a whole legit set of "new" skins for any malibu based on the hull id number.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-05-2013, 11:10 AM Reply   
I thought I heard between 2000 and 3000 hours before you need a rebuild. But would like to other opinions on engine hours. And of course it highly depends on frequency of the oil changes.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-06-2013, 7:19 AM Reply   
Boat should not be done with 1300 hours if maintained. 2000 hours is the number most throw out there.

From what you have said I would say the boat is worth LESS than market value. The guy ran the boat HARD and sounds like didn't take the best care of it. 1300 on a 08 is way high and certainly reduces the value.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       10-06-2013, 8:47 AM Reply   
I'm going to take a closer look at it tomorrow, the last time I rode with him (last summer) it was in good shape.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-06-2013, 8:49 AM Reply   
Another question is, who did the engine? Is it a Malibu/Indmar(??) install or is it someone who took a new block from wherever and put the parts on it? Warranty would be important to me with a rebuilt engine and knowing who and what was done to it... ensuring it is what it was when it was new.

If it was neglected, I'd question the whole drive train. New engine? What was done to ensure the transmission and v-drive unit were up to snuff?

The hour question is really a judgement call on anyones part... Even running with weight I think you can get an engine to last well beyond the 1500-2000 mark, it just depends how it is treated, is it propped right or does it lug to get on plane? Oil changes, transmission and vdrive changes. Was it ever overheated (same for tranny)... There are just a lot of questions and I guess I agree with RB, unless you know the answer to every question you can think of, it should be worth 3-5k LESS than market value because you should automatically assume that something could go wrong - like the transmission or the engine, which would be a couple thousand dollars and down time to replace...
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       10-06-2013, 12:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
is the engine "done" at 1300 hours?

new factory legit malibu interior might add a little value.... might. And certainly not a dollar for dollar return unless the current interior is beyond help (in which case you should be getting the boat for a song). there's a guy named chee who you can find out about on themailbucrew.com who used to work at malibu and who can get you a whole legit set of "new" skins for any malibu based on the hull id number.
thanks man, I'll keep ya posted !
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-06-2013, 1:25 PM Reply   
I think a 2008 VLX with 1300 hours is worth at most 40K and probably closer to 35k even if it has newer vinyl and a new engine.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-06-2013, 1:40 PM Reply   
Is Drew taking this in on trade for an(his) MB??
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       10-07-2013, 5:11 AM Reply   
no the MB will be getting some use this winter unless someone has to have it, and the way I'm seeing it is, this is a turn the clock back and start over, it doesn't mater what the last owner did with it, the hull / graphics, windsheild , tower, power wedge, stereo, new zero off, etc is good, so the boat has good bones, and I am going to add, a new Indmar and trans (does not need the trans but we can use this one on another boat) with warranty, new skins, and new carpet, I am confident it will go fast at 45 with new skins and a new engine/trans with warranty, not a rebuild. Thanks for the input and keep it coming, now I need to see if I can put the deal together
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-07-2013, 6:23 AM Reply   
So your looking at buying the thing for like 25-30K?
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       10-08-2013, 7:36 AM Reply   
New engine and interior on an almost brand new boat? Did it sink? Red flags! Lots of electronics and computer stuff on new boats, I wouldn't gamble with one that has had all the wiring and electrical wet. May be worth less than one with more typical wear and tear and however many hours on the driveline if there's any reason to believe this one went under.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-08-2013, 8:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
New engine and interior on an almost brand new boat? Did it sink? Red flags! Lots of electronics and computer stuff on new boats, I wouldn't gamble with one that has had all the wiring and electrical wet. May be worth less than one with more typical wear and tear and however many hours on the driveline if there's any reason to believe this one went under.
This sounds like a buy and resell. He knows the owner, doesn't sound like its been sunk, just beat on.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-08-2013, 10:27 AM Reply   
45k is pretty optomistic I think, given that the 2008 is the "old" hull, and you can score a 2011+ vride for around the same price with the G3 tower. To each his own tho.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       10-08-2013, 1:29 PM Reply   
haha, no the boat has not sunk, sank, looked at the boat and it's really in good shape, still runs but the owner had it serviced and the compression results said it was going. I am still scratching my head on it, seems like 48 is the average listing price on these 08s with 400 avg hrs
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-09-2013, 3:27 AM Reply   
I would think it would move quickly at 43. The winter time holding your money you'll want to recoup it quickly.Plus with New engine and skins,customers will be concerned as to why.Sounds like the owner knows it was rode hard and left in the Florida sun! LOL