Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Find A Third/Be A Third

Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-15-2011, 11:26 PM Reply   
Name:  IMG_4886.jpg
Views: 2475
Size:  93.3 KB

Thought it was long past due for a thread for the people who consider Lake Powell a home or second home.

THIRDS, FOURTHS, ETC. WELCOME! ...OR... WE CAN BE YOURS
If ever anyone is near Wahweap or Antelope Point Marinas we would be happy to have you join us or for us to join you. Typically we go weekends

A buddy of mine and myself are locals to the area and consider Lake Powell, home. Ironically, we find it very difficult to find dedicated riders in Page AZ besides ourselves. We don't let this stop us, but we don't stop looking either. Even if we have to put up fliers at work and ask random people from Lone Rock Beach to join us to be our third, we'll do it.

Just a few Pics taking advantage of what Powell has to offer
Name:  IMG_1685.jpg
Views: 2399
Size:  54.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1770.jpg
Views: 2468
Size:  87.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1804.jpg
Views: 3940
Size:  61.9 KB

WATER WATER WATER
Lake Powell is rising a foot a day!
This year will be a great year for Lake Powell. As some of you know, Lake Powell will fill to expected elevation that has not been seen in over a decade. It was a celebrated day when Castle Rock Cut opened a few years back, but this year Castle Rock may be an island once more. The only (tinny) bad news about all this water is that the water temp has been about 5 degrees behind schedule this spring with all that cold spring runoff dumping into the lake.
check this: http://www.usbr.gov/uc/water/crsp/cs/gcd.html
and of course there is the good ol' http://lakepowell.water-data.com/ site as well.

I see great things for Lake Powell wake in the near foreseeable future. Wakeboarding was unpopular from a local stand point when I started a little over a decade ago. The past couple years this notion has disappeared and wakeboarding started to really be recognized and represented. Things are looking up for the local scene to get more involved. Hopefully we can play catch-up and really turn Page AZ around to see the Lake in the same ways as the guys of "Spray" and "May Day" did and do.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-20-2011, 8:35 AM Reply   
Not something you see every day
Attached Images

Old     (adrien)      Join Date: Oct 2009       06-22-2011, 8:23 PM Reply   
LeRoy must have become really bored with regular waterskiing to decide to try and ride a six foot ladder. He told me he started out riding a step stool and progressively went bigger and bigger over 14 years.

Here is the youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmY0Z6r0E7E
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-05-2011, 10:09 PM Reply   
4th of July (weekend) turned out better than expected.
The launch ramp parking lots were packed, even a few trailers were parked on the side of the road coming into the marina. We felt confident that we would all get at least one set each with "decent water" because we were hitting the water at 5am, the earliest possible launch time. To our surprise, we had possibly the BEST water yet this season. There was no other boat in the bay way chose till about 9am. the bay did not become "too choppy" till about 11. Was everyone partying too hard the night before? was everyone further up lake? Beats me... but it turned out great and did not feel like a holiday weekend at all.

Another great thing about this weekend was that I finally was able to turn things around and dial back in my tumbleturns that have been escaping me. Cant remember the last time i laughed so triumphantly. gota love landing (or re-landing) new tricks! Also we all had a good run each dedicated to switch riding.

sorry, no pics this week
... as for the previous week, our thirds bailed... but we still went out later for a beach day with family and kiddos.
Come join us if your in the area.
Old     (mannythekid)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-23-2011, 9:58 AM Reply   
Anyone riding then? Advice on the best place to rent a boat, go cliff jumping, any other ridiculous activities we should get involved in? A buddy and I will be coming through Powell on a cross-country trip with a jeep wrangler and a kite board, and are interested in any and all good times that can be had with that equipment. Any help or advice will be gladly reciprocated if you ever make it out to Lake Wallenpaupack, PA, nantucket/cape cod, or the connecticut coast. Thanks in advance!

-Pat
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-30-2011, 7:16 PM Reply   
lake powell has peaked out in elevation. hope we have another good runn-off next year.
good day of wake too. finally have some pics and vid that will post later hopefully
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-09-2011, 11:10 AM Reply   
Some video frame shots of my tumble turn and a nice flexy tail SSPPRRAAYY

Name:  Tumble Turn.JPG
Views: 2329
Size:  45.7 KB

Name:  Flex Spray.JPG
Views: 2316
Size:  32.7 KB

My 6'6" brother who gets to wakeboard about 2 times a year. Pretty good considering if you ask me

Name:  IMG_8091.jpg
Views: 2112
Size:  92.3 KB

Name:  IMG_8092.jpg
Views: 2136
Size:  84.3 KB
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-20-2011, 5:01 PM Reply   
pics from today and a few from the Antelope point 3rd annual wakeboard rail park comp
Attached Images

Old     (chevboy171)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-24-2011, 11:43 PM Reply   
If someone happened to have room on their boat on Friday or Saturday @ Wahweap/lone rock, I would love to join! I can throw down some gas money and a boat wipedown of course.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-25-2011, 9:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevboy171 View Post
If someone happened to have room on their boat on Friday or Saturday @ Wahweap/lone rock, I would love to join! I can throw down some gas money and a boat wipedown of course.
going antelope point marina friday afternoon. not sure if the place will work for ya. i will have to double check with my buddy to see if we full or not.
but you can always walk the beach at lone rock and ask the people there. i have done it plenty of times and most times it works
Old     (chevboy171)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-27-2011, 9:50 AM Reply   
Thanks! I had a change of plans and didn't make it up that way this weekend like i'd hoped but I'm gonna try and make it up there before the season is over.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-29-2011, 11:11 PM Reply   
you still got some time.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-31-2011, 2:27 PM Reply   
Was curious if you Powell riders knew the current status of the cable park being built at antelope. Were gonna be up there this weekend(shipping out to rock creek bay) and was wondering if its up n running yet.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-01-2011, 9:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by durty_curt View Post
Was curious if you Powell riders knew the current status of the cable park being built at antelope. Were gonna be up there this weekend(shipping out to rock creek bay) and was wondering if its up n running yet.
have not been out there in over a week, but i do know that the second tower is complete, but is up at dry-storage and has not yet been installed. i heard they were shooting to get it up by laborday weekend, but that there were no promises and could likely be delayed. so far every deadline mentioned has been delayed.

however, the first tower IS up and running like a winch and sometimes they will pull out the stops and just use the jetski to pull.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTLHlA8INbA
video from this years "grinch winch comp" even though there was no grinch winch. hahaha.
Old     (uncledaddy)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-06-2011, 7:19 PM Reply   
Flying into the area next week and I have never been to Powell before. Will be there Wednesday the 12th. Anyone going to be in the area? If not, do you have suggestions on where I can rent a boat or jet ski to see the lake?
Thanks.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-06-2011, 11:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncledaddy View Post
Flying into the area next week and I have never been to Powell before. Will be there Wednesday the 12th. Anyone going to be in the area? If not, do you have suggestions on where I can rent a boat or jet ski to see the lake?
Thanks.
assuming you are flying into PAGE ARIZONA, you will have two convenient locations to rent from. Wahweap Marina and Antelope Point Marina. I will likely not be available that day.

check my comment on this thread for additional ideas and things to do nearby. some of the things mentioned in my response in the thread are of course for a road trip to page, so ignore those except for maybe "the toadstools" and "horseshoe bend" etc.
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=790050

feel free to ask more questions if u got em
Old     (boarderbruce)      Join Date: Jul 2011       10-10-2011, 7:16 PM Reply   
Myself and another wakeboarder are interested, do you have room for two more this weekend?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-13-2011, 8:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderbruce View Post
Myself and another wakeboarder are interested, do you have room for two more this weekend?
PM sent
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       02-29-2012, 7:25 PM Reply   
DC ~ It's up and running homi... I got a chance to session it on New Years day. They still didn't have it programed but that shiz worked great. I don't think they will have it up and running till they go into full swing of things again. I've been talking with them on what they should put in the water for fun times. Going to be a kick ass summer with this cable up and running.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-29-2012, 8:32 PM Reply   
yeah boi!!!! i cannot wait to get back out there and experience the pure awesomeness!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-29-2012, 11:00 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=JRDEu0aLys4
Old     (JustinMD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       03-02-2012, 10:53 PM Reply   
That hydrofoiler was pretty good.
Old     (JustinMD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       03-15-2012, 4:29 PM Reply   
Going to Powell next weekend to ride with this guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9x0wFQi8LQ
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-16-2012, 1:09 AM Reply   
Looks fun! Where you launching from and camping?
Old     (JustinMD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       03-16-2012, 8:12 AM Reply   
Staying at my brothers house in Page. Probably launch from AP.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-16-2012, 10:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinMD View Post
Going to Powell next weekend to ride with this guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9x0wFQi8LQ
sweet stuff.
getting so antsy to ride
Old     (FoilPowell)      Join Date: Mar 2012       05-06-2012, 12:37 PM Reply   
I need a third! foilpowell@gmail.com
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-06-2012, 9:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoilPowell View Post
I need a third! foilpowell@gmail.com
PM sent
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-23-2012, 12:44 AM Reply   
Footage that i waited a year to edit...
but better late than never... eh?
Crazy Old Lake Powell local that rides on a 6 ft ladder on a table top!!!

http://youtu.be/jMrCvFpNFb8

Last edited by wakerider111; 05-23-2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-23-2012, 10:31 AM Reply   
try again to embed
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-23-2012, 10:50 AM Reply   
All i could think about was how bad that would hurt if that ladder slipped off the table while you're hands were through it or something and landed on that thing. ouuuuuchhhh... that's awesome though. I couldn't do that at all hahah
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-09-2012, 8:37 AM Reply   
Came home dry today

maybe some unknown emergency forced a no show no call???

Non-Smoking (or at least can last a half day with out puffin'), Sober, Reliable Thirds... WHERE ARE YOU!?
There are soo few.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-27-2012, 10:59 AM Reply   
last weekend pics. finally got some pics. i am horrible at remembering the camera and even more horrible to remind someone to use one. soo glad i got some pics
Not too bad for an I/O wake ehh?
had a full boat (6 peeps) for a change (normally i struggle to find thirds) and wake was biggest ever on this particular boat (no ballast)
Attached Images

Old     (FoilPowell)      Join Date: Mar 2012       09-16-2012, 7:32 AM Reply   
@ Jeremy Byrom-Dude? I don't smoke or drink and have a Supreme with a tower. Why would you not contact me? Guess you didn't really want to ride. Been riding all summer here on Powell. Oh well.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-16-2012, 10:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoilPowell View Post
@ Jeremy Byrom-Dude? I don't smoke or drink and have a Supreme with a tower. Why would you not contact me? Guess you didn't really want to ride. Been riding all summer here on Powell. Oh well.
That sounds fantastic.
I sent you a message a while back when you were looking for thirds here and on facebook but i am not sure if you ever got it.
I have been riding all summer too... but then again "all summer can be a subjective phrase." once every week more like it, most times on saturdays.

all summer i have been helping a budy of mine fix up a nautique 226 team edition and we got her out on the water last week. just yesterday was the second outing and it was awesome. i need to get more pics and maybe video posted.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-16-2012, 11:03 PM Reply   
I must also say that this year has been the best year ever for finding thirds. FINALLY
in ten plus years that i have wakeboarded i have never had the problem of turning people away because i had too many peeps.

my frustrated message that i posted here about coming home dry was probably the last time i had a problem finding thirds. and as i thought, some emergency did keep him from showing up.

anyway, my thirds pool is getting smaller again because all my reliables went back to school, military, or just plain moved away or will be moving. bumber. so i am back to a small crew of passionate riders.