Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old    ngthing            05-30-2002, 9:29 PM Reply   
hey guys, got any tips? I can rotate just fine but my hands keep getting caught. :-) thanks!
Old     (suprarider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-10-2002, 12:19 PM Reply   
I have the same problem, the rope always seems to
hang up under the board and I smack my fingers on the rail, ouch.
I guess we should really be doing a HS front flip
instead of a roll and this would solve the problem...anyone else have any experience with this?? Oh yes, I've also smacked my chin on my knee once...
Old     (ndh2o)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-10-2002, 12:36 PM Reply   
Am I missing something? What are you calling a HS frontroll? And what are your hands getting caught on?
Old     (suprarider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-11-2002, 8:08 AM Reply   
I rode with Mike Weddington and he agreed that it was a heelside front roll, your board goes rail over rail, not end over end like a front flip.
The rope sometimes ends up under the front of the board, I know it sounds impossible...
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-11-2002, 9:36 AM Reply   
you are talking about a mexican backroll
Old     (suprarider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-12-2002, 6:50 AM Reply   
Nope, that's when you throw your head down towards your trailing shoulder, not up towards your lead shoulder while doing a regular HS back roll - as in setting up for a KGB.
This is a forward front rotation.
Old     (ndh2o)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-12-2002, 8:16 AM Reply   
I think from that description, you were correct earlier in saying that you should be doing HS front flips. I personally have never seen or heard of a HS front roll, but there are alot of things I have never seen or heard of.
Old    steveaz            06-12-2002, 1:26 PM Reply   
I think there is a lot of confusion on this one. Myself included. I'll try and explain. I'm goofy (right foot forward) so keep that in mind.

If I come in to the wake h/s and put my head on my trailing shoulder or peck (left side of the rope)...that's a mexican backroll.

If I come into the wake h/s, pop, pull the rope to my waist, put my head on my lead peck or shoulder (right side of the rope) and the board rotates rail over rail...that's an improperly thrown H/S front flip and is nothing. Sucks cause I can land this trick.

If I come in to the wake h/s, pop, put my right ear on my right shoulder and get the board to rotate nose over tail, that's a properly thrown H/S front flip....that I can't do

If I come into the wake, turn my shoulders parallel to the wake, let go with my trailing hand, put my head to the middle of my chest, and rotate rail over rail (like a tantrum but opposite rotation), that's a h/s frontroll.

Am I right, does that make since? They do this (I can't remember the rider) both in Monkey on String and My House.
Old    jwpimp            06-12-2002, 1:51 PM Reply   
I think that what you said would actually be a hs back-roll and you just let go of the rope really early. I was thinking like what you ARE landing would be a hs frontroll also. Granted it's supposed to be comming out as a hs front flip, but if your rotating forward, and the board goes rail over rail, you front rollin. And if you start off hs, that would be a hs frontroll. I saw a clip where either Byerly or Necrason did this and landed switch. It kind of looks like it should be a front flip to revert, but that board is going rail ro rail as much as can be.

(Message edited by jwpimp on June 12, 2002)
Old     (ndh2o)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-13-2002, 5:59 AM Reply   
Personally, I think that if your back is facing the wake and you rotate forward this is still a mexican backroll (opposite rotation tantrum). If you come in HS, turn your shoulders toward the wake (FS) in the air first, then do a front roll rotation, that would be a HS frontroll. This would be like a rail over rail "front flip". The way your body is positioned, it seems like it would be natural to land revert. Just my thoughts.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-14-2002, 5:09 AM Reply   
Joe U where are U :-) Tell these people there is no such trick in anybodies book or list called a HS front roll.What you are doing is like others said its actually called a Frantrum,hybrid bastard trick, where you start wanting to do a Front Flip but turn over half way through and come out of the vert landing like a tantrum..It can be a mexi roll but ive seen a friend do them like steve is doing them and he lands them everytime but its not a front roll or a flip just and accident trick.Its all good though if you go upside down and land and ride away more power too ya br0..Its all about fun not names anyway :-)

Old    ngthing            08-15-2002, 3:02 PM Reply   
well, , i just found this post...i landed this yesterday, i guess it's acutally a hs back roll. it's funny, because i was going to try a tantrum, i dropped my lead hand, rotated, and i landed it. it's such a great feeling to land, and find out that you're STILL up :-)

Old    ngthing            08-16-2002, 5:04 PM Reply   
well i went out again today, and the trick i'm sticking is a heelside front roll...i swear it ;)