Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (premierwake136)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-09-2007, 7:46 PM Reply   
what kind of swim platforms do you prefer
teak, fiberglass or other
i like teak because you can slide off of it, scrach it with your fins or even run it into a dock and not have to replace it
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-09-2007, 7:49 PM Reply   
Teak all the way. Fiberglass is cheaper for the manufacturer. Also, treated right, teak will last a lifetime. Fiberglass will chip easily, especially with all the boards dropped on it. My first time on a fiberglass platform was on a demo boat with few hours. Already, I could see spots where the gelcoat chipped off.
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-09-2007, 8:31 PM Reply   
I love my fiberglass platform, it is huge, and the top is covered with some sort soft grip. I don't worry one bit about boards on it, plus i like the look, it matches the boat.
Old     (amazongb)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-09-2007, 8:32 PM Reply   
fiberglass - nothing to oil, and much lighter to remove and store etc.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-09-2007, 9:13 PM Reply   
Nothing looks better than a well-maintained teak deck. The catch is taking the time and effort to keep it looking good.
Old     (tonysdad)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-09-2007, 11:42 PM Reply   
Teak all the way...a little more work but worth it.

Upload
Old     (johns)      Join Date: Sep 2000       07-10-2007, 6:41 AM Reply   
Teak for sure!! The new CC don't have them as an option so I am going to do find an older teak deck and make it fit.
Old     (scwellman)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-10-2007, 9:51 AM Reply   
Teak, Teak, Teak, nuff said (IMO)
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-10-2007, 9:55 AM Reply   
How hard is oiling? I put a light coat on every few weeks, or any time it starts to look greyed and scuffed. My Pro-V has a large teak deck and it takes less than 5 minutes to rub a new coat of oil.

Even if neglected for long periods of time, it doesn't take much effort to give it a light sanding and/or cleaning and hit it with some oil. Good as new.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-10-2007, 11:17 AM Reply   
putting a teak swim platform on a new boat is like putting a wood bumper on a Ferrari. New boats just look to nice to be stuck with an old fashioned teak platform. Fiberglass all the way. With the padding they put on top of them there are no worries about chipping.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-10-2007, 12:13 PM Reply   
Fiberglass chips, fades and the black rubber crap drys out and always gets on your feet and then all over the boat. Fiberglass looks great the day you bring it home, but thats the end of it. Teak will take a beating and will always look good without a visit to the fiberglass shop.
My .05 worth (inflation)
Old     (johns)      Join Date: Sep 2000       07-10-2007, 12:15 PM Reply   
Can't wait to put a wood bumper on my 236
Old     (rzrich)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-10-2007, 12:32 PM Reply   
^^ Long as you use teak it should look great...one more vote for teak.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-10-2007, 12:44 PM Reply   
I've had both. With 75hrs on my 'glass one it only has some scratches. No chips. We use the boat all the time and don't baby the step. I like it better than the Teak.
TEAK
pro - looks nice
con - harder to maintain, smaller than fiberglass

FIBERGLASS
pro - little or no maintenance, large
cons - will show scratches over time
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-10-2007, 12:44 PM Reply   
I've owned boats with both and will never go back to teak. I agree they look good on older boats when maintained. Im with Tings-newer boats just look better with fiberglass IMO
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-10-2007, 12:50 PM Reply   
Depends on the boat, some boats look horrible with teak. Teak's are haevy as hell if you ever have to remove it, which you will to maintian it correctly. I've had both and like the fiberglass much better.
Old     (longgonebon)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-10-2007, 1:27 PM Reply   
fiberglass all the way. I think it looks way better for one.. Teak makes a boat look dated IMO.
I also like the rubber stuff on the top of the deck, and the fact I don't have to do anything to it to keep it up, as well it is lighter/easier to remove.
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-10-2007, 2:50 PM Reply   
My issue with teak is this, my teak platform on my 86 ski nautique sits in the water ALL the time when the boat is at the dock. At the beginning of the season I sanded my platform and re-teaked it with 5 coats of teak and 3 months into the season the platform is back to white. Thats my issue with teak. If my platform stayed out of the water for long enough to make it worth it I would continue to put oil on it.

I think that the key for teak in my case is to keep it clean because when its in the water the teak looks great, heres a picture
Upload
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-10-2007, 2:52 PM Reply   
Teak
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-10-2007, 3:07 PM Reply   
Erik - Just hit the top of your deck with teak oil once every few weeks. In the photo it's up enough to do that. It's not going to hurt the bottom side to spend the season un-oiled...and you can hit the top with a rag and some oil in just a few minutes. The whole sanding routine is not needed for regular oiling.

Either way, that's the beauty of teak. You don't *need* to baby it. Let it spend the season in there, so what if it gets a little ashy...it's relatively simple to make it look as good as new. Teak is extremely durable in water, I think people overthink the care of teak because it's so expensive.
Old    mendo247            07-10-2007, 3:10 PM Reply   
Ive been thinking of changing mine out to fiberglass cause i like the color match... But i think ill keep my teak after this thread..

Anybody stain their teak black?
Old    bocephus            07-10-2007, 3:26 PM Reply   

quote:

By Billy (woreout) on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 12:13 pm:

Fiberglass chips, fades and the black rubber crap drys out and always gets on your feet and then all over the boat. Fiberglass looks great the day you bring it home, but thats the end of it. Teak will take a beating and will always look good without a visit to the fiberglass shop.
My .05 worth (inflation)

How many of you guys that are bagging fiberglass have a Nautique? The platform on my Nautique is way heavier than any teak platform, has a nice stainless trim around the outside and only has a couple scratches from boneheads sliding their boards off it. My buddy has a boat with a teak platform and he takes care of it but it has lots of wear on it. I don't think a Nautique platform will chip or crack.

Ya, I know a bunch of you guys will say that your teak won't scratch when a bonehead slides his board off it, but that is BS. I have seen several deep scratches in the teak platform from peoples fins. Yes, you can oil your teak every six months, but I can take my fiberglass step to the fiberglass man and it will look new for another 2 years. The rubber on my step doesn't get all over you either, maybe it's just Nautique!
Old     (nc05lsv)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-10-2007, 3:34 PM Reply   
I just think the fiberglass platforms look better. It does scratch but my buddy has a nice teak platform with a gash in it from a surfboard. Personal preference
Old     (flip360)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-10-2007, 4:09 PM Reply   
Have had both and cant decide only have had fiberglass this season but like the maintains on fiberglass.

All have been Nautiques
Old     (holloway0105)      Join Date: May 2007       07-11-2007, 5:46 AM Reply   
07 XStar,,,,teak platform! Not against the fiberglass, but the teak is executive!
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-11-2007, 7:05 AM Reply   
Boqueefass, how many boats do you have? You are right about the fiberglass being heavier than teak. Maybe your platform doesnt get scratched from boards because CC's 210 platform is sooo small. I find most damage to platforms comes from the sun and docks not wakeboards. The SS rubrail around your CC platform looks good until one of those screws holding it on grabs your shorts when sliding off of it. Platforms are just a utilitarian part of a boat that gets beat up no matter what. Teak or glass is pure opinion and preference.
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-11-2007, 10:20 AM Reply   
teak
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-11-2007, 12:02 PM Reply   
Bo - gotta agree. Mine has a few scratches but nothing to complain about and I doubt it will ever chip unless it got backed into something. Mine is so heavy it takes 2 people to remove/install/manhandle. Glass all the way after messing with 2 boats that had Teak.

Billy - CC's step is bigger than a picnic table. Twice as big as those on the other boat MFGs that I ride behind. You could boot up 2 people on my glass one. As for the SS screws....... it'd be difficult to rip your shorts on them. You'd have to ty to do it.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-11-2007, 12:25 PM Reply   
notidad, I agree the 211 has a big platform, I said the "210" 2006 models and back, were small. I think thats the boat bocrackass has or at least I know hes a San 210 nut. Those SS screws on my buddys 05 211 are always snagging towels or sponges when he washes it. Oh well glass looks better on newer boats but the "old school" in me likes the Teak.
Old     (faceplanter69)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-11-2007, 12:27 PM Reply   
Teak

My buddy that owns the BU dealer ship sums it up like this. Fiberglass for the boat show only... He never recommends any of his customers to get fiberglass when they order their boats after the show.

Personally, my teak platform has lots of scratches but I couldn't care less. It's wood, it actually look better with a little bit of ware and tare!! Throw some teak oil on the platform every month in the summer and it's all good. You don't need to sand it down everytime.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-11-2007, 12:43 PM Reply   
Paper or Plastic?
Old     (jules)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-11-2007, 1:13 PM Reply   
I have a '05 SAN and I don't think that the platform really needs to be any bigger than what it has. Really, how bigga' boy are ya?! There is plenty of room for me and my board. That being said, I prefer teak... But to each his own...
Old    bocephus            07-11-2007, 1:34 PM Reply   
Maybe the CC platform is just better than the others, I don't know.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-11-2007, 1:58 PM Reply   
Thats cuz Correct Crafts Rule!!!! They are the best boats ever and ever...Go tell it on the Mountain!!!! WOOOOOHOOOOO!
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-11-2007, 2:14 PM Reply   
Julie, have you ever been putting your board on when a friend needed to jump into to relieve themselves? Sucks sharing a platform thats barely big enough for one person...
anyways, I prefer teak, prefer the looks and durability of it, I parked a standup jetski on it when we were partying last year, minimal scratching and as others said, as long as cared for... weathered wood looks cool
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-11-2007, 2:22 PM Reply   
Billy - looks like all the v-drive/air CC's have a very similar size platform (+/- an inch or 2 at the most). With the beam on the 210 wider than the 211, I'd say it's probably a bit bigger/wider. They all seem to extend the same distance from the transom.

Glad you finally agree CC rulz! Now that we've finally converted you, go to the top of the mountain and shout it out! LOL!!
Old     (jules)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-11-2007, 2:28 PM Reply   
Duane, all the time. There is enough room for someone to get in the water even when my (or anyone else's) board is on. There probably isn't room for much more than that, though. But that's fine. All the less pee to launch into... All that I am saying is that I think that the platform size is fine. No big deal.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-12-2007, 7:11 AM Reply   
Unfortunatley we dont have any mountains here in Fl.to shout off of. Anyway, I gotta go and polish my Meloon statue that I keep/worship in my rose garden. Talk to ya later,
Billy

p.s. Teak and Mc kick a$$
Old     (flip360)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-12-2007, 8:31 AM Reply   
Why does it always turn into a brand argument?????
Old    bocephus            07-12-2007, 8:34 AM Reply   

quote:

By Cory210 (flip360) on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 8:31 am:

Why does it always turn into a brand argument?????

Well, in this case I think the CC fiberglass platform is much, much better than some of the others that I have seen. It's so heavy and built so well that I don't think most of the things that have been stated above could happen to the CC platform.
Old     (heeb_v215)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-13-2007, 11:49 PM Reply   
Hey guy's was wondering if anyone know how to get the new style fiberglass platform for the Sanger v215 Red in color Thanks
Old     (rickykamberra)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-14-2007, 8:42 AM Reply   
I have a fiberglass platform, but I would go with Teak if I had a say.