Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 12, 2006

Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-21-2006, 4:58 PM Reply   
Heres my story:
My company flew me back to Cali for some training and agreed to let me fly out the weekend before and stay the weekend after so I could hang out with my brother(Trevorcentralcali)and ride the Delta. I had been stoked for this trip for about a month and couldnt wait to get on the delta again, so Trevor and I met up with Gary,Tim,Sherman and Doug Saturday morning(June 3rd). We jumped on Garys 215 to go find the butter, actually we had to get some oil for Garys boat first.I was the first one up and was feeling good. Then it happend, it was my 5th hs jump, I took a Indy grab a few feet into the flats and my lead leg buckled like I got clipped. I didnt feel any instant pain but new I hurt my knee. I flew back to AZ the next morning, had an MRI a week later and just found out yesterday Ive got a torn ACL,Grade 2 MCL tear and a lateral Meniscus tear, having surgery in six weeks. I probably wont be riding again until next Jan or Feb. Just thought Id share my pain.
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-21-2006, 5:20 PM Reply   
Steve, that really sucks, it sucks even more that your brother (that crazy mofo named Trevor) blew his about the same time too (or so I hear).

Take care and speedy recovery to both of you! Does this mean that you'll never be back to visit the Delta cause "it's bad luck"??
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-21-2006, 5:21 PM Reply   
Steve, no, no, no. I am sorry to hear that. I wish you a speedy (and fast) recovery.

Upload
Upload
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-21-2006, 6:22 PM Reply   
That sucks

i bet your job/boss was real happy to hear it :-(

i wonder does one lie to their jobs and tell them another story on how they hurt themselves??
Old     (sherman)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-21-2006, 6:45 PM Reply   
sorry to hear that steve we want you back up in nor cal
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-21-2006, 6:47 PM Reply   
You may be having a 'mare but you've got to feel sorry for this guy...

Upload

MIcahel Owen f***ed up his ACL while playing for England in the World Cup earlier this week.

I assume you're not required by your country to play in the World Cup?
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-21-2006, 7:43 PM Reply   
Steve, I had the exact same injury two summers ago the day before my college semester started back! I had to walk around on campus with an immobilized knee and crutches. I had it rebuilt 6 weeks later. The best advice I can give you is to go to the gym and regain your range of motion in the joint and get that swelling down! The reason they do't repair it immediately is because the blood in the joint will cause gnarly scarring, and you'll never be the same. Good luck man, I feel your pain.
Old     (peterc4)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-21-2006, 8:15 PM Reply   
That sucks. Best of luck with a speedy recovery.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-21-2006, 8:26 PM Reply   
steve,

sorry to hear...man be thankful your surgery is only 6 weeks out and back on the h20 in 6-7 month... that is speedy...

will keep you and your surgeon in prayer...
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-22-2006, 4:33 AM Reply   
Sorry to hear that about you Steve.

6 weeks ago today I fell 18' through a ceiling and broke my arm and leg. Well I shattered my arm in 12 places. 18 screws, 3 plates and 1 pin later I'm spending my summer in a wheel chair. The thing that sucks is that I just landed my first toeside w2w two days before. Not that I can't work. So frustrating. So I feel your pain.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-22-2006, 5:25 AM Reply   
Sorry to hear, been there done that. Here's to a speedy recovery.

Bill, to answer your question, I think most jobs/bosses are aware of our recreational activity. How many of us bring a WB mag to work, ask to leave early on the perfect weather days to go ride, take the boat in tow to hit the water as soon as we get off, get caught reading WW at work, etc......? When I blew out my leg and had to take 3 months off of work, My boss knew how I'd done it without having to ask.
Old     (brick)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-22-2006, 7:33 AM Reply   
That's two knees behind that boat now, makes me wonder a bit! Eventhough we were pretty sure that day, it still sucks to hear the definitive diagnosis.

Trey gave you some good advice about working on the range-of-motion and flexibility prior to surgery. Gary's surgeon had him with a physical therapist immediately after the injury. He would not operate until he could get his leg straightened.

Best of luck and keep us posted.
Old     (h20diva)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-22-2006, 7:56 AM Reply   
You must be able to handle pain well... I would have never guessed by your attitude you had done that much damage. Good luck to you, I hope your wife plays a good nurse!

Tim: You better be careful.... you ride behind that boat!!!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-22-2006, 8:10 AM Reply   
Tim: My buddies X-star has 3 knees to it's name, so he's got Gary's boat beat for now.

Gary: I'm not so sure I want to ride behind your boat after all. LOL...

Steve: That sucks bro. I'm sorry to hear it. I'm always bummed to read about injuries here.
Old     (denjoe)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-22-2006, 11:12 AM Reply   
That totally sucks, Gary has a VOODOO boat!!!
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-22-2006, 1:09 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the support Guys and Gals. I forgot to mention in my story that as soon as I got back to the dock Gary helped me up to the R.V and Stacy went straight home and brought me back Garys leg brace, ice brace and meds, I was already on Garys crutch, so I really want Stacy and Gary to know how thankful I was fot that and of course my brother Trevor for taking me back to the airport the following morning. I also found out today that surgery is August 10th.

P.S Im still wearing Garys leg immobilizer