Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-07-2011, 12:54 PM Reply   
Does the 1993 - 1998 SN PCM 5.8 HO have the same EFI or MPI through all years?
What year motors had glitches more than others?
I am looking for the most reliable PCM EFI/MPI between 1993 and 1998

Last edited by rexlex01; 10-07-2011 at 12:59 PM. Reason: clarification
Old     (tx_foilhead)      Join Date: Apr 2009       10-07-2011, 4:16 PM Reply   
There were 2 motors, the Pro Boss and then the GT 40. The Pro Boss had throttle body injection that was tied to the ProTec ignition other than that it was the same as the carbed Pro Boss motors. The ProTec ignition will fail and there are no spare parts anymore. The fix is to remove everything and replace with a standard distributor and a carb, about $1100. You probably want the GT40 which became available around 95. The 3 motors are rated basically the same depending on which brochure you read. The ProTec is the only issue and it's not that big of a deal, mine has lasted over 900hrs. I'll be replacing it this winter because it seems I've lost a step of two out of the hole this year, but nothing bad enough to waste water time to do it. Having spent a lot of time with the Pro Boss and The GT40, I have no preference, when properly tuned I can't tell the difference.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-16-2011, 9:40 PM Reply   
1994 Ski Nautiques had the throttle body EFI, it is less desirable.

Late 1994- till they ran out of the Ford blocks were the GT-40 variety. Similar looking EFI setup to a Ford 5.0 Mustang with the throttle body on the side of the main common air runner. This is the desirable motor. Very torquey and bullet-proof.